Choose style:

Author Topic: Comic Sans MS Font [SOLVED]  (Read 5250 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Comic Sans MS Font [SOLVED]
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »
Hello Peppermint Forum,

I have a curiosity question concerning Comic Sans MS font.  Lately I've noticed that when I choose Comic Sans MS font for either my Gmail or Outlook account, Comic Sans MS font now renders itself as if it were a standard Sans Serif font.  Might anyone have a guess as to what could be the cause of this?

Thank you,

perknh 

The link below shows what Comic Sans MS font looks like.  As you can see, Comic Sans MS has a very distinctive look, so it is easy to tell when this font is not rendering itself correctly.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/ComicSansSpec3.svg/330px-ComicSansSpec3.svg.png
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:57:03 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Comic Sans MS Font
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:52:33 pm »
So I take it the problem is only in a web browser ? .. which browser ?

Is the font installed locally ? .. and does it display correctly in say OpenOffice or similar ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:02:28 pm »
So I take it the problem is only in a web browser ? .. which browser ?

Is the font installed locally ? .. and does it display correctly in say OpenOffice or similar ?

Hello PCNetSpec.

Yes, I've experienced this in both Chromium and Opera browsers.  No, the font is not installed locally, but I never use OpenOffice, or any other programs other then Skype.  I've now removed Manjaro, in preparation for Unity 16.04 to go onto my internal drive, but when I had Manjaro installed I had the same problem with Comic Sans MS font.  I'm quite sure this isn't a Peppermint issue per se --maybe a Linux issue, I don't know.  I haven't had Windows on our computers for ages.  I can reality test this with a Windows 7 installation if you'd like, but I hate the idea of doing so.  (Then I would have to post about this issue in scifidude79's thread entitled "I feel dirty" --as a confessional.)

I haven't tried to install Comic Sans MS font internally because the email services I use are all cloud-based.  Yahoo Mail does not have Comic Sans MS font as an option, but Gmail and Outlook (Hotmail) do, but no luck with either.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:33 am »
Well I won't be posting in "I feel Dirty"

Seems to be working fine here in wiindows 10 and yes its installed locally

I Hope, perknh,  this helps towards solving the riddle  :-\  and saves you getting down and dirty  :P    :P     :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:24:48 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:01:41 am »
Well I won't be posting in "I feel Dirty"

Seems to be working fine here in wiindows 10 and yes its installed locally

I Hope, perknh,  this helps towards solving the riddle  :-\  and saves you getting down and dirty  :P    :P     :P

Thank you for investigating this, zebedeeboss.  Truth is mrs.perknh and I have had the luxury of being able to live Windows-free for quite some time now.  I realize that not everyone has this luxury to do this, or even the desire to do so.  The last time I installed Windows was to see what Windows 8.1 was all about.  To do this I had to first install Windows 7, try to install Windows 8, call India, argue with who I am sure would have been a nice lady outside of Microsoft, repeat and enter sets of security code questions, install Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1, and then, finally, after managing to install 8.1, discover that updating correctly was to become a non-supported, unsolvable problem for me.  And, all of this to use a prettier version of Skype!  I found it wasn't worth it for me.

zeebedeeboss and PCNetSpec, the mystery for me now is:  what happened to Comic Sans MS font working in Linux?  It used to work in Linux.  I used to use it all of the time.  One day, and I don't know when, it stopped working.  I wonder why it doesn't work in Linux any longer.  :-\

And, thank you zeebedeeboss, for investigating that.  You proved an important point, it works in Windows, but apparently not in Linux any longer.

perknh

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:33 am »

I've tried it in Firefox on Peppermint, as I don't use Opera. I forced the browser to use Comic Sans.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:31 am »

as per murraymint screen shot, I just went one further with sans serif = Comic Sans MS - Firefox on Pep6
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:58:33 am by zebedeeboss »

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k - 1 x 43" 4k

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »
Okay, murraymint and zebedeeboss, your point is well taken.  I can have my Comic Sans MS font back in our Linux distribution if I can force the browser to use Comic Sans MS.

So now I've installed Firefox, and as you both know, even in Advanced Settings in Content, there is no Comic Sans MS within that Firefox's list of fonts.  This means to me that I have to go into the inner working of Firefox and change something there to make this forced change happen. 

Now my questions are: How do you do this?  And since Chromium browser is open source too, is there something I can do that is of an equivalent nature in Chromium to that of Firefox (somehow enter into the inner workings of Chromium), which will allow me to force Comic Sans MS to become the default font in Chromium too?  If I can do these things, I may be able to eventually figure out how to make Comic Sans MS the default font within Opera on my own.

Thank you,

perknh

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
So now I've installed Firefox, and as you both know, even in Advanced Settings in Content, there is no Comic Sans MS within that Firefox's list of fonts.  This means to me that I have to go into the inner working of Firefox and change something there to make this forced change happen. 

OK thats odd cos it was there in mine - but then I have installed wine and I believe it comes with MS TTF's - there is somewhere in the forums a command to just load the fonts I believe ?    This is where I hope one of the clever peeps will help out.

Linux User #565092

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:00:55 pm »
Have you installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer ? (or lubuntu-restricted-extras and ubuntu-restricted-extras)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »
Hello ​PCNetSpec​,

I just installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer, and, yes, I'm good now.

PCNetSpec, zebedeeboss, and murraymint, that was a days worth of adventure for me, and I thank you all for your excellent detective work and your help.

I am copying this post from my Gmail account in Opera browser, and, although you can't see this post from there, my Comic Sans MS font is working as it should again.  But, I can see Comic Sans MS is also working fine in Peppermint forum now --although it won't become my font of choice in this forum, this post is worthy of an exception.  ;)

Between yesterday and today, I've learned quite a bit in Peppermint forum. (emegra started an interesting thread yesterday which was about the calendar command.)

Thank you everyone for all of your help.  I'm very happy to regain the use of this font again.  :)

perknh

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Comic Sans MS Font [SOLVED]
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 05:20:13 pm »
The very first thing I do after installing Peppermint:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras lubuntu-restricted-extras
that pulls in a few additional and useful things (restricted by copyright) including ttf-mscorefonts-installer ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »
Hello PCNetSpec,

This is good to know.  Do these commands so the same thing as the initial option we are given when we are asked if we would like to add proprietary software (along with updates) during installation?  :-\

perknh

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:43 pm »
I don't think so. I know I got my fonts shortly after installing Wine, when I discovered that Microsoft Word 97 had about one or three fonts in it.

Glad you got it sorted (by the way I really don't like Comic Sans, even when reading comics ;) )

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 06:06:22 pm »
Do these commands so the same thing as the initial option we are given when we are asked if we would like to add proprietary software

No.... well they both add mp3 support but they do it differently, ubuntu-restricted-extras adds more codecs (and other things) than the tick box during installation .. I do both ;)

ubuntu-restricted-extras
Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and
decoding, support for various other audio formats (GStreamer plugins),
Microsoft fonts, Flash plugin, LAME (to create compressed audio files),
and DVD playback.

lubuntu-restricted-extras
Apparently this is now just a metapackage that pulls in ubuntu-restricted extras .. so you can ignore this one and just install ubuntu-restricted extras.

First 2 commands I run on ANY new install (after updating):
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras libdvdread4
then now you've also pulled in libdvdread4, that script needs to be run so it can pull in libdvdcss to allow you to play commercial DVD that use content scrambling (which is pretty much all of them .. though VLC doesn't need this, most other players will):
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:10:04 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec