Choose style:

Author Topic: New Review and Desktop Setup for Peppermint 6 by Windowshelpguy  (Read 1397 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 & 9 - 64bit
Windows Help Guy (aka Linux Help Guy before his site was removed) has started a new series on Peppermint 6.  Great series for new users especially.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: New Review and Desktop Setup for Peppermint 6 by Windowshelpguy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 01:15:36 pm »
Is this a new series .. looks a lot like a repost of his old series before he went all Arch/Manjaro ?

In fact all of the non game video's on the WHG channel (including the bunsen labs and i3) ones just look like reposts of old videos from his LHG days.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:36:32 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:50:54 pm »
Is this a new series .. looks a lot like a repost of his old series before he went all Arch/Manjaro ?

In fact all of the non game video's on the WHG channel (including the bunsen labs and i3) ones just look like reposts of old videos from his LHG days.

100% correct.  Looks like he "found" some old content that was "lost" when the old LHG site was taken down.  In fact if you check the comments you will see I mention LHG.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »
Even if some of it is repeated, at least it is available for users to look at who did not see it before.  His old site is completely gone so these tutorials being available are a good thing for current or new Peppermint 6 users who may now be able to take advantage of some features they didn't know about.  Just sayin.  :)

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:19 pm »
My Peppermint 6 32bits review:

Good things:

- Lightweight distro
- Easy to use
- Netbook friendly
- Only the essential programs pre-installed and no bloatware
- Pulseaudio
- Good community and great forum support

Bad things:

- Xfwm4: screen tearing
- Mix of elements: it's hard to personalize the desktop and very confusing.
- Linux Mint software manager: it's slow and outdated.

Final note: tablets and mobile devices are the future. My humble opinion: go on with a lighweight distro, easy to use and a middle road between android and ubuntu.
Cheers.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:51:48 pm »
Screen tearing has to do with your graphics drivers, not the window manager.  There are fixes for just about any GPU manufacturer, but not necessarily every chipset.

Tablets and mobile devices are indeed the future, even the present for many.  (I'm on my phone right now)  However, don't expect those devices to totally rule until they can perform all of the tasks of desktops and laptops.  Presently, they're not that great for office work and are of limited use to artists and people of other professions that are computer intensive.  (programming, to name one)  They're also only so-so for gaming.  For those things and for the simple fact that many people are more comfortable with computers, we need desktop operating systems.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:18:42 am by scifidude79 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 01:05:09 pm »
- Xfwm4: screen tearing

Fix it at the graphics driver level, or disable desktop effects .. if we'd have stuck with pcmanfm, you'd not have desktop effects anyway

Your kidding right .. ever tried customising stock LXDE  :-\

Try getting compiz to work in stock LXDE .. or do you prefer having to add a compositing manager before dock transparency works  :-\

Peppermint will NEVER be "just another LXDE / Xfce / <insert stock DE> distro" only differentiated by wallpaper/theme/default app choice, we will continue to cherry pick the best components wherever they may come from and try to integrate them into a whole .. what exactly don't you like about that ?

- Linux Mint software manager: it's slow and outdated.

Show us a better one (remember to stay light) that licensing allows, and that was available at the time Peppermint 6 was released (or even now).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:47:35 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
I agree with you PCNetSpec, but why not a software manager like linux lite? It's very beginner friendly and fast. Mandriva had a good software manager. Or something like android...Peppermint Play?
I don 't know, i'm not a developer, only a user.
Cheers.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:49:37 pm »
If you mean this:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#installsoftware
that looks like a step backwards to me .. no graphics, no reviews, and doesn't cover all the software in the repos .. synaptic(like) but with LESS options and power.

You have to remember there's a limited amount of manpower here at Peppermint .. we're not Google, so we have to pick and choose what we put our efforts into .. we also want to stay light which ruled out the deepin software manager or that Ubuntu monstrosity, the Lubuntu one is limited, and AppGrid had Licensing issues .. so.......

This time around Ubuntu are going with Gnome Software .. from what I've seen I'm not crazy about that either

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:16 pm »
I understand you. Something like google play but the licenses and the legal questions are the problem.
Gnome? Gnome it's heavy. Lubuntu software manager is not good.
Sorry if my question is boring: why Peppermint doesn't create your own software manager? Do you understand? Something Peppermint unique from all the other distros, like "ice"functionality.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:35 pm »
Simple answer .. limited resources.

We *might* eventually, but with limited resources and manpower it's not a priority .. we have to select our priorities wisely .. I'm guessing you don't understand how many man hours it takes to write something with as much functionality as MintInstall, how small the Peppermint team is, and that we have day jobs too ;)

If on the other hand someone else writes something open source that's a better fit we'll consider it .. but currently that doesn't exist.

Gnome? Gnome it's heavy.

I was talking about JUST the Gnome software manager .. I haven't had time to figure out how heavy that is on its own yet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:30:44 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 10:25:33 pm »

Your kidding right .. ever tried customising stock LXDE  :-\

Heh!  I forgot about that, until I read your post.

I was playing around with LXDE & Openbox, on top of Ubu, for a while (before discovering Peppermint).

Example:

Believe me, Peppermint is a cakewalk by comparison ...  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »
If you want a fast software installer, use Synaptic.  It's already installed.  The only thing faster (and only marginally so) is running Apt commands in the terminal.

Peppermint's desktop is really simple to customize.  The included GUI tools allow you to do a lot of things that require editing text files in stock LXDE.

By the way, awesome wallpaper, VinDSL. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:08:58 pm by scifidude79 »