Choose style:

Author Topic: Brave - A New Browser  (Read 1270 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Brave - A New Browser
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:29:13 am »
Brave - https://www.brave.com/

I did search but could not find anything so hope this is not a repeat. Saw this mentioned on another Forum and wondered if anyone had tried it yet.   I am using it now having installed it from the .deb file and it seems OK.

These Forums appear to be working OK - You Tube works fine - Google Plus works OK.

You'll get all your technical details off the WebSite no doubt.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts  :)

Edit: PS - I am not affiliated with the Browser, neither is any of my family -  :P, so no monies are being made here, it's just for info
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:33:37 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: Brave - A New Browser
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:46:13 am »
"Step Two: Brave Replaces Ads
We recognize that ads pay for most of our web content. Ads are not going away. So we replace the bad ads with Brave Ads, which we use to pay publishers and users. Brave Ads use anonymous protocols not tracking pixels to confirm impressions (details about anonymity coming soon). And unlike the ads we remove, Brave ad replacements have a negligible effect on loading performance. "

Now why would I want that?

Brave is based om Chromium. It doesn't do anything I can't accomplish by installing add-ons.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:28:42 am »
So, from what I'm reading, we have a browser here that blocks ads that are already on sites and replaces them with their own ads.  So, you still have ads.  Unless, of course, you choose to pay for a site to be ad free.  I fail to see how that's any better than any other web browser with a plugin like AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin installed.  At least those plugins allow you a level of control.  For example, I have uBlock Origin deactivated on this site and on a few others, it's on everywhere else.  The only people I see who benefit from their "replace their ads with ours and allow users to pay to remove ads" deal is the makers of Brave.  That's great for them, not so much for anybody else.  (just my two cents, of course, which I think Brave would get 15% of, if I'm reading things correctly)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:30:17 am by scifidude79 »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:11:48 pm »
Newspaper giants threaten Brave over its ad-swapping browser
Newspaper owners claim that replacing native ads with others is a violation of copyright.

SOURCE:  http://www.businessinsider.com/newspaper-publishers-send-cease-and-desist-to-brave-browser-2016-4

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:35:14 am »
Newspaper owners claim that replacing native ads with others is a violation of copyright.

SOURCE:  http://www.businessinsider.com/newspaper-publishers-send-cease-and-desist-to-brave-browser-2016-4

Ya gotta lov a good "Cease and Desist" order  :)  Let the battle of the Lawyers commence
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:56:41 am »

Ya gotta lov a good "Cease and Desist" order  :)  Let the battle of the Lawyers commence
Not just the lawyers.  The outcome of any case, will also be very dependent on whether the judges are tech savvy enough to understand the basic principles and terminology of what a web browser does.  If it's the usual bunch of doddery old twits who became judges when gaslights were considered high tech.  The newspapers will certainly have it in the bag.  It'll be interesting to follow, that's for sure  ;).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:25:39 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 10:17:48 am »
I was wondering if it was legal to swap out ads on a page with your own.  I guess we'll be finding out soon.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:51 am »
I've personally dealt with two of the legal officers listed as signatories on that demand letter.  They're both heavy hitters, believe me.  One of them uses sports analogies in every sentence.  Drives me crazy.  I hate sports !  But, I digress.

I can attest to the fact that there are billions of dollars at play here - 5-6 billion annually at the company I deal with, alone.  We're not talking about a few pennies lost here n' there over blocked/replaced click-bait ads.

You wouldn't believe the amount of time, effort, and money that goes into these advertising campaigns and marketing initiatives.

Anyway, yes, this is going to be interesting, for sure !   8)