Choose style:

Author Topic: I need to add virtual display to display section to no longer existing xorg.conf  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Fringilla

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
I'm trying to use my old Android tablet as the second (extended) display for my laptop.
I want to follow steps described there: http://askubuntu.com/questions/28608/how-do-you-use-an-android-tablet-as-a-second-display by Prometheus (almost at the bottom).
But xrandr cannot find virtual output because it is not defined anywhere. The simplest way years ago was to edit xorg.conf which is no longer used in new distributions. But what to do now? Where is the best place to define desired virtual screen to keep the system clean? Should I create xorg.conf to override default settings? I'm not very sure about it.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
xorg.conf doesn't exist by default any more, but if you create one manually at this path

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

it *will* be acted upon.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fringilla

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I'm afraid it is not so easy.
I booted to the recovery mode and run
Code: [Select]
X -configure
in root console (had to remount filesystem with rw permissions before).
The configuring command ended with error (The number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.) There was just the laptop with no additional screens plugged in.
Because of the error I didn't place the generated file to /etc/X11/ and viewed its content for sure. There is a "Screen" section of course, but I think it doesn't contain any valid values (I cannot see the well known numbers about resolution and refreshing frequency of my laptop screen).
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection
So I don't think it would be a good idea to add data about virtual display there and use this file in /etc/X11/.
I tried to create empty xorg.conf and place only something like this:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "My Screen"
    Subsection "Display"
        Virtual 768 1024
    EndSubSection
EndSection
there hoping the rest would be taken from default settings. It resulted to the bad main (and only) screen resolution, so I deleted the file.
This problem doesn't have some key priority for me, I try it just to raise my user comfort a bit above average. It's easy to use tablet as secondary display for Windows with apps like Splashtop. There are allways server programs for Windows or Mac, but Linux doesn't worth to be supported. Splashtop allows mirroring the PC display to the Android device, but that's all. And that's quite a pity.

Offline Fringilla

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I tried another way and used existing output (DP-1 and VGA-1) for xrandr --addmode command instead of trying to define VIRTUAL output somewhere.
But running
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 768x1024_60.00 --left-of LVDS-1
gave me this (verbose mode):
screen 0: 2304x800 607x211 mm  96.30dpi
crtc 0:     1280x800   59.9 +1024+0 "LVDS-1"
crtc 1: 768x1024_60.00   60.0 +0+0 "VGA-1"
xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed
crtc 0: disable
crtc 1: disable
screen 0: revert
crtc 0: revert
crtc 1: revert
I want to use my tablet vertically but I tried horizontal resolution too, just to be sure, but it didn't work either. I'm already using X.org graphic driver which is recommended to solve this issue. Any ideas, please?