Author Topic: How Do I Change Peppermint 's /etc/grub.d/40_custom? [SOLVED]  (Read 6882 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How Do I Change Peppermint 's /etc/grub.d/40_custom?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »
You're correct .. any Manjaro kernel updates will get added to the Manjaro GRUB.

Peppermint kernel updates will get applied to the Peppermint GRUB, which gets chainloaded from Manjaro

So all is well with the world :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 08:18:57 pm »
OK Glad perknh is sorted but it raises further questions for me please. Imagine the following scenario (my scenario).

Peppermint OS installed and working on sdb1 (SSD) with it's grub installed on sda (HDD), Manjaro installed on sdb2 with it's grub installed on sdb (SSD)

Now forget for the minute please the question - WHY do it this way?  That will be asked next, once I get it set in my mind, whats actually happening.

I reboot the PC - sdb boots first in the BIOS so I am now running Manjaro's grub and it boots into Peppermint (yes it does support boot into the last OS chosen)

Along comes a large Peppermint update, with a kernel update.  OK Scenario set.... Question time...

1. Which Grub gets updated?   The one I booted from - Manjaro's on sdb(SSD) or the one the OS knows is installed on sda(HDD) and the one where Peppermint originally installed it to?

2. Seeing as I use Peppermint more than I do Manjaro, is it more efficient to have Peppermint's Grub on the SSD?  or does it not really matter boot speed wise that I have Manjaro's Grub presented because it uses its own setup and boots into Manjaro and Peppermint.

Whereas, if I had it on the HDD, I would need to press F7 at boot to choose the HDD Manjaro's Grub was installed on to get Manjaro to boot. (If I go down that route, which depends on the answer to Q2 above :)    ))
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:05:09 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 05:41:36 am »
This is called chainloading...

Both OS's have their own versions of GRUB, so Peppermint will update it's own GRUB .. the Manjaro "master" will just (when Peppermint is selected) chainload the Peppermint version of GRUB.

So they both have their own version of GRUB which chainload each other, but the master boot record points to the Manjaro one .. the Manjaro one then can either boot Manjaro, or call the Peppermint GRUB (which in turn could either boot Peppermint, or call the Manjaro GRUB)

I don't think it'd make much difference where GRUB is ... it's pretty small and its job is just to point at the kernel and start loading it which is pretty much over as soon as you select which to boot .. more important is where the kernel and the OS is
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec