Author Topic: How Do I Change Peppermint 's /etc/grub.d/40_custom? [SOLVED]  (Read 6898 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How Do I Change Peppermint 's /etc/grub.d/40_custom?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 08:11:54 am »
Okay then, it's starting to make sense....

If you power off your PC, then disconnect your external Peppermint drive, then power on your PC .. does Manjaro boot ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:28 am »

Okay then, it's starting to make sense....

If you power off your PC, then disconnect your external Peppermint drive, then power on your PC .. does Manjaro boot ?

Yes, it does;)

You can get it to do that even if it was using Manjaro's Grub.  With Grub-Customizer (available on both distributions) there is an option to tell it which OS you want it to start by default or have it reboot into the last OS you used.  No doubt you could also achieve this by judicious editing of various files but as you should have guessed by now, I prefer the GUI route where available :)

zebedeeboss, this is the first time I have ever heard of this program.  However I can say this:  Me and "judicious editing of various files" would be two things that don't get along so well at this point in my Linux development.  In fact, aptitude-wise, I score low average with any clerical task.*

But, maybe with a tool, I could figure out how to do this.  ;)

Thank you.   

Off topic:

*I was so happy to hear years ago that the planet would eventually go paperless because of the invention of the computer.  This thought delighted me more than anyone can imagine.  And then, to my consternation, some group of b*stards came up with the idea of inventing the printer.  Let me just say that if there were to be a special place in hell for any group of people, I would like to see that that place is reserved for the inverters of the printer.  >:(
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:44 am »
Okay then, in your BIOS make the internal HDD the first boot device .. as opposed to your current setting of having USB boot first.

Then when you turn on your PC it'll automatically boot GRUB from Manjaro .. if this doesn't contain an entry for Peppermint let us know.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:17 am »
Hi perknh,

The program zebedeeboss mentioned (Grub-Customizer) is one that I mentioned here on the forum several times as one that I cannot recommend. It changes your entire grub installation scripts and logic so that people like PCNetSpec, myself and others will have trouble helping you fix any future problems that might turn up -- and turn up they (unfortunately) will.  ;)

In my experience, the program is incapable of handling certain situations, especially those that are a bit more complex (as you are experiencing with Manjaro right now) and eventually the entire grub installation becomes broken. Of course you can always re-install grub, but that is not what I call an elegant solution, nor is it the way that a good tool should function. So be forewarned should you decide to install and try to use Grub-Customizer in your system.

Regards,

-- Slim

Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 09:35:48 am »
and yet I have never had a problem with Grub-Customizer in the last 2-3 years that I have been using it and I can assure you, I have had some very complex system setups - multiple linux distro's and windows install partitions over 3 bootable HDD's.

but we can only speak as we find. 

If you understand the whole "Grub" thing then definitely stick with manually editing files, however, for a simpleton like myself who struggles to understand the "logic" behind scripting and the way things are set out  :-\ , Grub-customizer has been a godsend.   ;D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 10:57:58 am »
Okay then, in your BIOS make the internal HDD the first boot device .. as opposed to your current setting of having USB boot first.

Then when you turn on your PC it'll automatically boot GRUB from Manjaro .. if this doesn't contain an entry for Peppermint let us know.

You got it, PCNetSpec!  ;)

I changed my BIOS to boot from my internal drive with Manjaro, and then I removed the external drive containing Peppermint.  After that I updated GRUB in Manjaro (so there would be no more Peppermint).  Then I inserted the external drive containing Peppermint back into my computer, rebooted, and went to Peppermint.  Then I updated GRUB within Peppermint.  Now, I can boot directly into Peppermint, which is highlighted in green on my startup GRUB page.  I double-checked too:  this boot-up method persists.

I hope what I'm writing here makes some sense, and that I know what I'm talking about, but I think I'm good now, and without needing your cleaver workaround that I was using before.

Someday I hope to understand how all of this GRUB/Kernel stuff works because it sure is interesting.

Thank you very much, PCNetSpec.  You fixed the problem I was having.  :)

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 11:02:46 am »
perknh, I don't understand how you booted Peppermint again if you had removed it from the internal HDD's grub and you're now booting from the internal.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:26 am »
perknh, I don't understand how you booted Peppermint again if you had removed it from the internal HDD's grub and you're now booting from the internal.

Hello murraymint,

I updated GRUB in both Manjaro and Peppermint.  Have I done, or am I doing, something wrong here?  Everything seems to be working as it should.  ???

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:34 pm »
When you turn on yout PC and do NOTHING (hands off the keyboard) does it boot into Manjaro now ?

And please just answer my questions .. stop moving the goalposts by changing things ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
I'm just trying to visualise what you did. It's the "(so there would be no more Peppermint)" that's got me confused. If there was no more Peppermint because you updated Manjaro's grub, how did you manage to get Peppermint to boot?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »
When you turn on yout PC and do NOTHING (hands off the keyboard) does it boot into Manjaro now ?

And please just answer my questions .. stop moving the goalposts by changing things ;)

@PCNetSpec

Yes, it goes directly to Manjaro's GNU GRUB screen.

I'm just trying to visualise what you did. It's the "(so there would be no more Peppermint)" that's got me confused. If there was no more Peppermint because you updated Manjaro's grub, how did you manage to get Peppermint to boot?

That was only for a moment when I removed the external hard drive containing Peppermint.  That was when I updated GRUB in Manjaro without the external HDD containing Peppermint attached..  After that, I inserted the external HDD back into the computer, and I had Peppermint back again.  ;)

@PCNetSpec and @murraymint

Sorry for any confusion I created here.

perknh

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
The confusion continues...  ???

What he was asking was... once you see that Manjaro grub menu, and you don't press anything, which distro automatically boots then?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 03:24:12 pm »
The confusion continues...  ???

What he was asking was... once you see that Manjaro grub menu, and you don't press anything, which distro automatically boots then?

Peppermint automatically boots.  ;)

Peppermint is highlighted in the color of bright green on Manjaro's GNU GRUB screen, and, without my hands on the keyboard, my computer automatically boots directly into Peppermint.  Now, I think I might be able to change that.  I suspect it boots into the last distribution I was using, but I promise I won't change a thing without being instructed to do so.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »
I gather Manjaros GRUB "remembers" the last OS selected.

In any case as long as you're SURE it's the Manjaro grub .. and if it's green I'd guess you're right .. you're good to go.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:42 pm »
I gather Manjaros GRUB "remembers" the last OS selected.

In any case as long as you're SURE it's the Manjaro grub .. and if it's green I'd guess you're right .. you're good to go.

Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I'm positive it's Manjaro.  It says Manjaro, and in sizable letters!  I'm assuming it "remembers" the last OS selected, but I'm happy it's booting first into Peppermint now.  That's the way I want it to be.

One more question, PCNetSpec.  Does this mean that I should have no problems now when there is an update for Manjaro's kernel?  Does this change get me over that hump of the Manjaro kernel/GRUB problem we spoke about yesterday?

perknh