Author Topic: LXDE and Peppermint  (Read 2044 times)

Offline xfrank

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
LXDE and Peppermint
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:17:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but I wish to ask if Peppermint will stay with LXDE (modified with some Xfce components) or will move to Lxqt. I don't like Lxqt, as I don't like anything close to KDE (and I prefer GTK to QT). I like LXDE as it is, either in the "pure" form (Lubuntu) or the modified one (Peppermint). I searched in the LXDE forum and I cannot find any answer, there is not any thread that state clearly that LXDE development will stop in "x" months, following a path to Lxqt. So, is LXDE a project still alive, and if so, for how long? Forever?
Besides the fact that I don't like Lxqt, this DE is heavier on resources than LXDE and even than Xfce! (see: http://lxde.org/es/aggregator/sources/1/). So what's the point of this new DE? LXDE is good because is light, simple and yet aesthetically pleasant.  What will do the Peppermint team?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:38:03 pm by xfrank »

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: LXDE and Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:35 pm »
See this thread for as much of an answer as Team Peppermint is willing to give:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3251.0/topicseen.html

Offline xfrank

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:38 am »
Thanks. There are not yet conclusive answers, apparently.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
Hi xfrank...  and neither will they be.  They are staying fluid, open and ready to move as and when and if, their intended route is compromised.

You have to trust in Team Peppermint to produce another great distribution from the tools they have at their disposal.   Peppermint 6 was not a disappointment and I see not reason to think Peppermint 7 will be.

But one thing is perfectly clear... they are to going to give a conclusive/definitive answer...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:23:31 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline darthlukan

• Trusted User
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:07:28 pm »
But one thing is perfectly clear... they are to going to give a conclusive/definitive answer...

I leave bean-spilling to others :)
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:36:36 pm »
Linux have so many desktops. For a normal person and for a windows is scary.
My opinion: create your own way and don't mix elements. Continue with lxde or another desktop and improve it. Create a essential distro for everyday use.
Android it's for me the inspiration: easy to use, every person use it: childs, noobs, old people... Do you understand? Create your own way. Forgot linux mint and others distros.
It's just my opinion.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »
Linux have so many desktops. For a normal person and for a windows is scary.
My opinion: create your own way and don't mix elements. Continue with lxde or another desktop and improve it. Create a essential distro for everyday use.
Android it's for me the inspiration: easy to use, every person use it: childs, noobs, old people... Do you understand? Create your own way. Forgot linux mint and others distros.
It's just my opinion.

PepperMINT   -   LinuxMINT     it's just a name...  other than the update Manager I am pretty sure there is very little if any LM in Peppermint and even if there was....     for me "The Mix" of the good things from all the other DE's is what makes Peppermint so good.  It HAS been created the Peppermint way ...   8)

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:16:15 am »
PepperMINT   -   LinuxMINT     it's just a name...  other than the update Manager I am pretty sure there is very little if any LM in Peppermint and even if there was....     for me "The Mix" of the good things from all the other DE's is what makes Peppermint so good.  It HAS been created the Peppermint way ...   8)
I think Kendall Weaver originally developed Peppermint OS to provide a lighter, zippier alternative to Linux Mint.  Kendal was one of the devs at Linux MintLinux Mint didn't have a LXDE version.  Enter Peppermint One, very rapidly followed by Peppermint Ice.   These were based on Lubuntu.  Up to and including Peppermint Three, the desktop was basically the clunky and tired looking LXDE with its Openbox window manager.  Peppermint OS wanted and needed something more refined while maintaining lightness and speed.   Xfce was still too heavy, as was everything else that offered the criteria the Peppermint team wanted to use. 

The solution was to innovate and customize by utilizing the Xfwm4 and building LXDE on top of it.  Enter Peppermint Four.  With this release, a level of customization and graphical refinement had been reached that no other distro using LXDE had.  Even the LXDE devs realised that change was needed.  This is why they merged with Razor-qt.  The Peppermint team didn't and still don't want to go down the Qt route.  They continued to develop their own distinct desktop environment.  As it stands today, there's very little LXDE left. 

The teething days of Peppermint Four are now long gone.  From this period on the, Peppermint Desktop has become far more customizable and much easier for a newbie to understand than the original pure LXDE offering.  You had to know how to manipulate text file to do any serious customization.  Even then, the Openbox window manager placed a lot of constraints on what could be done.  Peppermint OS has come a long way in its ten year history.  It now stands as a very distinct and individual distro.  I'm sure Peppermint Seven will continue along this pathway of development and innovation ;).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:35:35 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 12:50:14 am »
Thank You AndyinMokum for a very informative history  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:45 am »
For a short while there *was* an LXDE version of Mint, and you're right Kendall was its creator:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1286

Here's a quote from Kendall from an interview:
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/03/inside-peppermint-linux-interview-with.html

Quote from: Kendall Weaver
I was working as a distribution maintainer for Linux Mint at the time, but Mint's tendency to err on the conservative side when it comes to included software left me wanting something edgier and more streamlined.

So after meeting Shane at the Black Rose Pub, they decided to start their own distro ...

Quote from:  Kendall Weaver
We came up with the name Peppermint because we wanted something kind of like Mint, but “spicier”.

So there *is* a tenuous link, but Peppermint has never been part of Linux Mint, and there is absolutely zero collusion between us .. we do however use some of their great software where it's the best for the job (Nemo IMHO being the best file manager available, bar non) as others are now using ours.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:51:55 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:23:41 pm »
Very informative. It's good to see this discusion taking place.
Thanks.