Choose style:

Author Topic: will it be better to run 32 bit os if i have 1 GB RAM?  (Read 1045 times)

harishpathangay

will it be better to run 32 bit os if i have 1 GB RAM?
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »
Hi,
I am using Peppermint OS 6 64-bit on Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  T2330  @ 1.60GHz with 1 GB RAM.
It is using 175 to 200MB on boot and performs good, no issues. I am not a heavy user. I do not do photo/video editing etc..

My Question is will Peppermint OS 6 32-bit run faster and with Less RAM on boot? I am expecting it will take 125 to 150MB?
Is it a valid expectation? or did i just revealed my ignorance? If not memory, at least will my applications run faster (CPU wise), because of 32 bit OS?

I do not want to download huge files and install and see this for myself. It is a very old laptop, reaching end of life. So i do not want to upgrade RAM on this one. I might buy new laptop sooner/later.

If anybody out there are running Peppermint 6 32 bit please share your boot time RAM usage with only default installation. No Additional Soft wares/Services configured to start on boot.

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: will it be better to run 32 bit os if i have 1 GB RAM?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:55:39 pm »
Hi harishpathangay, I don't have a 32-bit version installed at the moment.  When I was running Peppermint Six 32-bit on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook.  It was slightly lighter on resources compared to my 64-bit Fujitsu Siemens laptop.  I can't make an objective comparison for speed.  However, from what I've read.  64-bit machines maybe very slightly faster than a similar 32-bit machine.   The speed difference is so small, it's probably not even noticeable from a human perspective.  I would personally stay with the 64-bit.  Purely because Google Chrome and Chromium Browser are no longer supported on 32-bit.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:52:20 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »
In general, more hardware resources means more performance. If you have more RAM, you'll reap the benefits of more RAM (up to the 32bit addressing limit, if you're on 32bit), if you have higher clock speeds execution will be faster, etc. There is a "lookup factor" that comes into play when you have more RAM simply because you have more "addresses" to register. If you think of your contacts list, scrolling through 1,000,000 addresses will take you a lot longer than scrolling through 100. The same is true of RAM and disk space, but computers do this very quickly and efficiently. In fact, the time it takes a computer to register its resources on bootup (before your init system takes over execution) is so fast that it's negligible.

The computing world has largely moved away from 32bit architectures in favor of 64bit, and even then, there have been gains in the 128bit architecture space among hardware manufacturers (not yet in the consumer space as it's all being researched now) as well as in quantum CPUs. If you have 32bit hardware that you are still actively using and are unable to upgrade for whatever the reason, your best bet is to make sure to read up on who all is providing 32bit software (and how long they plan on maintaining it).

With regard to your question of performance: In general, you're going to get better performance out of a 64bit system than you will a 32bit one. Sure, you might find a few benchmarks among the hardcore whereby a 32bit system beats an old (comparable) 64bit system, but those are exceptions on display, not rules.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
As long as you stick to just 64bit (ie. no running 32bit apps in a multiarch environment) you'll likely see no measurable difference .. a 64bit CPU can run both 64bit code and 32bit code natively (no on chip emulation required) so will be happy with either OS, but the OS itself when running 32bit apps in a  multiarch OS will have the CPU flipping between 64bit and 32bit operating modes which theoretically would slow everything .. that said I doubt a human would notice.

In the real world, you'd likely see no noticeable performance difference between 32bit OS and a 64bit OS in low RAM .. but a noticeable difference where you exceed the 32bit addressing limit, simply because more RAM nearly always makes your system faster (though there's a law of diminishing returns on adding more above what you're actually likely to use).

RAM usage - there's no real reason why 64bit apps should use more RAM to do the same thing, but that's not always the case in the real world .. it used to be that a lot of 64bit apps were said to have been ported to 64bit badly, but those days are long behind us, if you find the odd 64bit app that's heavier than it's 32bit equivalent it's likely that the authors too the opportunity to add stuff, heck there'll even be the odd software that's lighter in 64bit because the authors took the opportunity to clean up the code.

Then there's the fact that memory addressing is highly unlikey to be the bottleneck on your system, that's likely to be I/O .. now when you figure that the difference in size between the 64bit and 32bit Peppermint ISO's is about 46MB across the entire ISO, by far the majority of which is only loaded when necessary (not all the time) I doubt if there'll be noticeably more I/O going on either.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no fixed and correct answer to your question, it depends what you have loaded at any one time .. but in 'real world' terms if there's a difference it'd likely be unnoticeable by a human
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:28:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »
Hi,
I am using Peppermint OS 6 32-bit on netbook with 1 GB RAM and runs great.
If Peppermint 7 only provides 64 bits, i will move for another distro.
Conclusion: with 1 GB RAM, i recomend 32 bits. Read in internet about this: Ubuntu, Linux Mint forums (same thing, Peppermint is ubuntu-based or something) or even in arch linux wiki. It's better.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:25:58 pm by Alex »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:01:10 pm »
a) There's absolutely no logical reason 32bit should be better than 64bit in limited RAM .. no matter which illogical bits of the interweb you've been reading.
and
b) Peppermint 7 *will* have a 32bit version .. but it'll probably be our last 32bit edition
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:54:40 pm »
Ubuntu will likely be going totally 64 bit by their next LTS.  Before long, you're likely going to be hard pressed to find 32 bit distributions.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 04:12:03 am »
Conclusion: with 1 GB RAM, i recomend 32 bits. Read in internet about this: Ubuntu, Linux Mint forums (same thing, Peppermint is ubuntu-based or something) or even in arch linux wiki. It's better.

Go to those forums and see how many "unanswered" questions there are.  Then go to those forums and Find at least six different answers to the same question and 9 times out of 10 they don't work.
Choose your sources wisely
Here you have the advise of an actual Developer of the OS and he will not sell you short - he has no reason to.  I have found the information in this forum to be accurate, informative and unbiased {except against windows  :P }. and yes I know I have left windows behind on my main machine but that is not because I dislike Windows, I just wanted one uniform platform to work with and I chose Linux and specifically Peppermint.   Shhh I digress - back to the main point.
If another Linux OS is good, they sing their praises here. They will never diss you for having a different opinion, they will disagree, but that just leads to healthy debate - like now.
You have your opinion and that is welcomed and most of the time the way a system "feels" to us is the only thing we can go on.
Don't give up on Peppermint just yet... it will probably see you to 2020 and beyond  :)  even if you are still using the 32bit version but if your machine can do 64bit you would be wise to change.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080