Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint? How to improve it? [Closed]  (Read 2190 times)

harishpathangay

Hi,
I am a Linux newbie. I am using Peppermint OS and noticed one thing.

Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint?  and How to improve it?
I used lxrandr and find that both have same screen resolution - 1280x800

URL for Images :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwm0GFUcfiBscU95bkxuNmRrbDg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwm0GFUcfiBsb0c1XzBPZFRJaVk/view?usp=sharing

How to attach images to this topic?

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:38:16 am by harishpathangay »

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint? How to improve it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:11:05 pm »
All I can see is that your desktop icons seem slightly bigger, and spacing between them is larger for sure. That's why 9 icons fit vertically on the Peppermint desktop, vs 7 on the other system. The LXDE Desktop Environment makes use of PCManFM to manage the desktop. In order to change the size of the desktop icons you need to access PCManFM Preferences and set a smaller icon size. Open PCManFM and Go to Menu → Edit → Preferences → Display tab

I have no way of checking at the moment, I don't run the original LXDE Desktop anymore. I'm sure someone else can/will correct me if necessary.

Normally I post images to imgur.com an put the link between img tags.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:53:00 pm by Capivara »
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »
Already explained in your other topic  :)

In stock LXDE, pcmanfm or openbox controls the desktop (including icon size, labels, and spacing).

In Peppermint 6, nemo controls the desktop (including icon size, labels, and spacing).

So the two desktops behave entirely differently

Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint?  and How to improve it?

How to "improve" it in what ? .. Peppermint 6 or LXDE ?

It'd be hard to tell you how to "improve it" when you haven't said which you prefer, though as you're asking on the Peppermint forum I'm tempted to think you want help getting Peppermints icons to be larger (like LXDE's) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 05:24:17 pm »
Hi harishpathangay, how's it going?  To post images to this site, you need to use an image hosting site, such as Imgur: imgur.com or Postimage.org: postimage.org.  Upload your image(s) to these sites.  These are good sites to make SSBs with the Ice tool.  It'll make future use really convenient  ;).  You will find links to your images already formatted for different uses.  For Imgur, choose the one for BBCode (message boards & forums).  For Postimage.org, choose the one for Thumbnail for Forums (1) and copy the links.  Paste them into the forum editor.  You do not need to encapsulate these links or modify them.  I suggest you have a play around to familiarise yourself with the sites's functions.  Use the Preview button in the forum editor to check how they look.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
Hi, Harishpathangay.

I found this superb website about lxde: http://lxlinux.com/
Hope this helps.

harishpathangay

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:55:24 am »
Hi,
Thanks to all for your inputs.
I did adjustments in LXDE, PCManFM as suggested and was able to get 9 Icons in my Desktop.
The Icons appear much smaller than my Peppermint Desktop. Why? It is the same screen resolution.
Please look at the images below.

The Icon size seems to be very small in LXDE when compared to Peppermint DE. Why?

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:16:38 am »
Hi harishpathangay,

I really think that questions about using and customizing a distro that is not Peppermint OS are best asked on the other distro's forum pages.  ;)

Nevertheless, I can tell you that the icon spacing is larger on the LXDE screen. So although the icons there are now smaller than those on the Peppermint desktop, they have more empty space surrounding each one. This is quite possibly the result of PCManFM being used rather than Nemo. If this bothers you so much then try installing Nemo on your other distro.

For further questions about other distros I suggest posting on the other forum that is moderated by our own PCNetSpec, but is not a Peppermint OS forum -- it is also a good and friendly forum. And you have better chances of finding people there who know more about your other distro. ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

harishpathangay

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:37:09 am »
Hi Slim.Fatz,
I am not using any other distro. I am using Peppermint with both LXDE desktop and Peppermint DE.
But you need not be so restrictive in a forum particularly because GNU Linux is all about assembly of various packages only.I will post in LXDE Forum as well taking your inputs.

My Question is not a comparison for NEMO or PCManFM.  If you look at the images, it is not clearly a Icon Spacing Issue, I feel that Icon Size itself is rendered small.
My Question is actually, the OS is same,Icon Theme is same,Screen Resolution using Lxrandr is also same, Xorg is same, GTK Tool kit [widget rendering] is same but how two programs display their icons and desktop space in different scales? Should it not be the same? Is it because Nemo is GTK-3 and PcManFM is GTK-2 for Widget Renderings? Will that make a difference?

I am not a Linux person, but i am not able to understand the difference in terms of software component which is responsible for this shortage of screen space and icon size being handled differently in different DE. It is a generic linux question i think, it is not even specific to peppermint os i guess.

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:03:57 am »

I am not a Linux person, but i am not able to understand the difference in terms of software component which is responsible for this shortage of screen space and icon size being handled differently in different DE. It is a generic linux question i think, it is not even specific to peppermint os i guess.

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay

Your question, "Why?", cannot be answered in a satisfactory way. Every DE has its own way of doing things. If you install MATE, Cinnamon or KDE for example, it will look different once again. Just pick the one you like most.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:13:36 am »
My Question is not a comparison for NEMO or PCManFM.  If you look at the images, it is not clearly a Icon Spacing Issue, I feel that Icon Size itself is rendered small.

Have you checked the Icon size on each desktop.   You say it is not a spacing issue but it clearly looks like it is one or the other.  I too am a Linux Novice and can only speak in generic terms and not point you to actual settings within each desktop.

Good luck figuring it out...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:37:36 am »
As far as I know there is no way to change the default icon spacing in pcmanfm .. someone created a patch a while ago, but I've never tested it so can't say if it works.
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/31316-7-4-2-Desktop-icon-spacing-in-LXDE-Are-you-kidding
(if you try it, don't blame us if it breaks stuff)

This was ONE of the reasons we switched to Nemo .. better desktop control.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:53:52 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec,
Thanks for your inputs.
At last i am able to some what make LXDE better by fitting 8-icons, without much reduction in icon size.
Surprisingly the Fix was to reduce the Icon or Desktop Font Size to 8 in Desktop Preferences Dialog.

I do not know how things work in Linux. But i would definitely expect Graphical Scale, Consistency and Screen Space Ratio in-terms of resolution and space to be similar or standard across DE's.

Any case it is not valuable information for Peppermint Users in Peppermint DE. Already is quite good only.
It is just for sharing information only.

Please consider the thread as closed.(How do i mark a topic as closed?, my bad!!!!)
This forum has been really helpful and patient in replying to my ignorant or absurd questions.

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:13 pm »
Hi harishpathangay,

Sorry, I thought you were using LXDE distro:-X

To mark your thread closed or solved: go to the first message with which you started this thread and look for the button named Modify (at the top right corner of the message -- only you can see/use this button). After clicking it, go into the top line named Subject: and add either [CLOSED] or [SOLVED] at the end of the subject text "Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint? How to improve it?" and finally click on the Post button.

As far as understanding why the spacings are different and why changing the icon text size changes the spacings, you must understand that different people have programmed these different apps and desktops, and they do not necessarily follow any fixed rules about how things must look and behave, nor do they necessarily communicate with each other about these things. So actually it is rather remarkable that the different desktops even come close to looking and behaving so similarly.  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:32:21 pm by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 01:37:01 pm »
I don't understand why you'd expect icon size /spacing to be consistent across DE's .. that's like saying Win10 should have the same UI and menu as Win95  or there's no room for software like WindowBlinds, etc.  ???

A different "Desktop Environment" should tell you to expect differences in the desktop environment, or why bother having more than one ? .. Linux is about CHOICE so has many DE's to choose from and they all behave sightly differently ;)

Take for example our desktop (controlled by nemo), if you right-click a desktop icon there's an option to "Resize Icon", LXDE does not have this feature .. that said LXDE is designed to be  very lightweight on system resources sometimes this comes at the expense of 'advanced' features

Anyway, to mark this topic (SOLVED), edit the FIRST posting in this topic and change:-

Subject: Why Screen Space is less in LXDE than Peppermint? How to improve it? (SOLVED)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:39:11 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:15 am »
Hi,
First let me repeat, i am not a linux person.

If i see i can place 9 icons one below other than 6 icons one below other, then i tend to think i lost screen space or resolution or some kind of Graphic Ability.
My interpretations will be very lay man, what i see in screen i believe. I do not know technical of linux.
Having said that i will give you a comparison.
If i have a Samsung Monitor capable of displaying HD movies, then i go buy a Movie DVD from Sony. I play it, it works fine in my Desktop.
I put my DVD into my Laptop, this can also play HD movies, so is it not reasonable to expect same kind of graphic scale when the movie plays in a Desktop and Laptop considering both Laptop and Desktop have same inch monitors and resolution. Sony HD movie experience should not change between devices capable of playing HD movies.

My Original Question is How come these are different, if they are using same GTK, same OS, same Graphic Drivers,same Monitors, same screen resolutions yet they behave differently in terms of Screen Geometry. That is why i was confused.

I am again telling you my interpretations will be very layman. Sorry for repeatedly saying this.
I feel Linux is about both Choice and Standards.

Thanks,
Harish Pathangay