Choose style:

Author Topic: when is peppermint 7 going to come?  (Read 4456 times)

harishpathangay

when is peppermint 7 going to come?
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:30:17 am »
when is peppermint 7 going to come?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: when is peppermint 7 going to come?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:51:50 am »
Psst, I'll let you in on a secret.  It'll be ready when it's ready.   Don't tell anyone one else though  :D!!  Seriously, the new distro is launched annually.  This is usually between May and June.  There's no set date though, so the first sentence in this post is actually true.  Does that answer your question  ;D
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:41:36 am »
Here in the next couple weeks or so, Ubuntu will be releasing their 16.04 LTS release.  Peppermint is based on the source code for the Ubuntu LTS releases, so once the final release is out, work on the final version of Peppermint Seven can be completed and then it can be tested.  As Andy said, the final release is usually ready in late May, early June.

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:20:41 am »
As a member of Team Peppermint I can let you in on our official stance on release dates: "When it's ready."

We try to aim for sometime between May and June, but ultimately, if we have to delay the release until Christmas, we will. Conversely, if it's ready before May, there's no reason to not release before May :)
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:21 am »
It would make a nice Christmas present. (It even has the whole festive red and white thing going for it) However, I think some people would have conniptions.  ;)

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »
It would make a nice Christmas present. (It even has the whole festive red and white thing going for it) However, I think some people would have conniptions.  ;)

Those people could have conniptions all they want, but Team Peppermint does not sacrifice quality for deadlines. We're not perfect, but we're definitely not going to knowingly release a mess. I would assume those same people would be even more upset if we broke something simply to make a deadline ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:11:26 am »
Those people could have conniptions all they want, but Team Peppermint does not sacrifice quality for deadlines.

And, that's why I love you guys.  That's why I've been here for nearly six years now.  8)

Personally, I hate that "release it now, fix it afterward" approach that some Linux distros seem fond of.  I won't mention any names.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
FEDORA

(OK, I fibbed, I'm so mentioning names)
[close]

I prefer that you guys get it right and we have a smooth transition from 6 to 7.  I mean, what's the worse that can happen with this strategy?  We have to wait a bit longer for 7 and are forced to endure the sheer awesomeness of Peppermint 6 a bit longer?  I can totally live with that.  ;D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:05:21 am »
Hi scifidude79,

I found another name that you didn't mention, but I'll keep it secret.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Manjaro
[close]

Oops, I think I hit the wrong button  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:14:11 am »
To be fair, I don't think anybody willingly releases broken things. The projects that you guys have mentioned so far are actually much larger in scope than Peppermint and are worked on by much larger teams, which means that internal politics and processes are amplified quite a bit, contributing to delays and missed items. The Manjaro crew is still pretty young (so far as project age) and they can only get better. Fedora (big kudos to those guys) has been around a long time and has quite the organization behind them. Despite any issues they may have, they manage to churn out a lot of high quality stuff, which is much harder to do than most people think.

Credit where it's due ladies and gentlemen :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:05 am »
Hi darthlukan,

I agree with you completely that nobody "willingly releases broken things" -- therefore I did not say that anyone does that. However, you have actually indicated the reasons that have resulted in scifidude79 and myself coming down hard on some distros (and at least partially why we prefer Peppermint OS).

• Manjaro: seems to have grown too fast and perhaps they have "bitten off more than they can chew."
  • Fedora: a perfect example of being simply too big and too political.
Delays are not a problem if they mean that the product quality is better in the end.

My experience in big commercial software development has shown me that many software "factories" do not make it clear enough to the customer that producing a product that is really good and error-minimized is safer and more economical than "meeting the deadline" (which has probably been set by managers on the customer side who have no real experience with software production).

Of course, this does not necessarily apply to Manjaro. Their problem seems to be more of a mind-set problem. I personally think that they should put more emphasis on testing and compatibility (see the grub situation being discussed at this moment on our forum) -- i.e. the directors of the project should follow better the maxim "look (more) before you leap."

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:37:59 am »
@Slim:  It's not that I forgot Manjaro, it's just that I only tried it once.  That didn't go so well.  However, Manjaro is a different animal altogether anyway because it's rolling.  Rolling releases can often break, or at least part of them can, due to package issues.  It's not necessarily the fault of the OS makers.  It's just the nature of rolling releases, and why I personally prefer more stable non rolling releases, even if I have to install a new version every once in a while.

To be fair, I don't think anybody willingly releases broken things. The projects that you guys have mentioned so far are actually much larger in scope than Peppermint and are worked on by much larger teams, which means that internal politics and processes are amplified quite a bit, contributing to delays and missed items. The Manjaro crew is still pretty young (so far as project age) and they can only get better. Fedora (big kudos to those guys) has been around a long time and has quite the organization behind them. Despite any issues they may have, they manage to churn out a lot of high quality stuff, which is much harder to do than most people think.

Credit where it's due ladies and gentlemen :)

True.  However, the fact that you can install Fedora right after release and then have to install 500+ updates is somewhat unsettling to me.  Just saying.  At least, that's how it was last time I tried Fedora.  (Fedora 15, I think)  It's all because they slave themselves to a tight release schedule.  It's more of a "ready or not, here it is" thing than a "hey, it's broken, but here it is" thing.  Their intentions are certainly good.  They like giving their users a firm date as to when they're getting it, but that more often than not comes back to bite them in the butt.  Fedora is certainly a good project and, once all of the issues are fixed, it's a very stable distro.  In fact, all of this talk makes me want to try them again.  I may install their next version when it's released, just to check things out.  8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:42:08 am by scifidude79 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 11:17:37 am »
@Slim:  It's not that I forgot Manjaro, it's just that I only tried it once.  That didn't go so well.  However, Manjaro is a different animal altogether anyway because it's rolling.  Rolling releases can often break, or at least part of them can, due to package issues.  It's not necessarily the fault of the OS makers.  It's just the nature of rolling releases, and why I personally prefer more stable non rolling releases, even if I have to install a new version every once in a while.

Hi scifidude79,

Manjaro -- being based on Arch -- is much more prone to breaking than Arch  :-\ I know because during the last 12 months I had both installed (Arch actually for the last several years, in fact). My Arch installation has not broken once in all this time, but Manjaro failed so often that I quit counting and deleted it. I only installed it to see if it was as good as some folks claim, but it certainly disappointed me. Maybe I just have no luck with Manjaro, but Arch has been rock solid for me.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 11:39:18 am »
... However, you have actually indicated the reasons that have resulted in scifidude79 and myself coming down hard on some distros (and at least partially why we prefer Peppermint OS). ...

I'm sneaky that way :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 11:52:58 am »
I never got Arch working either.  After following their beginners' guide to installation to the letter, I was greeted by a Grub Rescue screen.  So, I put Peppermint 6 back on that computer.  The only Arch based distro I've ever used and enjoyed was Apricity.  However, I still ran into issues with some of the software in the Arch 64 bit repos.  So, I tend to steer clear of Arch and things based on it.  I prefer stability over cutting edge.  Hence, being here.  :D

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 12:16:30 pm »
and once again we come back to the beauty of Linux...  Choice.  I personally have never had a problem with Manjaro xfce once installed.  We will see how this current install goes, if I get the time to use it long term. 3 months previously was the longest before the hopping lust returned.

With the Architect installer, I was able to enjoy "Arch" in an even purer form but still not a total Arch system as I did not follow the wiki.  My attitude is, why bother when someone has already taken away the heart ache for you.

and that is why I stick with Peppermint 6 64 bit on my laptop.  It was the only distro I tried that simply installed and worked alongside Wind 10 on UEFI without hassle...  and why... cos the Peppermint Team is so damned good thats why.

So i may not get to look at Manjaro as often as I like because Peppermint just works... and I am really getting excited over what P7 will bring.  Sure I will have a hop now and again... its why I have the 3rd partition (to play with)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080