Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.  (Read 13051 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Re: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2016, 10:52:41 pm »
Normally if VLC won't play it .. it's unplayable ;)

i was eventually able tonight to get VLC to play this cd, but it really doesn't like recognizing my cd/dvd player oh well...

playing with nightingale tonight;

http://getnightingale.com/

a linux spin of Songbird which was a Mozilla project... nice in that it has some of the smart playlist features that iTunes has... so i can quickly create lists by genre
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline LinuxNoob

• nOOb
  • LinuxNoob
    • View Profile
    • LinuxNoob YouTube Channel
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 10:00:55 am »
I've been using Peppermint 6 as my primary Linux distribution for quite some time now and I've absolutely loved it so far. Since Ubuntu 16.04 release is not that far away, I was thinking of what the peppermint team is up to regarding Peppermint 7. Here are some things I felt would be a great addition to the OS. Maybe you guys can take a look and include some of these in the next version if you think that's a good idea. :-)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 10:58:16 am »
As you'd expect I can't currently talk about what's "new" for the next Peppermint release .. but we've definitely taken onboard your suggestion for calling it "Peppermint 7" and we're going to run with it :)

LXDE - Whilst you're right, LXDE (gtk version) is not going to be actively developed by the LXDE/Qt team it doesn't *necessarily* mean we we'd have to break away from it entirely. For some time now (indeed since before LXDE announced they were going down the Qt route) Peppermint has slowly been shedding LXDE components, the few that remain could theoretically be forked if we deemed it necessary.

Please do not interpret that as what we intend to do .. I'm just pointing out that there are options available to us that don't entail us becoming "just another LXDE/Xfce/MATE/<insert DE> distro" ;)

In truth I think with Peppermint 5 and 6 we'd already reached a point where it was probably a little inaccurate to call us an LXDE distro .. "Hybrid" has always been used to describe Peppermint (Cloud Hybrid, Hybrid Desktop), and we're proud of that, it shows we're not just following someone else's lead :)

All I can say is that at least for the foreseeable future Peppermint will continue to evolve, drawing on what we see as the best components from other DE's (whatever they may be) and incorporating them into our own unique vision of a whole .. Call it the Peppermint DE if you wish (though we don't) :)

Nicely done video BTW :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:09:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »
Terrific video, LinuxNoob. :) 

Everybody has their opinions about these things, but I actually like our LXDE menu better than MATE's menu, and Xfce's menu better than all of them.  That said, when a very savvy Peppermint user showed me how to turn Peppermint into a pure Xfce distribution, the pure Xfce version of Peppermint did seem to slow down just a smidgen for me when compared to our standard LXDE Peppermint distribution.  I'll hate to see all of LXDE go the way of the dinosaur, even though that looks like where it is eventually headed.

You made lots of good points in your video, LinuxNoob.  Your video was very informative, and did zero in on several important issues that I'm sure Team Peppermint will look at, consider, or address, in the relatively near future.  ;)

Thank you,

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum