Choose style:

Author Topic: 7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016 (in March)  (Read 4477 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: 7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016 (in March)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
I still like Linux Mint.  It's a top notch distro.  A few weeks ago, I installed LMDE2 Betsy Cinnamon as part of my multi-boot system.  It's basically the same as the main version of Mint, except it's based on Debian 8 Jessie instead of Ubuntu.  As with anything Debian, it needed the final spit and polish added.  That's all done and it's looking gorgeous and performing beautifully.  I'm going to use it to demonstrating to people the diversity of Linux distros.  Peppermint is and will stay for the foreseeable future, my primary distro of choice.  It's just has that, snap that's missing from Linux Mint.  The Linux Mint Forums are shocking.  There no doubt about that; nothing happens quickly.  When they do answer, they're very pleasant though and the advice is usually very good.  Yeah, Linux Mint is very good. It's certainly much better than the majority of the distros that made the top 7 list  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 12:49:01 pm »
The heck with older machines.  My desktop isn't exactly brand new, but it has an 8-core processor, 8 GB RAM and I just installed an Nvidia GTX 950 graphics card the other day.  There probably isn't a (well built) OS it can't run smoothly.  Peppermint is still #1 in my book.  Why?  Because it is the best, in my opinion, and I've tried a lot of Linux distros and even ventured over to the BSD and Solaris sides of the street.  For something to be the best, it just has to be liked above all else.  Performance helps, but it's only a single factor.

Now, my laptop is a bit more limited, but I still prefer Peppermint over other lightweight options.

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 02:31:39 pm »
If we only get dinged on a subjective point such as aesthetics, then we're doing pretty damn good IMO :)

If we really cared about pleasing more people aesthetically we could do like other distros: Numix everything and call it a day.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:34 pm »
I'm getting a serious case of deja vu here .. I'm SURE I've seen this exact article before somewhere (a few months ago ?), but I can't find it online.  :-\

Is it possible they've changed the title/date ? .. or have I become some kind of seer  ???

Do you think you might be thinking of this article, PCNetSpec, from our own forum?  :-\

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2257.0.html
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
No perknh, it wasn't the title that gave me deja vu, in fact the title didn't register at all at the time .. it was the exact content .. hell I could have told you what was going to come next, layout/pics/text/pros/cons and all .. right down to the 'off English' and the exact phrase "Not So Beautiful" :-\

I can only assume I've read it recently, but for some reason my mind has convinced itself I saw it a quite some time ago .. which is somewhat disconcerting ???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:29:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:59 pm »
It's got to be a rewrite, PCNetSpec.  I read an article recently from the Rolling Stone where I learned that articles on Web now get rewritten and changed several times over during the course of their lifespans.  I bet a dollar to a donut you did see that article before, but in some way that article has now been modified and rewritten.

That's my best guess as to what you are experiencing here. ;)

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »
Peppermint Os is a great distro. Thanks to developers.
I'm new linux user and I just installed Peppermint on my netbook. Works like a charm.
Few software pre installed, good updates and good forum for questions and support. Linux Mint is a great distro but a little different with software updates and other things.
For a newbie like me Peppermint Os is a great choise.
Have a nice day.