Choose style:

Author Topic: 7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016 (in March)  (Read 4527 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016 (in March)
« on: March 21, 2016, 04:17:03 am »
Hi everyone, how's the spring in the northern hemisphere and the autumn in the southern hemisphere treating you so far  ;)Peppermint Six has made it to the list of the 7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016.  Brought to you by How to Use Linux.  It's only the backend of March.  How this feat of tachyon engineering was managed, is another question but here we are  :-\Peppermint Six managed to reach 5th place in their list.  Well done Team Peppermint.  From the judging of the other contenders, Peppermint's only fault is, it doesn't look like a Mac.  I think we can all live with our crippling disfigurement  ;D.  Anyway enough said, here's the list: http://howtouselinux.net/best-linux-distro-for-laptop/ .
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: 7 BEST LINUX DISTRO FOR LAPTOP IN 2016 (in March)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:49 am »
Hi AndyInMokum,

My opinion is that not looking like a MacOS is one of the positive aspects of Peppermint Six !!  8)

To be honest, when rating a distro I do not think it is appropriate to include the appearance/resemblance of the desktop to be in any meaningful way (except perhaps for complete new-comers to Linux) an important Pro/Con criterium.  :-\

Much more relevant is how flexible and easy it is to change the desktop appearance -- and this is a very positive aspect of Peppermint Six (and LXLE as well; As for the others, some are rather rigidly set to a particular desktop configuration and can be a real PIA to change).

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:13:22 am »
Hi AndyInMokum,

My opinion is that not looking like a MacOS is one of the positive aspects of Peppermint Six !!  8)

To be honest, when rating a distro I do not think it is appropriate to include the appearance/resemblance of the desktop to be in any meaningful way (except perhaps for complete new-comers to Linux) an important Pro/Con criterium.  :-\

Much more relevant is how flexible and easy it is to change the desktop appearance -- and this is a very positive aspect of Peppermint Six (and LXLE as well; As for the others, some are rather rigidly set to a particular desktop configuration and can be a real PIA to change).

Regards,

-- Slim
I totally agree with you, it's a daft way to assess a distro.  I guess you noticed the hint of sarcasm it generated in my post  ;D.

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:09:07 am »
...hello friends...i noted that many so-called experts give a criterion purely personal notes...BEAUTY...is a mater of taste...remove the ''aestetics'' of the text, read again and find the truth...PEPPERMINT OS IS THE BEST LINUX DISTRO...!!!... :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:59:29 am »
I'm getting a serious case of deja vu here .. I'm SURE I've seen this exact article before somewhere (a few months ago ?), but I can't find it online.  :-\

Is it possible they've changed the title/date ? .. or have I become some kind of seer  ???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:38:15 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 06:59:34 am »
...hello friends...i noted that many so-called experts give a criterion purely personal notes...BEAUTY...is a mater of taste...remove the ''aestetics'' of the text, read again and find the truth...PEPPERMINT OS IS THE BEST LINUX DISTRO...!!!... :D
A perfect assessment  ;).

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 07:40:06 am »
There are a few things bothering me.

First of all I get the impression that the author never installed these distros. If you do a review, there's always something catching your eye, positive or negative. Reviewing one distro takes a lot of time, let alone seven. You will run in all sorts of tiny details which, tiny as they may seem, can have a major impact on the final conclusion.

Secondly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Bad taste is also a taste.

Last but not least: poorly written in poor English. And I'm not even an native speaker! "Chromixium has come with built-in Chromium web browser and much other useful application for ease of use." for example, reads like an poorly written ad in desperate need of professional proof reading.

For now I'm having a really hard time taking this too seriously.

Hans
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:07:21 am »
I don't know who that person is that claimed those 7 to be the top 7 distros... 
out of the 7 only 2 of them belong in the top 7... 
those two are LXLE and Peppermint...
in fact there are only 4 linux distros worth installing...
number one linux mint...
number two peppermint, and only if you have an older machine that can't run mint...
number 3 i would say lxle only because they still have a non pae version...
and 4 i would choose antix and only if your machine is super old with 256 megs or less ram...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:28:27 am »
Quote from: rjm65
number two peppermint, and only if you have an older machine that can't run mint...

I'd have to disagree with that .. I have a quite powerful laptop easily capable of running Mint but I'd still choose Peppermint for a number of reasons

a) It's lighter .. even on a powerful system why unnecessarily waste system resources.

b) it doesn't come with a ton of preloaded stuff I don't want, so need to remove.

c) Ice

d) It doesn't suffer Mints weird update policy that blocks certain updates, throwing it out of sync with the Ubuntu repos it relies on

e) it doesn't do weird things (probably necessary because of "e") such as pinning the version of LibreOffice (in 17.2) making it difficult to upgrade via PPA

f) again because of Mint update policy a lot of online tutorials won't apply fully to Mint or need more modification than they would for Peppermint .. also things like drivers that need to be compiled against (or are expecting) a specific kernel version (which usually track the Ubuntu kernels) *may* not work because Mint may be holding back kernel updates.
(rare, but I've seen it happen where source code, particularly drivers, will compile against Ubuntus currentkernel but not Mints)

g) adding third party repos in Mint is sometimes difficult because of their naming convention .. Peppermint always specifying the Ubuntu naming convention such as "precise" or "trusty" to third party repos

h) it has a better forum ;)

i) it's not Grey/Green :))

So personally I'd choose Peppermint over Mint pretty much every time .. don't get me wrong, Mint is a great distro that has recently also been "creating" great software (hence why we utilise some of it) .. but to suggest Peppermint is "only" the right choice if you can't run Mint  ??? :-\ :o ::) :-X
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:55:48 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:48 am »
I take issue with this article.  Who says that Peppermint 6 isn't beautiful? 

Peppermint 6 isn't only beautiful; it's downright gorgeous.  The dark and beautiful Peppermint Six (Special Rhianna Edition) looks splendiferous on any laptop lucky enough to be sitting in a Lamborghini.  ;)

The other distributions on this list can eat their hearts out as far as I'm concerned.  :P
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 09:51:59 am »
Cons: Not so beautiful.  :))

Well, I guess you can consider it a huge compliment that that's all they could come up with for Peppermint cons.  The cons on the others in that article deal with actual functional issues, or not being good for beginners.  At least Peppermint's "con" is just a surface issue that's easily dealt with by doing some customization.  ;)

@perknh:  I'm with you on the beauty thing.  Heck, I use the default themes.  *shrugs*  Remember, it's an opinion piece.  It's not like that person's point of view is the only one.  I can think of a couple Linux operating systems I'd much rather run on my laptop than some of the ones on that list.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:55:17 am by scifidude79 »

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:09:42 am »
...back...if there were only two people on Earth would have a knife and both would agree that it is a useful tool...but at the same time would not agree on ''beautiful''...one would say it would be nice a handle of ivory while the other would say it be nice a handle teak...who is right...?...from my point of view may have a knife in plastic handle...i will alwais support and show that Peppermint OS is the best Swiss Knife...stop here...i think i posted too much... :D

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:14:02 am »
number one linux mint...

I'd also disagree with this. OK, I don't run "state-of-the-art" PCs but if Mint is going to freeze and lose chunks of my work, it's academic to me if there's something wrong in the OS or my hardware is ancient. Peppermint never does that.

Mint was a nice intro to Linux when coming from a Windows experience, however.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:20 am »
number one linux mint...

I'd also disagree with this. OK, I don't run "state-of-the-art" PCs but if Mint is going to freeze and lose chunks of my work, it's academic to me if there's something wrong in the OS or my hardware is ancient. Peppermint never does that.

Mint was a nice intro to Linux when coming from a Windows experience, however.
mint never froze on me ever, or lost any data, I love mint, always have and always will... I came to peppermint for my old machine that would not run mint, and they do have the better forum i must admit that...
I got 38 views and no replies on that last mint question i put on their board 20 days ago...  these guys at peppermint solved it in under an hour, I am still waiting for a reply at mint but i doubt i will ever see one...
Unlike my friend Mark I would rather have everything installed so there is nothing to do except install it for people, then do some tweaks here and there, but to each his own, everyone has preferences...  but I will say again that list of 7 is terrible....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 11:26:52 am »
Yep, nothing wrong with preferring Mint, it's a great distro and a project we greatly admire .. the only thing I disagreed with was that your comment suggested Peppermint was best "only if you have an older machine that can't run mint" .. that's purely an opinion as everyone has differing preferences and requirements, it wasn't too different from the article authors "Not so beautiful" in that respect. Amongst other things I can think of a million scenarios where Peppermints "lightness" would be beneficial besides "older hardware" for example how about a server but with a DE, or maybe a media center, or where you simply don't want/need half the stuff that comes with Mint, or....

As for the authors take on "beauty", personally I've always admired "elegance" over "looks" .. and Peppermint from its inception (way before my arrival) has always had some elegant solutions to real world problems and shortcomings, as well as an elegant solution to the lightness/functionality balance.

Beauty (meaning "looks") can be added later via easy customisation options, not to mention it's always highly personal so we could never please everyone anyway .. elegance is somewhat harder to come by :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:45:42 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec