Author Topic: Chinese Characters Don't Display (Solved)  (Read 1812 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Chinese Characters Don't Display (Solved)
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:11 am »
This isn't really a big issue as I only speak and read English, but more of an oddity.  I've noticed this plenty of times over the years, I just figured I'd pick the brains of some of our smart gurus here on this one.

I've noticed on pages with Chinese (and Japanese, Korean, etc.) characters that they won't display properly, they display as little rectangles.  Here's an example. In this screenshot taken from my Android tablet, you can see on this game page on Steam Greenlight that it has both English writing and Chinese characters because the devs are Chinese:

Anyway, here's the same page in Steam on Peppermint 6:

(it doesn't look any better in Firefox)

I'm assuming this is caused by the fact that I have US chosen as my language and US English as my region, etc.  However, is there a way to get the characters to display properly even with it set that way?  For example, if I download and install Chinese language support, will the characters display or will it still look stupid because of my language and region settings?  As I said, it's not a huge deal, just an oddity.  You can't say it's a Linux issue, because Android is Linux too and it works fine on there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:10:22 am by scifidude79 »

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: Chinese Characters Don't Display
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:57:20 am »
This should get you started:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install fonts-wqy-zenheiProbably you have to update the fonts cache too.

Code: [Select]
sudo fc-cache -fvHans
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:43 am »
It's still showing little rectangles, even after installing that and updating the font cache.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:10:01 am »
Hm, figured it out on my own.  I added Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) under Language Support in the Preferences menu and all is well now.  I guess that was already installed in Android, even though I have US English selected as my language.

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:40 am »
Hm, figured it out on my own.  I added Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) under Language Support in the Preferences menu and all is well now.  I guess that was already installed in Android, even though I have US English selected as my language.

I should have thought of that in the 1st place. Well, solved, that's all that counts!
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Characters Don't Display (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:40 am »
The funny part is, I still can't read it.  However, seeing the Chinese characters gives me an odd peace of mind.  :))  Plus, say I wanted to use Google Translate on a page with Chinese, I'm not sure it would work with the rectangles.  In theory it should, since it was typed correctly in Chinese and the encoding is there, but you never know.  I may need to experiment with that later.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Chinese Characters Don't Display (Solved)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:52 pm »
I do like self solving topics :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec