Author Topic: Still missing panel icons in P6  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 & 10 Respin
Still missing panel icons in P6
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »
I upgraded from P5 to P6 recently, currently I'm running Xfce on an older Acer Aspire One netbook.  I've been running into a couple of minor issues, this being one of them.

I have no network connections icon on the panel and don't see one that can be added from the list.  Some other applets are showing and work fine but others are MIA.

I can't seem to get my Dropbox Icon to show on the panel or desktop at all.  Without it I'm only guessing when a file has finished uploading.  In fact, I can't figure out if Dropbox is even running at all.  I am using the Peppermint Dropbox.  Picking it from the menu doesn't do anything that I can see.

I've spent a few hours searching for a solution but nothing seems to help.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Still missing panel icons in P6
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:11:28 pm »
Yeah, this is the type of stuff that happens when you install a desktop other than what came with the OS.  The stuff that's preconfigured in other distributions isn't configured yet.  We're not exactly XFCE gurus here, but we may be able to help.  What's there and what's missing?  (feel free to post a screenshot)

Just guessing by looking at what's available in Synaptic, I see something called xfce4-indicator-plugin.  That may be the system tray like thing that the XFCE panel uses.  Did you install that?  It's not included in the xfce4 meta package.  (I checked)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:47:19 am »
So what exactly are we saying here .. you're running the Xfce DE on Peppermint ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »
So what exactly are we saying here .. you're running the Xfce DE on Peppermint ?

That's what I was thinking, though I can't imagine why.  Personally, if I wanted to run XFCE, I'd go with Xubuntu or Mint XFCE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:07:33 pm »
Nothing against it .. just trying to figure out if he's having problems with the xfce4-panel or the lxpanel .. and if they're somehow conflicting.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »
Hi Mathew, how's it going?  Right click on the Xfce panel.  From the popup/dropdown menu, select: Panel > Panel Preferences.  In the new window, select the: Items tab.  Scroll down to: Notifications Area (external).  Double left click on it.  In the new window, check the, Network Manager Applet is unchecked/not ticked in the Hidden column.  Hopefully, that's all it takes to make the icon appear ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »
For dropbox, what happens if you open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run:
Code: [Select]
dropbox

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec