Choose style:

Author Topic: When will support end for Peppermint Three? What are my options?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline CometCKO

• nOOb
  • Linux is not my native language
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Three, Six, (eight?)
When will support end for Peppermint Three? What are my options?
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:01:14 pm »
I've been happily running Peppermint Three on my antique (11 years old!) IBM Thinkpad X40 laptop.  This computer has traveled around the world with me several times and has taken a beating, but Peppermint has been solid throughout.  When I installed Peppermint three years ago, I was happy that the base was Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  What seemed like Long Term Support then does not look so long-term today!

My guess is that I'll continue to run without support for years to come on this machine, until it finally dies or becomes too weak to function. 

But what are my risks of running without support, once LTS ends?  It hardly seems worthwhile to upgrade to another version, but what has been the experience of people running 14.04-based Peppermint on weak old 32-bit hardware like mine?

Thx!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: When will support end for Peppermint Three? What are my options?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:50:05 pm »
Upstream security patches will end for Ubuntu 12.04 (which Peppermint 3 is based on) in April 2017

14.04/Peppermint 5 or 6 should be fine on the X40, though as it uses a Pentium M processor it might require the "forcepae" kernel boot parameter to be used during the initial installation.

That said, Peppermint 5 and 6 are slightly heavier than Peppermint 3 .. so Ideally you'd have maxxed out the RAM (1.25 - 1.5GB dependent on model)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:43:57 am »
Hi CometCKO,

Ditto to what PCNetSpec has written. Do not despair -- installing the newer Peppermint Six is not rocket science -- and we are here to help you as well !!  :)

As far as your RAM situation and the slightly higher resource usage with Peppermint Six goes, my solution with older machines with limited RAM has been to install Peppermint Six and then (rather than using the standard window manager) I install a light-weight window manager (wm) such as Fluxbox. In our forum section User Submitted Tutorials you will find my tutorial about installing and configuring it (together with download-able sample configuration files to which I have added many explanatory comments to help you understand what is possible in your configuration of the Fluxbox wm). It really is quick and does not use nearly as much RAM as most other wm's. Another very light-weight and fast option is JWM (Joe's Window Manager). Both of these wm's are in the repositories.

If you wish to go with any of these options together with Peppermint Six you will again be able to get assistance here in our forum. So don't despair.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:46:18 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline CometCKO

• nOOb
  • Linux is not my native language
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Three, Six, (eight?)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:07:26 pm »
I'll give Peppermint 6 a tryout and see what happens.  Thanks for the vote of confidence. 

This machine sees little exposure to the net, so I  may just stick with Peppermint 3 and live with whatever small risk and loss of features I'd be missing.  It's been totally stable and really quite snappy on my old x40.  I'd hate to lose that.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:42:13 am »
Hi CometCKO, support for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ends in April 2017.  This date also applies to Peppermint ThreePeppermint Six should go onto that old iron of yours without an issue.  The forcepae trick for the Pentium M processors works like a charm  ;).  This'll see you through to April 2019.   An alternative to that, is to wait and try Peppermint Seven 32-bit.  That'll be good until April 2021.  I suspect Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will be the last LTS release with 32-bit support.  So bear that in mind.  Peppermint Seven will be based on this release.  If at all possible, max out your RAM.  If you upgrade, you should be good until April 2019 at the minimum.  As Slim has already said, help is here if you need it  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:55:52 am »
What about people who run peppermint 3, who can not run 5 or 6, will there be a NON PAE  version of peppermint made for us?    :(
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:14 am »
I'm afraid not, we simply don't currently have the manpower to provide a non-standard kernel and keep up with security patching :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec