Author Topic: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 [SOLVED]  (Read 2706 times)

Offline bingfoot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 [SOLVED]
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »
Hello

Just installed Peppermint 6 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.  Love the OS.  I may ditch my Windows laptop if I can only get my WiFi card to work.  Can someone recommend where I can download drivers for:

Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44

..as well as instructions as to how to deploy/enable them?  Thank you so much.

Bingfoot
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:30:12 am by bingfoot »

Offline bingfoot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:11:21 pm »
By the way, have followed all the steps outlined here

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2879.msg28486.html#msg28486

...and I'm now connected to the network.  Excellent post above.  Glad to have WiFi working.

If only I can get my Brother HL2280DW networked connected printer working :)

Bingfoot

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:12:27 pm »
Hi bingfoot, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's good to have you join us  ;).  You're having some WiFi issues?  Let first make sure your are all updated and synced.  Have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so.  As this often fixes issues such as WiFi not functioning.

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.   Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  With your ethernet cable connected, enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

Code: [Select]
apt update && apt upgradeHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the instructions presented in the terminal window.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgradeHit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the instructions presented in the terminal window.

After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because it's highly likely there will be kernel upgrades.  Unplug your ethernet cable. 

Has your Wifi kicked in?  If it hasn't, please reattach your ethernet cable and open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window and hit enter:
inxi -FThis command will generate details about your machine.  Post the output back to the forum.  Please remember to encapsulate terminal outputs with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  It preserves the original format of the output.  This makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:33 pm »
By the way, have followed all the steps outlined here

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2879.msg28486.html#msg28486

...and I'm now connected to the network.  Excellent post above.  Glad to have WiFi working.

If only I can get my Brother HL2280DW networked connected printer working :)

Bingfoot

That's fantastic, I'm very happy it worked for you  ;).  Could you remember to mark the topic as, [SOLVED] in the subject line of your original post - many thanks  :).  As for your printer issue, could you please start a fresh topic?  It saves things getting confused for future visitors when they're using the search function - many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline bingfoot

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 05:26:52 am »
Even though my question was answered/solved, I'd like to ask the following so as to help others should they stumble upon what I encountered.

Even after I executed the following command:

inxi -F

...which resulted with the following

Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b43
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1c:23:a4:a5:e7
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A

...how did you know that the following had to be executed?

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Specifically, how did  you know that I had to install

firmware-b43-installer

Was there something above in my output from inxi -F that led to firmware-b43-installer?  Better yet, is there a list of all "firmware" options I could have reviewed and selected via trial and error?  I'm just trying to understand the process should I install Peppermint on other older laptops and want to get WiFi working.  Quite a few friends here are impressed with Peppermint and I wanted to help others should they face the same WiFi issues. 

Thanks everyone.  Great job on Peppermint 6.  Happy to help in testing/beta if necessary.  Just let me know. 

Bingfoot

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:31:23 am »
As I see it there's 3 problems with this topic

a) (as in the topic  title) Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 is NOT the wireless card .. in fact it's the ethernet adapter/driver

b) You never (originally) posted your inxi -F output .. only in the last question.

c) Nobody told you to install firmware-b43-installer .. you did that on your own (and from what I see, you just got lucky)  :-\
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:34:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec