Choose style:

Author Topic: AMD Graphics Suck  (Read 1973 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
AMD Graphics Suck
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:30:20 pm »
Pro tip:  Don't use AMD (formerly, ATI) graphics.  Use Intel (open source drivers) or Nvidia (great proprietary drivers) but don't use AMD (horrid proprietary drivers.)

So, I booted up my craptop today.  Unfortunately, it's a 3+ year old budget job, so it's not doing anything well or fast.  Though, with Peppermint, it's at least tolerable, as opposed to Windows 7 64-bit, which came with it.  It has this wonderful AMD APU in it, with a built in HD6290 graphics adapter.  Anyway, it's been a while since I ran this thing, so the first thing I did (naturally) was open a terminal and run a dist upgrade.  Included in that was an update for the AMD proprietary graphics driver, fglrx.  No problem, the version it wanted to update to is the latest for my specific adapter, according to the AMD website.  So, I ran the updates and rebooted, only to find my screen locked in 1024 x 768, its normal resolution is 1366 x 768.  I tried running the AMD Catalyst Control Panel, only to find out, no surprise, it acted like I didn't even have a driver installed.  I tried running aticonfig, only to get the same results.  I reinstalled the driver manually, rebooted, same issue.  So, I finally had to switch back to the open source driver, make sure everything from fglrx was removed (it tried leaving the core package behind, making the system think I had a driver manually installed  ::) )  and reboot.  Finally, after at least a half an hour of frustration, my screen is back to its normal resolution and I'm running the open source driver.

The OS driver is OK, better than Nvidia's at least.  However, it's not all that great either.  But, I'm leery of trying the proprietary driver again due to what happened earlier.  If this was Nividia, I'd be set as their proprietary drivers are awesome.  However, these AMD drivers are junk, this is only one of the various issues I've had in the past 3+ years using this thing.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:32:17 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: AMD Graphics Suck
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
Well, after due consideration and taking into account that curiosity was killing me, I reinstalled fglrx using the Additional Drivers tool.  It's working fine now.  If I had to guess, I'd say the driver simply didn't like being updated via Apt.  Switching back to the open source driver, purging the old fglrx files and doing a complete reinstall seems to have fixed it, for now.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:59:14 pm »
I've never had any problems with ATI drivers .. right now I'm using the proprietary "Crimson" drivers directly from their website .. no issues installing or in use :)
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux
but I had no issues with fglrx/amdcccle from additional drivers either.

AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD 8610G Graphics

In fact these have been easier to install/configure than any nVidia drivers I've ever used.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:04:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
Well, you're not a gamer.  Gamers have more issues with AMD on Linux than they do with Nvidia on Linux.  Heck, Steam itself has an issue with fglrx.  If you install fglrx and then install Steam, it won't start up and update like it's supposed to.  You have to install Steam, then start it and let it update, then install fglrx.  After that, it works fine.  I have no idea why this is so, I just know that Valve is well aware of the issue and takes absolutely no steps (that I know of) to correct it.  Other issues can occur when playing some games on AMD graphics, more so than with Nvidia.  I guarantee you that AMD graphics are the most frequently complained about by Linux users on the Steam forums.  Well, except for those poor people trying to game in Linux on Intel graphics.  (though, they typically just get laughed at on the Steam forums)

I've never had any issue installing Nvidia drivers, I've been using Nvidia drivers on Linux since 2009.  I used to manually download the latest driver, kill the x server and install it, until Canonical decided to make that a chore and a half in 2010.  However, installing the Nvidia drivers from the Additional drivers tool has never been an issue for me.  Also, I've never had any issues updating Nvidia proprietary drivers using Apt, like I did with fglrx today.  Does that mean there are no issues?  Of course not.  Screen tearing is a big thing with Nvidia.  There's no easy tool to fix it, like there is with AMD.  The Catalyst Control Center includes an option to get rid of screen tearing.  With Nvidia, I have to edit a text file.  (though, I'm used to that anyway, running this OS)  Also, Wine is historically bad for not playing nice with Nvidia.  Though, that's a non issue for me.  If I want to run Windows software, I'll just run it in Windows 7.

Nvidia, in my opinion, makes superior Linux drivers.  I've not had a major issue with them in years.  I've certainly never had anything happen like what happened when I tried updating my AMD driver today.  (though, that was a first and I've had this laptop since 2012)  But, to each his own.  If you like AMD, more power to you.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:27:19 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »
Nope, steam also worked perfectly for me  .. can't remember which of the proprietary drivers I was using when I tested it, but it worked perfectly with the 2 or 3 games I tried it with  :-\

I dunno, maybe my use of the crimson drivers (instead of those from the default repos) protected me from any recent update .. but as I said, I've never ad any problems with those either, at least not in recent years .. a few years ago I'd have agreed with you but ATI drivers seem to have come a long way since then (giving me personally less trouble than nVidia ones).

At the end of the day I can only offer my own personal experiences which have been quite good in recent years .. you're right I'm not a big gamer, but I've not noticed any problems on either laptop .. maybe the drivers just like my particular APU's
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:05:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:16:55 am »
Yeah, experiences will also vary depending on the particular hardware.  They make so many chipsets, and then there are thousands of possible combinations when you add in motherboards and other hardware to the mix, then different kernels and operating systems.  Obviously, they can't test everything when they release drivers, so weird things can happen.  It could also have been a combination of the updates I was running.  I usually use my desktop, so I hadn't fired up the laptop in some time, so there were a lot of updates.  Maybe the AMD driver went FUBAR because of a combination of that plus some other update, like the kernel module that I know was on there.  *shrugs*

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:23:38 am »
Yeah, "s**t happens", as they say  :(

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 10:32:33 am »
True that.  Honestly, having cooled off some today and thinking of how long that laptop has worked and how I've never really had any other major issues with it, AMD graphics and their drivers don't really suck.  It's hard to say what caused my issue, I'm just glad I got it working again.

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 06:41:19 am »
I never had an issue with AMD. I did have some issues with NVIDIA though. I think it "just depends". If you're into BSD for example, NVIDIA can be a real PITA.

Hans
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 09:21:23 am »
Plus, as I said, Nvidia is a huge pill with Wine.  It's well documented on the Wine website.  Also, I can tell you from firsthand experience, things just don't work the way they should.  Most stuff running in Wine won't display in fullscreen on my desktop, I have to run it in a window or virtual desktop at the resolution it wants.  However, I've never had any issues with programs running in Wine on my laptop with Radeon graphics.  They run in fullscreen with no issues.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:23:29 am by scifidude79 »