Choose style:

Author Topic: Using GParted to make a simple partition table.  (Read 6688 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Using GParted to make a simple partition table.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 05:22:36 pm »
13GB does seem a bit excessive for a swap file .. but it really depends on the amount off RAM you have.

General rule of thumb is to have 2 - 2.5 times the installed RAM .. though it's not a hard and fast rule.

you DEFINITELY want at least as much as your installed RAM, as the RAM contents are written to the swap partition during hibernation.

Partitions -

On an msdos style partition table (not gpt) you can ONLY have 4 "Primary" partitions .. to overcome this limitation you can make one or more of them an "Extended" partition .. be aware, an "Extended" partition counts as a "Primary" partition.

An "Extended" partition is not an accessible partition in it's own right, more a container that can be sub-divided into "Logical" partitions.

An "Extended" partition can contain any number of "Logical" partitions.

So theoretically you could have 3 X Primary and 1 X Extended, with the Extended containing 100's of Logical partitions.

In Windows the partition containing the boot files MUST be a Primary partition .. GRUB however is quite happy to boot Logical partitions (so in Linux you could have ONLY Extended/Logical partitions if you chose to).

Windows has a limit to the amount of partitions .. basically 26 .. simply because it designates it's partitions using "Letters" (C:\, D:\, etc.) .. and you kinda run out at Z:\ :)

Linux (and other *nix OS's) "theoretically" have no limit .. that said, I read somewhere that there is a limit imposed by the kernel devs .. simply they only told the kernel to be aware of 63 but that was just an arbitrarily chosen number and would be trivial to change
For an IDE/SATA drive the Max is 63 (eg. 4 primary/extended and 59 logical)
This only applies to how many partitions a *booted* kernel can handle, it doesn't imply that *only* 63 partitions are possible, just that the kernel that is currently running would only be able to *see* 63 at any given time ("possibly" unless grouped together with LVM etc.)... nor does it imply you can *only* have 63 bootable partitions.

Again this doesn't apply to drives formatted with GUID Partition Table (GPT), only to drives formatted with an msdos style partition table.

NOTE - The info about the 63 partition limit in Linux is old, so may no longer apply to newer kernels .. but one things for sure, you can have MANY more in Linux and Linux is more flexible with what you put where ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:46:43 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »
Wow, this went from setting up a HDD to "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds" in a few short posts.  Isn't Linux marvellous!!  :P.

LoL!  Sorry, Andy.   >:(

I just installed Ubu Unicorn (yes, I'm a little behind the curve). 

Here's how I typically setup my partitions...

Take it for what it's worth. 

I generally run small drives (equally divided) and keep a stable backup OS, for emergencies.

Also, I run separate swap partitions.  I got used to doing that when I was multi-booting Linux and Open Solaris. 

For some reason, Ubu and Solaris didn't like to share the same swap partition... but I digress again   8)

My old Crunchbang 11/Peppermint OS Four dual boot looked much the same.  I also had two swap partitions, one for each.  Hibernating both OSs was as simple a clicking "hibernate".  I was messing around with ManjaroBox a couple of weeks ago, (that is one gorgeous distro.  Arch for the masses).  I installed it next to Peppermint OS.  Without even thinking, (the wife says I'm good at that) I set up a separate /, /home and swap.  It is just automatic.  If you have the disk space, I think it is a good thing to do.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:46:51 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
HI perknh, Yeah, I get the feeling most of us are looking forward to seeing Peppermint OS Five.  As long as its as good as Pep4, I'll be happy  :).   On a different note.  I was having a hunt around after mac reminded me about using mkfs to create  partition tables.  If you're interested,  I found this video on YouTube.

I think it gives a good broad explanation on  how to make partitions from the CLI.  It good to know, even if you prefer to use GParted.  Interesting stuff this Linux eh  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 08:04:48 pm »
Nice find, Andy.  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »
Thank you, AndyInMokum. 

This may end up being the best thread there is right now on the Internet for an introduction to partitioning within Linux that is in the English language.   I can tell you, this is best thread I've ever seen on the subject.  Now I'm hoping one day that you may write something, again with screen shots, on Synaptic Package Manager.  That's another tough zone for newbies, and one I'm only beginning to understand.

And to address PCNetSpec, yes, my computer does have 6 GBs of Ram -- that may be why I ended up with 13 GBs of swap, and extended partition.  But, that's just a guess.

Also, I agree with rjm65, we are all eagerly anticipating Peppermint 5.  This is the reason why we're restless.  The anticipation of Peppermint 5 is driving us all a little bit crazy.  This is exciting stuff.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:20:19 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum