Choose style:

Author Topic: how to install the mate desktop on peppermint 6  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Leon8200

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
how to install the mate desktop on peppermint 6
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:03:24 am »
HI all  I would  like to share this guide I made on installing the mate desktop on peppermint 6,
this guide will be  VERY EASY as long as you know how to

1 copy and paste into the terminal
2 log in and log out of peppermint 6

first before installing the ubuntu mate desktop please note that it consumes over 200 MB of RAM at boot

the mate core/mate-desktop-environment boots to about 95-100 mb of ram

step 1 add the ppa's.

copy and paste both codes into the terminal and press enter to add them to your system

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/ppa
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/trusty-mate

step 2 now run

sudo apt-get update

step 3 now apt-get your desired mate desktop.

for ubuntu mate you should have 500 mb of ram or more, unless you are using the midori browser that complements the heavy weight ubuntu mate desktop and consumes only 57 MB of RAM at launch, then I would say you should have 300 MB of RAM or more  :)

http://midori-browser.org/

mate core only uses 95-100 MB of RAM!!! but does not include the mate system monitor or the extra themes if you want/need those install the mate-desktop-environment

install one of the desktops

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop
sudo apt-get install mate-core
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
step 5now that you have installed your mate desktop, log out and click the settings icon at the top right of your screen and choose mate and login, all done :)

known issues/fixes

1 I cant find the connection icon thingy on the mate menu !?

it's called nm-applet short for network manager applet, if its missing from the mate menu open startup applications and add a new startup item name it nm-applet and type in nm-applet as the command, make sure it's checked and restart your pc, it should be there now :)

2 I cant remove/add desktop items like computer or home

you will need to install dconf editor

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

it will show up in mint menu/system tools/dconf editor

open it

click org then mate then caja, now click  desktop, see the check boxes on the right, you can enable and disable  desktop items by clicking on the boxes.

if you have any issues post them here or at the mate desktop forums, I will try to help out if I can, this thread is open to all
for support... chat... comments... anything, ENJOY!!! :D

mate desktop forums http://forums.mate-desktop.org/
mate installation wiki http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download         
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:15:13 pm by Leon8200 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: how to install the mate desktop on peppermint 6
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:10:37 am »
Thanks for the tutorial.  I'm sure some folks are going to enjoy having this as an option  ;).  I don't understand the necessity for the ppa  :-\.  The 14.04 Trusty Tahr MATE desktop is in the repos.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Leon8200

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:10:07 am »
Thanks for the tutorial.  I'm sure some folks are going to enjoy having this as an option  ;).  I don't understand the necessity for the ppa  :-\.  The 14.04 Trusty Tahr MATE desktop is in the repos.

I'm pretty sure I was unable to install the mate-core without the ppa :-\

actually I just realized that the mate-core does not install the mate system monitor or the extra themes,

I have edited my post  and added  mate-desktop-environment to the desktop list

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:44:59 am »
This is certainly a great tutorial for people who want to do this, but I don't understand why you wouldn't just run Ubuntu Mate or Mint.  :-\  I mean, Peppermint is basically Ubuntu with a different desktop and the Ice software, but I'm sure Ice could be installed on Ubuntu or Mint with minimal trouble.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »
I've alway been curious what a Xubuntu-style Peppermint DE would be like.  I'm sure it could be made into an excellent Xfce desktop environment too.

I think it's terrific that Leon8200 took the time show us how turn Peppermint into an Ubuntu MATE DE.  It's interesting that one can do these things within a Linux distribution.  This is just one of the countles ways that Linux puts Windows to shame.

MATE is on a roll these days, and I'm certain somebody will give this tutorial a whirl very, very, soon.  I don't see myself ever leaving Peppermint, so I like the idea of being able to try different DEs within the distribution of your choice.

Thank you, Leon8200.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Leon8200

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:57 pm »
This is certainly a great tutorial for people who want to do this, but I don't understand why you wouldn't just run Ubuntu Mate or Mint.  :-\  I mean, Peppermint is basically Ubuntu with a different desktop and the Ice software, but I'm sure Ice could be installed on Ubuntu or Mint with minimal trouble.

well there are a few reasons to use the ubuntu mate theme on pepermint 6 instead of just using ubuntu mate

1 ubuntu mate has poor hardware support compared to peppermint 6, "I know this from experience"

2 peppermint 6 comes with different software and packages

3 the peppermint user may really like ubuntu mate for it's appearance but does now want to use it just to enjoy its desktop environment

4 aside from ubuntu mate the user may want to choose mate-desktop-environment instead because it is much lighter and boot's to just 95-100 of of ram

I've alway been curious what a Xubuntu-style Peppermint DE would be like.  I'm sure it could be made into an excellent Xfce desktop environment too.

I think it's terrific that Leon8200 took the time show us how turn Peppermint into an Ubuntu MATE DE.  It's interesting that one can do these things within a Linux distribution.  This is just one of the countles ways that Linux puts Windows to shame.

MATE is on a roll these days, and I'm certain somebody will give this tutorial a whirl very, very, soon.  I don't see myself ever leaving Peppermint, so I like the idea of being able to try different DEs within the distribution of your choice.

Thank you, Leon8200.

peppermint XFCE sounds good :)
 it would still look like peppermint 6 as long as the peppermix theme is compatible with XFCE

this is peppermix on peppermint-mate

well I got curious about XFCE on peppermint so I installed it,
it looks like this  :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:46:33 pm by Leon8200 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:46:22 pm »
Thank you, Leon8200, for taking the time to do that. :)

I really appreciate you demonstrating that this can be done!

I won't try to redirect this thread to the topic of Xfce, but what you have demonstrated here is what I have tried to do off and on for about a year now.  I always wanted see what a pure Peppermint Xfce DE would look like.  Needless to say, what you have come up with here looks a lot better than with what I came up with when I was doing my experiments with Peppermint and the Xfce desktop environment.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:48:38 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum