Choose style:

Author Topic: Canonical reckons Android phone-makers will switch to Ubuntu  (Read 1838 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Canonical reckons Android phone-makers will switch to Ubuntu
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:58:36 am »
Canonical reckons Android phone-makers will switch to Ubuntu

by Gavin Clarke for The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/09/canonical_ubuntu_google_android_partners
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Canonical reckons Android phone-makers will switch to Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:21:15 am »
Sure, maybe for a few models.  However, don't expect too many OEMs to do this and expect them to keep also producing models with the world's #1 OS.  It's probably going to be like when Dell produced Ubuntu computers.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »
I'll believe it when I see it

Right now I own an android phone but I don't intend to ever own another, and I'll certainly never go down the Apple route, so Ubuntu phone will hopefully be my salvation but for most people apps is everything and the Ubuntu phone platform is sadly lacking in that department and until they sort that out I can't see Ubuntu phone gaining much traction, it's the old chicken and egg scenario all over again 

Personally I don't care too much for apps I have a PC to do these sort of things, in fact I don't care too much for smartphones full stop, but if I can make phone calls send/receive text messages and take the odd snapshot that's all I need, the convergence thing is interesting and could make or break the success of Ubuntu phone, i really do hope it's a success I think they deserve it but I'm sceptical,

nonetheless my next phone will definately be an Ubuntu Phone

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »
Not talking about phones today, my son lost his iPhone 6 last night so I've wasted a day running around changing passwords, getting it blocked, and buying another ::)

There's £470 and a whole day down the drain .. Aaaarghh  >:(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:40 pm »
...hello friends..a solution for lost-stolen device can be...https://preyproject.com/ :-\

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:13 pm »
Not talking about phones today, my son lost his iPhone 6 last night so I've wasted a day running around changing passwords, getting it blocked, and buying another ::)

There's £470 and a whole day down the drain .. Aaaarghh  >:(

You shouldn't grumble i bought one for my daughter a few weeks ago (much against my better judgement) but nothing but an iPhone would do and it cost me near £600  :'(

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »
Wait till she looses it about 9 months into the contract and you have to buy another (and again only an iPhone 6 willl do) .. only then will you qualify to tell me I shouldn't grumble (but I'm willing to bet you won't) ;)

The only positive (?) is he doesn't like the size of the iPhone 6s .. thank god.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:36:10 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »
Honestly I'm not blaming you for grumbling, I grudged every penny I paid for that piece of over priced crap and I'm sure you did as well

can you imagine the kind of PC/Laptop we can get for that money

Graeme

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:37:13 pm »
I know you're not mate .. my response was meant "tongue in cheek" ;)

And yeah, you're right .. I absolutely begrudge paying money to Apple purely for a fashion accessory (and IMHO not even a good one), but sometimes its worth it just for the easy life ::)

These are the times I "get" the pressure we put on our parents with "no I'm not wearing those, they're not Adidas/Wrangler/Lewis Leather/etc."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:47:11 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »
The only positive (?) is he doesn't like the size of the iPhone 6s .. thank god.

I've got fat fingers so I have to get a smartphone that's too big to carry around (not the Apple). The best way not to lose it is don't take it out with you...  :o

Generally speaking I'd like to see something more linux-y on phones and especially tablets. The touch interface is the obvious issue but there shouldn't be a lack of apps if you could install virtually any linux program.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 06:34:16 pm »
To tell the truth like emagra I've never really wanted or needed a "smart" phone .. I have a cheap cast off android phone, but only because it was given to me free otherwise I'd be happy with an old school "dumb" phone (?).

That said, this Ubuntu phone is the first one that has me interested as it's basically a pocket size Linux PC too .. the phone side of things is (to me) an aside.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:02:20 pm »
I don't even use the phone much at all so I'd also be in for a reasonably-priced, modern pocket PC. Ideally it should be able to charge and use USB peripherals at the same time... Doesn't seem too much to ask.

The "dumb" phones are apparently used in countries like India for all sorts of "internet" services via text messages, which sounds like a pretty great idea.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 11:17:02 pm »
Well, I have an hour bus ride to and from work, so a smart phone with music, games and the web is a must.  Though, no overpriced Apple for me, mine is an Android phone that cost me $70.  The contract is cheap too, Walmart's unlimited plan.  I have too much money invested in Android apps to ever consider switching to another OS, not even Ubuntu.

In fact, I'm on the bus using said phone now.  ;)