Choose style:

Author Topic: LinuxHelpGuy is gone  (Read 3033 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: LinuxHelpGuy is gone
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 02:24:07 pm »
If this is the same fellow who was once PuppyLinuxWorld before becoming LinuxHelpGuy, he certainly did some excellent tutorial videos for the Crunchbang community.  This man gave Peppermint some seriously good press, and I'm grateful to him for that.

Now, if he is moving into the let's-hear-it-for-Windows direction, this will be of no help to us who here happily using Peppermint.   People get injured, sick, angry, experience crises ...the list is endless.  Who knows what's going on here.  :-\

Anyway, one of the many things I love about Linux is that there is absolutely no compulsion to use it.  WindowsHelpGuy is a free man, and he can use whatever platform he wants that brings him the most comfort and joy.  But, still, I would like to humbly suggest to him what I suggest to all others as well:  Please consider keeping Peppermint on at least one of your computers.  We have one terrific distribution here --one that works darn well.  Also, our support team second to none.  Then when Windows disappoints WindowsHelpGuy at some point in the future, he still will have some functional computer to fall back on.

Best wishes, WindowsHelpGuy, as you continue on your journey forward.  Thank you, also, for the high praises that you given Peppermint, and our vibrant community.

All the best to you! ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 11:07:49 pm »
As with All Things WindowsHelpGuy (LHG) just give it 24 Hours and for the "anger" to dissipate...  Linux content is now back on his Channel.

He isn't in need of "serious Help" he just needed to cool down.  How would you like it if your 6000+ Subscribers channel were now gone in an instant because of YouTube's Dictator like complaint system where you get no chance to appeal / discuss / acquiesce just "you're guilty you're out"  It's wrong and to find out it was done by people (he mentioned two) from the Linux Community was a dissapointment to say the least. My peronal opinion is there was more to this than is apparent and no I won't simply speculate on what as only WHG will know.   A quick PM to WHG to say - you had been offended by the wallpaper and would he please remove it - who knows - maybe there would have been a different outcome.

I for one am gald he "appears" to be back.   Only time will tell.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:38:20 pm »
So, let's review here.  He posted something that's a violation of the user agreement he agreed to when he created that user account.  YouTube acted according to the terms of said agreement.  But, since the complaint allegedly came from a member of the "Linux community," he pledged to do "untold damage to Linux," despite nothing in the incident being the fault of Linux itself.  Add to that bis earlier "F*** Linux" video, which was a self indulgent rant against Linux in general over his inability to follow simple instructions and get his graphics driver working in Manjaro.  Again, not the fault of Linux.  No, that's not the behavior of somebody who needs help, it's all perfectly normal.

Look, I'm not trying to influence anyone's opinion here, I'm just calling it as I see it.  To me, that's a pattern of behavior and it's only a matter of time until the next "incident."

Oh, and if he reads this and doesn't like it, too bad.  If you can't take public criticism, don't post videos online.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »
If YouTube were to apply their "user agreement" evenly across the board there would be 000's of videos taken down overnight if not tens of 000's
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:39 am »
Googles handling of their own policy is a separate issue here...

Nobody said the youtube rules make sense or are evenly applied, but they ARE well known, LHG was well aware of them and chose to test the boundaries .. to me that's not the sign of someone that's overly bothered about keeping the channel.

You're probably right, whoever complained possibly didn't do it because of the picture but because in their warped mind it empowered them .. but again LHG is well aware people like that exist and are legion, in any case someone visiting youtube (because of their published policy) has a right to expect no nudity so has a "right" to complain if they see it, it was always just a matter of time.

Of course it was someone from the "Linux community" .. who else visits a "Linux" content channel ???

ALL communities have their zealots and social justice warrior reactionaries .. again something he'd be hard pushed to claim ignorance of.

I'm with scifidude, one "F*** Linux" video gets you the benefit of the doubt, a second one for some kind of perceived wronging that was of your own making is a behaviour pattern, and not one I'd feel comfortable supporting (specially in the absence of an explanation and/or apology).

If someone from the Linux community shot me down in flames, AT NO POINT would it cross my mind to take it out on Linux as a whole (even if that were possible, even Microsoft found that like chasing ghosts) .. that is NOT the sign of a Linux friend.

This is just my own personal take on this, we're all grown ups so are free to make our own judgements. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:06:10 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 04:34:03 am »
Initially, I sympathised with the Linux Help Guy.  His knee jerk decision to take out a revenge attack on the Linux community as a whole, hasn't helped his cause one bit.  My sympathy has certainly waned.  He really should rethink his actions while he still can.  There were a vast amount of people who enjoyed his channel and benefited from his videos.  It's such a shame he's willing to flush all the respect he had down the toilet.  It'a damn shame  :(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 04:51:39 am »
From my own experience...

YouTube isn't for everyone, certainly when you have some "success".
The application of the Google/YouTube "User agreement" is just as random as it gets...  >:(
Fake accounts (for flagging videos) and bot-driven removals/sanctions don't make it any easier!

I have kept the drama offline, I suggest he does the same!
YouTube "success" will change you and your life, and if you're not up for it, just stop it there...

I did stop because my honesty was at risk.
LHG/WHG is at that same point now, it's his own decision... only calming down can help him!

I suggest he takes a "7-day" internet break to rethink everything!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 05:20:42 am »
Youtube is what it is ..

a jaw-droppingly profound insight from PCNetSpec ®  :o
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:23:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:40 am »
I suggest he takes a "7-day" internet break to rethink everything!  ;)

I think that's good advice.  A revenge attack on the Linux community as a whole is helpful to no one and will destroy all the goodwill, trust, and reputation LHG/WHG has created for himself over the years.

GNULINUX's suggestion that LHG/WHG take a break from the Internet for a while is a wise idea.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 12:46:59 am »
Many Youtube personalities get too invested in their channels. As such it's possible to get emotional over some topics and the all too often troll. When that happens I log off for a week or two and come back when the problem has moved onto another channel.

That said, I do have a YouTube channel and post only as creative commons which will not monetize the videos. I feel that keeps me from getting too emotionallly invested in the whole "Making money off of YouTube" scheme.

If you're interested I can be found at.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-0vwjceKaa4YyK-BRQu-NA
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:49:42 am by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 05:12:19 am »
That said, I do have a YouTube channel and post only as creative commons which will not monetize the videos. I feel that keeps me from getting too emotionallly invested in the whole "Making money off of YouTube" scheme.
Great advice to keep things "pure"!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!