Choose style:

Author Topic: LinuxHelpGuy is gone  (Read 3257 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
LinuxHelpGuy is gone
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:11:44 pm »
WOW...

LinuxHelpGuy is no more.  His YouTube account has been terminated and his Google+ profile deleted.

All because of a rather risky wallpaper on one of his videos that someone found offensive.

Now he shut down Puppy Linux World before and came back...  So lets hope he does so again.  He gave us good coverage on his Channel.  I for one will miss his informative/thoughtful and often witty reviews.

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: LinuxHelpGuy is gone
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:37 pm »
I did wonder what he was doing with that GIMP tutorial thing  :o

[EDIT]

According to twitter:

Steve Holmes ‏@SteveHolmes13 2h2 hours ago

Just so you know all future content will be on this channel thanks to all those who come over and thanks...
http://youtu.be/ikVAA_8IljA?a

Personally I think it'll probably be an uphill battle doing Linux videos under the name "WindowsHelpGuy" though  ???
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:11:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »
Yeah - Nigh on impossible as unless he gets the search criteria "jimmied" for want of a better word.    Searching Linux - isn't going to bring his WindowsHelpGuy channel up....

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:45 pm »
Ah...
In a former life I was a YouTuber and Blogger.
After some trouble with Google (I never did get what I was doing wrong), I deleted the whole thing!

YouTube has evolved into a commercial thing!
Ads, keywords, SEO, other channels who flag your videos, copyright madness and Google not responding for months...

Damn, I still can feel the anger when I think about it!  >:(
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 04:31:38 pm »
That's a damn shame.  He had a fine channel and was a good friend to the Peppermint ProjectSteve, if you get to read this.  There are a lot of people here who think what happened to you sucks.  There are too many politically correct meddlers ruining good things, to make way for what amounts to,  GREY!!  >:(.  I for one hope you make a comeback soon  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:49:34 pm »
Just saw that LinuxHelpGuy is back on WindowsHelpGuy 2015 youtube channel which he says he will use for Windows, Linux, Chrome, and game videos.  He says he has learned a lesson and will keep this channel "white".   ;)

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:27:15 am »
I really like his videos (and voice) but from my own experience I also learned something very important.
Google (and partners) say "Jump!" and you must ask "How high?", that's the only way to stay on YouTube...

I find you lose a part of your honesty there...

I can see the ads IN his videos (if I disable uBlock Origin) so I know he has chosen money and fame above honesty!
Been there, done that!

Maybe I'm getting old and don't like the "commercial" internet or maybe I just hate Google/YouTube?
It's full of cracked software, links to malware and full movies and then they decide to block some Linux videos!

Just my 2cents...  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:07 am »
I'm a sucker for a British accent anyway, but I've alway been entertained and informed by listening to LinuxHelpGuy's videos.  LinuxHelpGuy is well-informed, and has a natural aptitude for explaining an OS in a way that is easy for a viewer to understand.  He also has been keeping us entertained with his witty remarks which were usually peppered with off-color, short, Anglo-Saxon words.  His exotic wallpapers here and there have been spicing things up too.  This is all been his schtick! ;)

Now, he's wisely done his mea culpa.  But, as for grabbing a few cents from advertisements, why not?  With a lot of luck, he might be able to self-fund his home Internet service on a monthly basis --but I doubt it.  It's more likely these videos are only bringing in coffee money --and that's at its best.

We have to remember here, LinuxHelpGuy (who is now WindowsHelpGuy 2015) has found something he likes doing.  And, he is also providing a service that many of us find helpful and entertaining.  I say let's help Steve enjoy a cappuccino every now and then.  Let's turn off our ad-blockers for Steve in the same way that I hope we're all turning off our ad-blockers for Peppermint forum, and for all our other favorite sites that we visit too.  Yeah, we all get disgusted with Google's antics from time to time (at least I know that I do), but I just don't know what the alternative to Google, or to YouTube, would be at this time. :-\
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:14 am »
Well, as someone who saw his "F*** Linux" video, I'm of mixed feelings about this.  While he was a friend to Peppermint, he displayed erratic behavior at times and I personally felt he could, at any time for any reason, turn on us.  Anybody who saw that video or some others from around that time knows what I'm talking about.

Also, this isn't the first time LinuxHelpGuy was no more.  Though, the last time he didn't take down the channel.  In fact, I believe it was shortly after the "F*** Linux" video that WindowsHelpGuy was created.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:43 pm »
No, I've pretty much stayed with his reviews of Peppermint, and with his observations on Manjaro.  But, no, that language would not be Peppermint forum friendly. 

I could be wrong about this, but a couple years back there was fellow called PuppyLinuxWorld who did a series of instructional videos called Crunchbang 11 Bootcamp.  Although I didn't go too far into the series, I thought, from what I did see, that the series was excellent.  I have always assumed that LinuxHelpGuy was the new incarnation of PuppyLinuxWorld. 

Now, watch me be totally wrong about this.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
zebedeeboss, could you summarize what he said in the video?

ATM the video is private...  :(

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:05 am »
I am not sure it is my place to do so now he has decided to remove the video.  I think it is more appropriate for me to remove my post mentioning it. Sorry.

EDIT: previous post linking video deleted
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:47:06 am by zebedeeboss »

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
zebedeeboss, I understand, no problem!  ;)

PS: I see your post is removed...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
Hey, he made it public.....

The general gist was "Google told me a linux user was the complainant", "I'm angry", "Linux community as a whole shouldn't be blamed" but "I'm gonna use the WindowsHelpGuy channel to damage Linux as a whole and at every opportunity".

BTW, the use of quotation marks above should NOT be used to infer they are "direct" quotations .. they were used more as highlights for the generalisations.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:44:59 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:06 pm »
This dude needs some serious help.

I want to know what damage he even thinks he's going to do to Linux.  Linux has been around for over 24 years and will continue on with or without him.  It's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Heck, the world's number one OS is Linux based.  I'm using it right now.  So, claiming he is going to do damage to Linux just goes to show how mentally unstable he is.  Even many of his Windows followers will realize he has a screw loose.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:08:49 pm by scifidude79 »