Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 will keep spying on you no matter how hard you try to stop it  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
All over the news the past few days: http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/

The fact that Windows 10 is a real chatterbox to the outside world is hardly news nor a secret. You agree to this by signing the EULA.

Plugging in a PC into an oldfashioned hub with Wireshark running didn't leave much to my imagination. I never went as far as the researcher mentioned in the article above though. I just went back to Windows 7, typed "Too many privacy concerns" into the "Why?" field and went on with my life. Windows 7 is gone too now, replaced by Linux.

Questions remain. Is it really necessary to contact 51 Microsoft IP addresses 5508 times within 8 hours in order to (Quote Microsoft) "make the experience better for everyone"?
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Windows 10 will keep spying on you no matter how hard you try to stop it
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:09:10 am »
All over the news the past few days: http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/

The fact that Windows 10 is a real chatterbox to the outside world is hardly news nor a secret. You agree to this by signing the EULA.

Plugging in a PC into an oldfashioned hub with Wireshark running didn't leave much to my imagination. I never went as far as the researcher mentioned in the article above though. I just went back to Windows 7, typed "Too many privacy concerns" into the "Why?" field and went on with my life. Windows 7 is gone too now, replaced by Linux.

Questions remain. Is it really necessary to contact 51 Microsoft IP addresses 5508 times within 8 hours in order to (Quote Microsoft) "make the experience better for everyone"?
You know what leaves me bewildered?  I can't get my head around how businesses are going to accept the terms of the current Windows 10 EULA.  Are Microsoft relying on their existing customer's apathy towards changing systems see them through?  Or, are they going to offer a different EULA for the enterprise version of Window 10?  Either way, I can't see a mass exodus to RedHat, Suse or Ubuntu for Enterprise.  Although I'm sure these will benefit from Windows 10's unpopularity.  Honestly, I just don't get Microsoft's strategy in regards to the enterprise side of things  :-\.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:11:44 am »
You know what leaves me bewildered?  I can't get my head around how businesses are going to accept the terms of the current Windows 10 EULA.

I've wondered about that as well ie my missus works for a private school, which runs Windows Server, and the holds quite a bit of sensitive information not only about the pupils but the parents as well. if I was one of these parents I would definitely have concerns regarding privacy

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 05:15:51 am »
Another article about the same spying/tracking..

Quote from: Myself
Nothing new... Windows 10 is made for spying/tracking! Everyone who does his own research knows this...
Just use CurrPorts or Wireshark and be amazed about all those "random" connections!
Even if you manage to disable everything, M$ just sneaks it back in via the automatic (mandatory) updates!

There's no use in fighting your own OS, accept it or change OS...  8)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:09:02 am »
(Quote Microsoft) "make the experience better for everyone"?

LOL :)) .. yeah right, that's why they're doing it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:09:17 am »
You know what leaves me bewildered?  I can't get my head around how businesses are going to accept the terms of the current Windows 10 EULA..

Did they read it? If Yes, did they understand it? Just mentioning two possible reasons....
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:14:13 am »
You know what leaves me bewildered?  I can't get my head around how businesses are going to accept the terms of the current Windows 10 EULA..

Did they read it? If Yes, did they understand it? Just mentioning two possible reasons....
You'd expect them to.  I know I would if I was a small to medium sized business.  I would want to know what I was getting into before parting with one cent towards Microsoft's exorbitant license fees.  If I were a large business, I'd expect, my very expensive corporate legal team to report back to the board in detail.  I would want the board of directors to be quite sure of the contract's contents, the company's responsibilities and the penalties for breaking it.  As I said, it leaves me bewildered to what Microsoft are playing at and what their goals are.  I just can't get my head around it  :-\.   
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:26:56 pm »
Seems like the original research is deleted/taken down.
You can find the "deleted" post here, happy reading!  :)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »

No, it just makes the experience better for Microsoft, the FBI and the NSA.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
(Quote Microsoft) "make the experience better for everyone"?

LOL :)) .. yeah right, that's why they're doing it.

Windows 10 - Just when you thought Microsoft couldn't get more annoying, THIS happens

By AARON BROWN

MICROSOFT is now displaying pop-up advertisements for its online storage solution, OneDrive, inside your files and folder windows in Windows 10, a new report has claimed. --Aaron Brown

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/777050/Windows-10-Free-Download-Adverts

In case you didn't think this was possible, it sounds as if Windows 10 is still finding ways to get worse and worse.  Windows, apparently, is now advertising one of its ways to spy on you more. ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:58:46 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
Win7 already had pop-ups for Win10, as long as they don't switch the "X" and "Buy" buttons one day... How long do you think it takes for this to happen? :D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Win7 already had pop-ups for Win10, as long as they don't switch the "X" and "Buy" buttons one day... How long do you think it takes for this to happen? :D

Hi Timo,

You're more on target than you may think.  I heard that months ago, while Windows 10 was still free for the able-bodied, people would x-out the free Windows 10 Upgrade offer.  What these people didn't realize was that x-ing out the offer triggered the upgrade process to begin.  In other words, you were supposed to look at that stupid ad for Windows 10 all of the time, or x it out and install it.  Your choice was between bad or worse. 

Believe it or not, you can still get Windows 10 for free if you use special assistive technologies of some sort.  Yeah, Windows 10 for the disabled is offered here at no cost.  Although I can't rattle off the names of the Linux distributions which assist the disabled, they do exist.  So depending on special assistive technologies from Windows in not necessary for anyone today.  What a curse it would be if the disabled had Windows 10 as their one and only option.  Fortunately, that is not the case.

I don't trust Windows' cloud.  I don't even know if you're able to encrypt your data in OneDrive.  I've always disabled OneDrive storage in Windows 8.1 and 10 shortly after installation. :-\

perknh

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
What these people didn't realize was that x-ing out the offer triggered the upgrade process to begin.  In other words, you were supposed to look at that stupid ad for Windows 10 all of the time, or x it out and install it.  Your choice was between bad or worse.
The proper way to close it was through the taskmanager ;) I did that anyways because the pop-up would just reappear after half an hour if you only clicked the X. But once the process was killed it was silent. Would be interesting to know if the OneDrive ad is an additional process or if they really put it into the explorer.

I switched to Linux before things went to crazy, according to the registration date in this forum I did my first Linux install a year and six days ago. OVER A YEAR USING LINUX, I'm still using Windows sometimes (at least only 7, I've never done a single keystroke on a Win10 machine and since I've red the Win10 EULA I'm doing my best to keep it this way) but I really hate it if I have to boot win7... I never liked it, but XP wasn't an option. Until I installed P6, which felt a bit like the better XP.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Happy Linux birthday Timo :)

Here, have one on us...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:41:27 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Happy Linux birthday Timo :)

Wow!  How time flies?  Congratulations for completing your first year with Peppermint.  You don't have to toss out Windows 7.  If you feel comfortable running Windows 7 and Peppermint 6 together, why not continue to do so?  I started here with Peppermint 3 on a thumb drive while running Windows Vista. 

We're glad you're with us, Timo.  Congratulations!!!  :)