Choose style:

Author Topic: Guide To Install Ubuntu 14.04 In Dual Boot Mode With Windows 8 Or 8.1 UEFI  (Read 4839 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
To my friends at Peppermint:

I did not create these instructions, nor did I create the title of this post.  The instructions and a title are from It's F.O.S.S.:  Open Source News, Tips And Tutorials.* The man behind It's F.O.S.S. is a very smart computer engineer named Abhishek Prakash.  I subscribe to the It's F,O.S.S newsletter, which is the source of this link.  My hope is that this link may be helpful to someone trying to enter into the world of Linux on a new Windows 8 or 8.1 computer.
Here's the link:

http://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1404-dual-boot-mode-windows-8-81-uefi/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsFoss+%28Its+FOSS%21+An+Open+Source+Blog%29

perknh

*Peppermint is not responsible for the contents of any resources posted here and, if you decide to follow these instructions, you do so at your own risk.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:22:08 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Great article.  Thx!

Only thing I would add is:

If you're running an SSD, be sure to reserve 10 to 25 percent of the storage capacity as unallocated (unpartitioned/unformatted/unused) space for over-provisioning. 

Basically, this will improve the performance of your SSD, and make it last longer.   ;)

EDIT

Extra Credit Reading: [PDF] The Why And How Of SSD Over Provisioning - SMART Storage Sys   8)

1 Overview

Solid State Disks reserve a portion of their total flash address space for “Over Provisioning” (OP), a percentage of the total physical memory reserved by the SSD and not part of the device’s logical address space. The level of OP affects both write performance and endurance (operational lifetime). Higher is always better. The differences in performance and endurance that result from the changes in OP are all a “natural” result of the amount of reserved physical address space, there are no algorithmic changes, the drive just runs more “efficiently” when the OP is higher.

The HDD equivalent to this is called “short stroking” and the implications of the change are identical. The exact same device running the exact same firmware simply accesses a larger or smaller range of the physical address space.

The benefit for a storage OEM is that qualifying an SSD with a one OP configuration is in essence the same as qualifying all OP configurations. The firmware and the hardware of the drive remain the same; the only difference will be seen in its performance, logical capacity and endurance specifications. Separate qualification processes for different levels of Over Provisioning within the same product family are not required.  [...]

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:50:42 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Thank you for adding that, VinDSL.  I can see you know much more about this than I do.  In fact I've never experienced this problem myself. I just know others have.

You see I was extremely fortunate that PCNetSpec saved me, just in the nick of time, from buying a laptop that had Windows 8 installed on it.  After corresponding with him, I found, shortly thereafter, a new laptop with Windows 7 installed on it instead.  That's why I've never had this problem myself.

But I've heard it said that this new Windows feature, found within Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, called Secure Boot is a "solution in search of a problem".  So anytime I can help bring somebody over to Linux without she or he experiencing too much discomfort, I want to do so.  I'm sure what you have added here will help somebody with a SSD.  And SSDs, thankfully, are becoming more and more common as time passes on.

Thank you very much, VinDSL.

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum