Choose style:

Author Topic: What is Windows Manager do in Linux is It part of Destop Enviorment lik -SOLVED  (Read 1597 times)

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hi,

I want to learn about Linux windows manager what is it and it do? Is it part of Desktop enviorment (LXDE) or separate component?

What is the difference between openbox/fluxbox/ICEWM. What is the  Windows manager of peppermint 6.

Why user want to change windows manager instead of default. These question came into my mind when read some posts in this forum
which discuss this concepts and Sorry to say I don't able to understand those things. I had tried to search on google but I'm not able understand this
concept completely. 

I request you please share information/Articles/youtube video so I can understand this concept.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:34:00 am by rajeev2631007 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Basically a Window Manager is the software that takes care of drawing the window surrounds and decorations (the box around the window contents and the titlebar) and their functionality such as resizing open/close/minimise/etc,  though they sometimes contain extra functionality too

See the overview here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/window_manager

Peppermint 5/6 uses the xfwm4 window manager as it has extra functionality over the default LXDE window manager such as transparency and window snapping to name a couple .. yet it's still light on system resources.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:22:59 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Some reading that I did to understand it better: Ask Ubuntu and Window Managers

I use kwin window manager on my main system for the extra eye candy and some additional functionality.
In this topic you can view a screenshot and how I installed/activated it (2nd page).

Hope this helps!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I request you please share steps how to change and configure Xfwm4 to Openbox WM. I want to know is it improve performance on old and less RAM computers? There is any big difference between feature and Performance in above WM. Is it worth to do this.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Hi rajeev2631007,

I alternate using Openbox and Fluxbox window managers, which are terrific for speed and for computers with only small RAM size. Both improve performance. The lightest on resources is Fluxbox and my tutorial for using it can be found in this posting. If you are interested in Openbox then read my other posting. In both you can download sample configurations files to help you get started. The comments in these configuration files are hopefully easy to understand.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thank you Slim. I think you used both and experience both. Can you suggest me which one is better as per your experience and understanding. I found one link which explaining difference but as layman don't see much difference. May be my lack of understanding about concept.

http://www.differencebtw.com/difference-between-fluxbox-and-openbox/

What do you think about  and advice me which one I try first and experience.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
Hi rajeev2631007,

They really are almost identical -- in features, concept, and in apperance and appearance options. The major difference for me is that Fluxbox uses less RAM at startup. On my desktop PC I find Openbox using approximately 120 MB RAM while Fluxbox starts use about 75 MB of RAM. My standard Peppermint Six installation with the Peppermint version of XFWM4 Desktop uses about 135 MB of RAM after startup. Similar results for my Laptops.

I use the tabs feature in Fluxbox often and would like to have that in Openbox, but see no way to do it. On the other hand, I like the freedom that Openbox gives me for the panel: I can use almost any panel out there, or none at all if I want to go really light weight. Fluxbox has its own panel.

All other differences are (for me) unimportant. As for speed, I see no difference at all (contrary to your linked review).

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:58:03 pm by Slim.Fatz »

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thank you very much Slim  for your input and to the point explanation.  :)

I'll go through you tutorial and  give a try to Fluxbox first.

Thank you very much again.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I tried fluxbox and openbox both it's work for me.Slims configuration files are make this process easy and simple. Thanks you Slims for that. I also found some tutorial for openbox and fluxbox . I hope it will be helpful and informative for others.

How to Configure And Customize Openbox 

https://www.maketecheasier.com/configure-andcustomize-openbox/

openbox setup (Openbox, tint2, nitrogen, pytyle2 on Ubuntu)

Fluxbox -Setting Up Background -Monitor Resolution-Menu Configurations

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
Hi rajeev2631007,

Thank you very much for posting links to these videos. I'm sure that many interested readers will be happy to find them. I have added new postings to my Fluxbox tutorial and to my Openbox posting (also with sample configuration files) pointing interested readers to these videos.

Regards,

-- Slim