Choose style:

Author Topic: Wrong partition ID on /DATA partition [SOLVED]  (Read 2406 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Wrong partition ID on /DATA partition [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:47 am »
Well the Ubiquity installer has the "get updates during the install" option .. so do we really need or want terminal windows popping up post install ?

To me that smacks of the installer not having fully done its job, which looks bad, and may scare the $%^ outa new converts who've already (wrongly) been told Linux is all about the terminal .. if anything I'd rather do it via a GUI welcome screen.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:47:30 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Well the Ubiquity installer has the "get updates during the install" option .. so do we really need or want terminal windows popping up post install ?

To me that smacks of the installer not having fully done its job, which looks bad, and may scare the $%^ outa new converts who've already (wrongly) been told Linux is all about the terminal .. if anything I'd rather do it via a GUI welcome screen.
They do it to save ISO space and the terminal appearing is not intimidating.  It goes rather well with the minimalist setup the BunsenLabs team are continuing from Crunchbang.  It's like a, Welcome Basket  8).  They've made Openbox for the first time user about as user friendly as you can get.  I still wouldn't recommend it to the nervous first time user.  The more adventurous ones, I'd tell 'em to give it a go  ;).   I've never had much luck with the Ubiqity update installer.  Too many times it's locked up an installation.  I then keep it turned off and the installation goes as smooth as silk.  To be truthfully, I've had such a bad time with it, I've never tried it with a Peppermint installation.  I always run the updates post installation as part of a routine.  I guess that's why I rather like the well scripted  post-installation terminal the BunsenLabs team use.  It's so easy and quick.   It works really well too.  I've the rock solid installation you'd expect from Debian.  Plus the non-free extras that makes it usable for the non Stallmanist.  It's all tied together with a very slick implementation of the Openbox interface.   Yeah, I find the post installation scripts pretty impressive.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:33 pm »
Hi guys,

My experiences with the Ubiquity update installer mirror those of AndyInMokum. As a result, I also only run updates immediately after installation.

@AndyInMokum: I still use and like Openbox but find Fluxbox just as good but with about 45 MB less RAM usage at startup: approx. 120 MB for Openbox versus approx. 75 MB for Fluxbox.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 03:14:45 am »
Hi guys,

My experiences with the Ubiquity update installer mirror those of AndyInMokum. As a result, I also only run updates immediately after installation.

@AndyInMokum: I still use and like Openbox but find Fluxbox just as good but with about 45 MB less RAM usage at startup: approx. 120 MB for Openbox versus approx. 75 MB for Fluxbox.

Regards,

-- Slim
Thanks for the info.  I've never tried Fluxbox.  When I get my little Acer Aspire One back up and running.  I'm going to try your Fluxbox installation of Peppermint Six.  I used Openbox with Crunchbang.  I had plenty of space on my SSD so I installed BunsenLabs Hydrogen.  It's a community continuation of Crunchbang with a very polished Openbox interface.  I'm using it right now and it's running between 274 to 345 MiB of memory.  It goes like a bolt of lightning running it from the SSD.  It makes Debian really sexy  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.