Choose style:

Author Topic: APP SHORCUTS ON DESKTOP NO WORK OK!!  (Read 2336 times)

Offline kimlik66

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
APP SHORCUTS ON DESKTOP NO WORK OK!!
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:13:12 am »
Hi folks;
I have just installed Peppermint-6.
All works fine except for one big issue:  The application icons' shortcuts i added to desktop do not work as expected.
I added Chromium, Skype and Firefox icons on desktop.
You see, i have installed Peppermint-6 for my barely-computer literate friend.
He quite often right-clicks on (say Firefox or Skype) and then, unknowingly, clicks on the submenu that says "Open with".
And that's when the trouble starts because it opens (by default) with Text editor !!
I had tried very hard to have those shortcut icons open with a proper program (for example Firefox shortcut with Firefox proper, and Skype shortcut with Skype proper) to no avail !!
If my friend weren't nervous, therefore he would have simply double clicked (or click on the "Open" option (instead of "Open with" option), then there wouldn't be an issue.
Similarly, if Peppermint-6 was properly coded, we definitely would have not such a mundane issue now BECAUSE regardless of my friend's mistake; the proper program would have launched (instead of the irrelevant Text editor.)
About three yrs ago i had installed Peppermint and i recall everything worked perfectly.
Accordingly, you would think and expect that Peppermint-6 now would and should work better NOT worse!
Please help me to solve this highly irritating issue as i truly admire Peppermint in every other way.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: APP SHORCUTS ON DESKTOP NO WORK OK!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:53 am »
Hi kimlik66 , welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  There's nothing wrong with the coding, it's all working as it's supposed to.  The normal way to launch a package is to use the left mouse click.  Using the right mouse click accesses, additional functions.  You see at the very top of the list it says: Open.  Clicking on this option opens the programme in the normal manner.  Your friend should maybe learn the difference and get into a habit of either using the left mouse click or the plain Open function on the right mouse click.  This is where the issue resides, not with the coding  ;)

There's also nothing irrelevant about opening with the Text Editor.  It's an important function for making changes to how the launcher behaves.  That's why it's on the right mouse click.  The whole system is set up for ease of use.  One just has to take the time to learn how they function and when to use them.  You could also have just asked politely, rather that introducing yourself with all guns unnecessarily blazing.  There you go, issue resolved - have fun  ;).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:07:45 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:50:28 am »
Hi kimlik66 and welcome,

Just like AndyInMokum, I cannot see anything wrong with it.
It's a feature, that's the whole idea of shortcuts/launchers, try the same thing on Windows and then come back...  ;)

...if Peppermint-6 was properly coded...
IF you find a fault/bug in the code AND you report it in a proper manner, I'm sure the Peppermint-Team will investigate and if necessary correct it!

That being said...
Maybe if you place the shortcuts/launchers in a well configured dock (like plank) your friend can work better with it since the "open with" option is not present there anymore?
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:11:48 am »
Why is he right-clicking the desktop icons in the first place ?

The "open with" context menu option is only there to allow you to choose a NON standard application to open the file with, it defaults to "text editor" quite correctly so you can edit the .desktop launcher if you want (which is a text file by the way) .. he could always choose the correct application from the offered list though.

So as you've explained things, it's working exactly as it should  :-\

If you normal left click the desktop icon does the application open properly ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:13:41 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimlik66

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:36:50 am »
There's nothing wrong with the coding, it's all working as it's supposed to. There you go, issue resolved - have fun  ;).
Thank you all for replying BUT the issue remains unresolved. Once again, please remember the fact that Firefox (or Skype and Chromium) are applications. They're not text or word documents and therefore their shortcuts should not be opened up by a Text or word processor.
I have tried countless distros, besides MacOS and Windows and had never encountered a bizzare issue like this one.
In a normal OS, if you were to right click on those shortcuts, it will present you with all programs available on your OS so that you can chose the appropriete application (or program) to start (or launch) the application. But in Peppermint6's case (when we right click on the exact same menu called Open with, we are given only 2 (that's two) choice of applications which is the Text editor and Abiword, both of which are not the right application programs, as they rather are text or word processing application programs.
Right now i'm not only further frustrated, but i'm also very much puzzeled by the nature of your response. I mean here's a user reporting a serious issue and you're totally ignoring it !!
Anyway, this is really enough frustration for me. I'm going to download and replace Peppermint6 with Bodhi Linux and have my aforementioned friend use it until the next release of Peppermint-7 which i, truly hope, will be a fine OS, like when i had installed it and tried it several years ago.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:52:16 am »
Thank you all for replying BUT the issue remains unresolved. Once again, please remember the fact that Firefox (or Skype and Chromium) are applications. They're not text or word documents and therefore their shortcuts should not be opened up by a Text or word processor.

Desktop launchers (icons) are indeed just text files .. these text files contain instructions to start the application, and which icon file to display (amongst other things  .. so "open with" is displaying the correct application for editing them.

I have tried countless distros, besides MacOS and Windows and had never encountered a bizzare issue like this one.

Well the opendesktop.org standards, who are the body that define .desktop launchers would disagree with you there:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/
 .. so if other distros don't offer a text editor for editing what IS after all a text file, THEY are broken not us ;)

Here's an example .. a "Text Editor" .desktop launcher (icon) contains this
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Text Editor
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=gedit %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=text/plain;
Icon=accessories-text-editor
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor;
X-GNOME-DocPath=gedit/gedit.xml
X-GNOME-FullName=Text Editor
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gedit
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=3.10.4
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-ExtraInfoScript=/usr/share/gedit/gedit-bugreport
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gedit
So as you can see, it *IS* just a text file .. though it's a special type of text file that launches an application.

Nobody is ignoring you, were trying to explain things, and to understand your problem .. but you're not taking onboard what's being said because you seem to have arrived here with an "I am right, everyone else is wrong" attitude.

If you want to continue .. Please post the contents of:
Code: [Select]
gedit ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
as if "open with" is only giving you two options something is broken.

Otherwise, we hope you enjoy Bodhi
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:20:13 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:02:42 am »
I think educating your friend is all you have to do to 'fix' the problem. You' re now blaming PeppermintOS for the ignorance of a user.

Hans
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline kimlik66

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:26:40 am »
I think educating your friend is all you have to do to 'fix' the problem. You' re now blaming PeppermintOS for the ignorance of a user. Hans
Hi and thanx for the suggestion. I'm going to try that. Accordingly, i would appreciate if you can tell me how to launch with a single mouse click. I'm a newbie, therefore kindly scribe for me (step by step) as to how i should exactly execute or implement any codes or command lines you may offer to me regarding mouse clicking.
And, once again, please remember that i want to disregard double-clicking in favour of single-clicking.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:44:42 am »
Single clicking can be set by opening the file manager

menu > File Manager

then in the nemo file manager, go to

Edit > Preferences > Behaviour (tab)

and putting a tick in "Single click to open items"

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimlik66

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 09:28:54 am »
Desktop launchers (icons) are indeed just text files .. these text files contain instructions to start the application, and which icon file to display (amongst other things  .. so "open with" is displaying the correct application for editing them
If you want to continue .. Please post the contents of:
gedit ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
as if "open with" is only giving you two options something is broken.
Truly a big thank you to you all for your efforts and for your being patient with me despite my in-your-face style postings.
Just now i managed to to have Chromuim and Skype to appear in the list of applications (when i right click and choosed Open with another program option.
However, i know have different issue (however tiny). And here it is:
After i associated above-mentioned Chromium shortcut with the above-desribed Chromium in the menu list; Chromium opens up ok, however it confuses my friend James.
Why??
The answer is because Chromium opens up as a totally blank page with the following line in the address bar:
"file:///home/James/Desktop/chromium-browser.desktop"
Now, it would be really great if you can, please show me (step by step) as to what, exactly, i should do, or what codes should i exactly execute in order to ensure Chromium opens up only this website: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/toronto which's my friend's home choice of website.
Also,i should mention that (unlike Skype and Chromium) i could not manage to have Firefox appear in the above-mentioned program and files list, like i had managed to have Skype and Chromium listed. And by the way, Skype works fine without any issues. So, now hope you can guide me (step by step) to make Firefox appear in ther list.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:39:37 am by kimlik66 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:49 am »
Hi kimlik66, this is a nice and easy one.  I'm going to show you how to do this.  I'm then going to show you a very cool feature that was developed here at Peppermint.  It's an alternative way of managing shortcuts/favourites.  Okay, firstly open your Chromium Browser from the menu.  In the top right hand corner you'll see an icon that looks like a hamburger.  Left click on this and then navigate to: Setting > On Start-up.  Select: Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages.  Left click on: Set pages.  In the new window, copy and paste: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/toronto into the: Add a new page field and click on: Ok.  This page should now open on Chromium Browser startup  ;).

Okay, now to the cool feature  :)Peppermint Six can create an SSB, (Site Specific Browser) from any URL with the utility tool: Ice.  These are essentially, web apps.  There are several of these made by default.  The one for this forum is a good example: menu > Internet > Peppermint Forum.  For more information, follow this link to the Peppermint User's Guide page: Chapter 5 - Site Specific Browsers and the Ice Application.  These are very useful links and child's play to create.

Open Ice: menu > internet > Ice.  See image below.

In the new Ice window, give the new SSB a name: TorontoWeather for example, enter the web address, for this SSB: www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/toronto.  Select where you want the SSB to appear in the menu from the dropdown menu.  Select an Icon or use the site favicon.  Select Chromium and click Apply.  Your friend's weather page will now appear in the menu structure as an SSB.  This saves having multiple Chromium tabs open.   Can you let us know how you installed Firefox?  Did you install it from the official repository or, did you install it from the internet?  I hope this helps - have fun  ;).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:46:33 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline kimlik66

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »
Single clicking can be set by opening the file manager
menu > File Manager
then in the nemo file manager, go to
Edit > Preferences > Behaviour (tab)
and putting a tick in "Single click to open items"
Thanks a lot, but i followed your instructions and still see no Nemo File Manager and therefore i cannot carryout your recommendation.
So, now i need your help to how to find (or install) Nemo.
I would appreciate sih to sincerely and i need this immedietly.
Thanks again so much to you ALL wonderful folks at pprmnt community!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »
Hi kimlik66, Nemo is the default file manager for Peppermint Six   :).   Anytime you open the file manager, it will be Nemo.  Navigate to: menu > File Manager or use the keyboard shortcut: Super + e, (the Super key usually has the Windows logo on it.  It's directly to the left of the Alt key on the left hand side of your keyboard.  You can also launch Nemo from the terminal window, (keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t) by entering:
nemo
and hitting the enter key.  Once Nemo has opened, navigate to: Edit > Preferences > Behaviour (tab).  The very first item in the list is: Single click to open items.  Make sure this is checked/ticked.  Select, Close and that's it, all done  ;).  You can always check the name and version of a programme by right or left clicking on the Help tab in the programme's tasks bar.  Select: About to get the details of the programme.  Try it in the file manager, you'll see it's Nemo  ;).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:56:43 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 05:48:43 pm »
Hi kimlik66, I have one more question in regards to Firefox.  Have you actually installed it, or do you need assistance installing it?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 03:33:51 pm »
After i associated above-mentioned Chromium shortcut with the above-desribed Chromium in the menu list; Chromium opens up ok, however it confuses my friend James.
Why??
The answer is because Chromium opens up as a totally blank page with the following line in the address bar:
"file:///home/James/Desktop/chromium-browser.desktop"

I don't understand why you're having so much difficulty with desktop launchers .. how exactly are you creating them on the desktop in the first place ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec