Choose style:

Author Topic: unable to run Peppermint 6 64 liveusb on Acer Aspire es 15 (es1-531-c3yg)  (Read 2403 times)

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32), 7 (64)
After modifying the BIOS boot sequence to UEFI (no option to disable secure) and using UNetbootin (later usb-creator-gtk after reading the manual) to create the bootable usb, I still can't go past the try-install-check prompt. They all result with a freezed computer and me hardreseting it.
Is there any solution?

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Hey damig!

I have the Acer Aspire E 15 (e5-551-t1z2), so we're pretty close to having the same machine. I used UNetBootin to create my live USB. I have a few basic questions.

Did you verify the checksum of the ISO?

You say that you couldn't disable secure-boot, which confuses me. On mine, I wouldn't be able to boot the live USB without disabling secure boot. Was there no 'Secure Boot' to toggle, or was there a toggle present and you could not disable it?

And have you tried going straight into the installer, instead of booting into the Peppermint desktop?

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
hi razznak and thank you for your reply,

yes I did verified the md5, and successfully installed it on another laptop.
the secure boot is dimmed and I can't highlight it (the cursor skips it). It's the only unchangeable option in the 'boot' tab, opposed to legacy/uefi and boot order which are changeable.
yes, I tried all 3 options and they all end up with freezed comp and me hardreseting it

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
I assume the Secure Boot being grayed out would mean it's disabled, so we shouldn't have to worry about it. For why it's freezing upon install, I couldn't guess. I'm sure someone smarter than I will come around, don't lose hope!  :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Is the BIOS in UEFI mode or Legacy BIOS / CSM mode ?

I'd expect the secureboot to be unavailable unless you're in UEFI mode.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
ah razznak, I wish that was the case - it's grayed out in enabled mode...
PCNetSpec, there are only 2 options for boot mode: UEFI and legacy. I'm using UEFI
In legacy, there is no secure option at all, only boot order.  In UEFI, the secure boot shows up but it's grayed out in enabled mode
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:31:24 pm by damig »

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
ey guys, there is a BIOS upgrade on http://www.acer.com.vn/ac/vi/VN/content/drivers dated 2015/12/14 v1.11 (mine is 1.08) with description 'Improves UEFI mode reliability'. I wonder....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:53:32 pm by damig »

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
It sounds like that may be what's wrong. Could it hurt to update?

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I don't think it will void the warranty, but it definitely needs more research on how-to
I'll keep you informed...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
I don't think it will void the warranty, but it definitely needs more research on how-to
I'll keep you informed...
I doubt it will void the warranty.  It's an official Acer upgrade.  However,  I'd check if the upgrade needs to be done by an certified Acer repair/maintenance outlet.  As your machine is still under warranty, the BIOS upgrade maybe a free service under the terms of the warranty.  At least if the machine gets "bricked", it's their problem to resolve, not yours  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: unable to run Peppermint 6 64 liveusb on Acer Aspire es 15 (es1-531-c3yg)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »
I successfully changed 'secure boot' to disabled by setting a supervisor password in security tab, but it didn't resolved the issue.  ???

Offline damig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: unable to run Peppermint 6 64 liveusb on Acer Aspire es 15 (es1-531-c3yg)
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:24:09 pm »
Andy, since there is really scarce info on performing the operation on this particular model w/o windows, contacting/visiting the service is my best option. I came across a post stating: "...and should not be performed on any other model Acer Aspire One" (http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3288), so I'll hold my horses until tomorrow. Thx for the support