Author Topic: Google Chrome 32-bit no longer to receive support!  (Read 3319 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Google Chrome 32-bit no longer to receive support!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 03:14:42 am »
I agree, flash is dead .. it's just taking time to decompose (which you'd expect to happen faster with the amount of bugs in the corpse).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:19 am »
It's not dead until every site stops using it.  After all, it is still being developed.  Though, technically, we have Apple to thank for so many sites switching over to HTML5.  Since they've never allowed Flash to be installed on iOS, it forced sites like YouTube (owned by Google, ironically) to find an alternative for content that requires Flash. Though, even YouTube doesn't always remember it doesn't need Flash anymore.  I frequently get the "you need a plugin to view this content" message when I go to watch embedded videos on other sites.  However, the same videos work fine if I go to YouTube and watch them.   ::)

Flash is being phased out by every major company except Adobe in favor of HTML5. It's just a matter of (not much more) time.

There's a major difference between being phased out and are already phased out.  I went to watch a show on NBC's website the other night that a guy at work suggested to me.  I was hoping they'd seen the light and were using HTML5 now.  No such luck.  I tried the video in Firefox, and it told me I had to have the Flash player installed.  So, I had to watch it in Chrome.  Hulu still requires Flash, as does CBS.  Those are at least three major entertainment sites still requiring Flash.  It's hard to say if they'll be switched over to HTML5 by next year.  At least Amazon is seeing the light and is rolling out their new HTML5 player.  Though, oddly, it doesn't include support for Firefox.  ???

So, hopefully, that won't take too long, otherwise people will suddenly find themselves unable to watch videos on certain sites using Linux.  Though, this is typical of Adobe in the past few years and their odd sudden reversal supporting Linux.  I wonder what bug crawled up their butts.  (I already loathed that company,  now I do even more)

Offline darthlukan

• Trusted User
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 11:17:42 am »
So far as Software Development goes with content creators and distributors, Flash is effectively dead. There are very few (in the grand scheme of things) firms writing anything in Flash or ActionScript anymore and anyone still using it has already hired a team to build HTML5 players. The last few major holdouts are pushing for DRM controls and formats to be added to the HTML5 spec.

The only issue we're actually having here is that browser maintainers are deprecating features faster than content creators and distributors can keep up, so there's a disconnect between finished HTML5 solutions and the dropping of Flash and 32bit support for widely used products. The market will catch up soon though.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 12:35:05 am »
The same message now appears on Windows XP and Windows Vista systems. I told the users to ditch Chrome and replace it by Firefox.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline wkLeon

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 05:11:39 pm »
At least pepperflash is a separate install, from Chrome, in later versions of Ubuntu, so all we need to do is wait for Peppermint to update to a 16.04-LTS based version, enable the parter repository and install adobe-flashplugin https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash