Author Topic: Google Chrome 32-bit no longer to receive support!  (Read 3114 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Google Chrome 32-bit no longer to receive support!
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:10:16 am »
This is out of curiosity.  Has anyone else running Google Chrome 32-bit on Peppermint Six 32-bit been receiving notifications that support will stop in March 2016? 

According to the Google Chrome site, this should only affect Ubuntu 12.04 based distros.  In other words, Peppermint Three.  Has the support plan changed, or is this just Google throwing out blanket notifications?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Google Chrome 32-bit no longer to receive support!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:44:32 am »
I can't see how it could only affect 12.04 .. 32bit Chrome is 32bit Chrome, they're either going to support it or they're not  :-\
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:15 am »
Come to the 64-bit side.  You know you want to. >:D

I can't see how it could only affect 12.04 .. 32bit Chrome is 32bit Chrome, they're either going to support it or they're not  :-\

I don't see how either.  As far as I know, the Chrome updates all come from a single repository maintained by Google.  There's not a separation by distro or release.  The only separation I know of is between .deb and .rpm, for obvious reasons.  As far as I know, there's no way for the repository to know you're running 12.04, or something based off of it, and stop updating only that release's repository.  Therefore, I know of no way they could stop issuing updates for *only* Ubuntu 12.04 based distros.  It has to be a "We're no longer offering 32-bit support, period." thing.  Though, I may be wrong about how things work.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:31:26 pm »
Forget it, I answered this question for someone else sometime ago.  It's just me having a brain fart  :-[.  The solution is easy, Chromium Browser will still receive 32-bit support.  I'll just swap back and remember to manually update PepperFlash when it's needed. 

scifidude79, my Fujitsu Siemens laptop is 64-bit.  Google Chrome works a treat on it too  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 04:40:19 pm »
There's always Firefox :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:34:44 am »
There's always Firefox :)
That's true and now SSBs work with it, there's no reason not to use it.  Using Google Chrome/Chromium Browser has become a force of habit.  I always used to use Firefox.  I'll swap all my existing SSBs over to it.  Good idea, you've sold me it  ;).

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:21:03 am »
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 06:59:12 am »
Okay then...

Recent versions of Chromium (like Chrome) dropped support for NPAPI plugins (only supporting sandboxed PPAPI plugins) .. so recent versions of Chromium ONLY support pepperflash (not the Adobe flashplayer which is NPAPI).

For licensing reasons pepperflash is ONLY distributed with Chrome .. to use it with Chromium the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package actually downloads Chrome in the background, rips out the pepperflash plugin and applies it to Chromium (then deletes Chrome).

So if Google are dropping 32bit Chrome .. there will be no way to acquire 32bit pepperflash (as it won't exist), and Chromium still won't support the NPAPI  flashplayer from Adobe.

So it looks like there will be a 32bit chromium, but it won't have a flashplayer.......

Looks like we may need to switch to Firefox for Peppermint 7
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:06:16 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:12 am »
Okay then...

Recent versions of Chromium (like Chrome) dropped support for NPAPI plugins (only supporting sandboxed PPAPI plugins) .. so recent versions of Chromium ONLY support pepperflash (not the Adobe flashplayer which is NPAPI).

For licensing reasons pepperflash is ONLY distributed with Chrome .. to use it with Chromium the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package actually downloads Chrome in the background, rips out the pepperflash plugin and applies it to Chromium (then deletes Chrome).

So if Google are dropping 32bit Chrome .. there will be no way to acquire 32bit pepperflash (as it won't exist), and Chromium still won't support the NPAPI  flashplayer from Adobe.

So it looks like there will be a 32bit chromium, but it won't have a flashplayer.......

It's certainly looking that way for 32-bit.  Not that it's going to affect me.  My little Acer Aspire One A110 died last night.  I thought it was a the dodgy BIOS issue but alas, no.  The repair process wouldn't flash the new BIOS across.  I tried with several different thumb drives too.  It just wasn't having any of it.  I guess the motherboard died - oh well  :'(.   

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 09:56:57 am »
The ironic thing is, Google has worked so hard to get a lot of former IE and Firefox users over to Chrome, but boneheaded moves like this will only send them back.  Good move, Google.  (idiots)  The other thing is, this is the kind of move I'd expect from Microsoft.  They've been trying to force 64-bit on people for years, even though not everybody wants to use it.  Now, it appears that Google is doing the same.  They're essentially forcing people to run 64-bit operating systems to run their browser, as 64-bit software won't run on a 32-bit OS.  What happened to good old freedom of choice?

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 01:01:05 pm »

That wouldn't make any difference, or only for a short while, as Adobe will discontinue support for Flash 11.2 in 2017.

All we can do is hope for a Flash-free future and let HTML5 take its place.

Hans
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:10 pm »

That wouldn't make any difference, or only for a short while, as Adobe will discontinue support for Flash 11.2 in 2017.

Hans
Amen to that  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »

Hans

Pepperflash is built from Adobe flashplayer (Google have to licence it from Adobe) .. so if Adobe flashplayer disappears, NO browser will support flash .. which is fine by me :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:16:08 pm »
Um, discontinued support for Flash 11.2 in 2017 doesn't mean an end to Flash.  It just means the version currently supported for Linux won't be anymore.  The latest version still receiving and that they will still support for Windows is Flash 20. Therefore, don't look for anything to change as far as sites still using Flash, as they don't care about Linux, other than Android.  And, Flash has already been killed on Android with little or no effect.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:18:37 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline darthlukan

• Trusted User
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 05:16:47 am »
Um, discontinued support for Flash 11.2 in 2017 doesn't mean an end to Flash.  It just means the version currently supported for Linux won't be anymore.  The latest version still receiving and that they will still support for Windows is Flash 20. Therefore, don't look for anything to change as far as sites still using Flash, as they don't care about Linux, other than Android.  And, Flash has already been killed on Android with little or no effect.

Flash is being phased out by every major company except Adobe in favor of HTML5. It's just a matter of (not much more) time.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github