Choose style:

Author Topic: setting up wifi on dell mini  (Read 1190 times)

Offline copodd

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 6
setting up wifi on dell mini
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:42:21 pm »
Hello everyone, I am Dave. I am new to the whole  peppermint / linux os. Also new to coding. Anyway having issues setting up wifi on my dell mini 1010. Can anyone assist me.  Thanks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: setting up wifi on dell mini
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:35 am »
Hi copodd , welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's good to have you join us  ;).  You're having some WiFi issues?  Let first get you all updated and synced.  Have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so. 

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.   Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  With your ethernet cable connected, enter the following commands into the terminal window.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

Code: [Select]
apt update && apt upgrade
Hit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the instructions presented in the terminal window.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgrade
Hit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the instructions presented in the terminal window.

After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because it's highly likely there will be kernel upgrades.  Unplug your ethernet cable. 

Has your Wifi kicked in?  If it hasn't, please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the terminal window and hit enter:
inxi -F
This command will generate details about your machine.  Post the output back to the forum.  Please remember to encapsulate terminal outputs with the Insert, Code # function.  For extra long outputs, please use the Spoiler, Sp function.  It preserves the original format of the output.  This makes it easier for future visitors to relate to their own issues.  These functions are found in the forum editor, above the,  :-[ Embarrassed and  the :'( Cry emoticon respectively  ;).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:27:34 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: setting up wifi on dell mini
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:17 am »
Does the cabled connection work ?

If so, open a terminal and post the output from:
lspci -vnn | grep -i net
and
sudo lshw -C network
Actually we'll need that output anyway, so if you have no cabled connection you'll need to copy the output to a text file, then post the output from another PC.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec