Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases  (Read 10454 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: New Purchases
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 04:57:01 pm »
I'm impressed, VinDSL --that's a nice little portable computer. ;)

My concern, VinDSL, is with it being 32-bit.  Isn't Ubuntu, and therefore Peppermint, moving away from 32-bit?  Aren't we all moving into a 64-bit world?

Dell Latitudes rawk !

I picked that randomly, as an example.  It's a 64-bit notebook, but they're tossing in winders 7 pro 32-bit for *free* - that's all.

The larger point is, unless you're on a budget, e.g. buying it on someone else's dime, I can't see spending 3x the amount on a new machine.   ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »
Thanks, VinDSL.

The larger point is, unless you're on a budget, e.g. buying it on someone else's dime, I can't see spending 3x the amount on a new machine.   ;)

No, I can't either. ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 05:26:47 pm »
I've bought refurbs online from these folks before:   http://arrowdirect.com/

So Fleabay doesn't seem to be working properly, almost every input I give returns 404. Arrowdirect on the otherhand is quite a handsome site.  :)

I think what's meant is ebay.com

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »
OMG !  There's actually a Fleabay ?!?!?   :o

Guess I'll need to quit using that nick ...   8)

Epic !!!

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »
OMG !  There's actually a Fleabay ?!?!?   :o

Guess I'll need to quit using that nick ...   8)

Epic !!!
Oh! You meant eBay!  :D That's great.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 10:24:37 am »

Dell Latitudes rawk !

I picked that randomly, as an example.  It's a 64-bit notebook, but they're tossing in winders 7 pro 32-bit for *free* - that's all.

Another Dell I found today is called the Dell XPS w/ a 13.3 inch screen and an 128 GB SSD, but boy are they ridiculously overpriced (around $1,100-$1,400 at Staples)  But they are perfectly sized (and very lightweight too) for traveling and going about your business. ;)

I was positioned to win the Toshiba Chromebook last night, but, at the end of the auction. I didn't click to buy.  There are as many things I don't like about Chromebooks as I do like about a Chromebooks.  I believe that's why I pulled the plug at the end.  I'd like the ability fo boot from a flash drive, and I don't like all the work it takes just to set up and run Ubuntu .  Right off the bat, those are two things I don't like about Chromebooks. 

I guess it's safe to say that I'm still in the market --looking! 

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 12:06:32 am »
Give System76 a look. You won't save any money but their laptops work great with all the distros I've tried except the Free Software Foundation endorsed ones that don't look kindly on intel wifi and others that don't allow for proprietary software blobs in the kernel.

https://system76.com/

I own a 2012 Lemur Ultra and it's great. The bodies tend to be generic from a Taiwan supplier and they assemble the internal hardware to order. This means it will take about 4+ weeks to receive.

I can tell you that my Lemur Ultra still runs great the only limitation is the Intel graphics and the 720p screen of that model.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 01:11:59 am »
Give System76 a look. You won't save any money but their laptops work great with all the distros I've tried except the Free Software Foundation endorsed ones that don't look kindly on intel wifi and others that don't allow for proprietary software blobs in the kernel.

https://system76.com/

I own a 2012 Lemur Ultra and it's great. The bodies tend to be generic from a Taiwan supplier and they assemble the internal hardware to order. This means it will take about 4+ weeks to receive.

I can tell you that my Lemur Ultra still runs great the only limitation is the Intel graphics and the 720p screen of that model.
Thanks! I'll add it to my list.  ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:16 am »
Another Dell I found today is called the Dell XPS w/ a 13.3 inch screen [...]

I'd love to own a Dell XPS. 

12"-13" laptops/notebooks have always been my favorite display size - but they're usually hideously expensive.  I never have figured out exactly why that is.

I *guess* it's because they're made for a niche market - mostly high-end business class users and software developers...   :-\

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:40 am »
Dell Latitudes rawk !I

Here's a Dell Latitude source.  They're 32-bit and w/o webcams, but the seller stands solidly behind his products.  He believes these Dell Latitudes are some of the best computers on the market.

http://stores.ebay.com/KYMAN1530/_i.html?LH_SaleItems=1&_armrs=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=30&_sasi=1&_sop=1&_vc=1

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:49 am »
What makes you say they're 32bit ?

They may only have 32bit Windows/Linux installed, but it's been many years since anyone made a 32bit only CPU (a few netbook atom processors aside).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:34:07 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 08:51:43 am »
What makes you say they're 32bit ?

They may only have 32bit Windows/Linux installed, but it's been years since anyone made a 32bit only CPU (a few netbook atom processors aside).

The one I inquired about was 32-bit, thats why he bumped it up fro 2 to 3 GBs of memory.  I wrote him.   He also speeds them up with the SSDs.  I know he has some 64-bit Latitudes too.  He'll even install Ubuntu on those Latitudes that he's selling with Windows --if the purchaser would prefer that.  Of course, we'd be putting Peppermint on of these computers anyway.  But it's nice to see a fellow out there selling Dell Latitudes with Ubuntu pre-installed.  He backs his products up for 3 years too.  I'm certain he's selling solid products if he's willing to do that.

As you know, PCNetSpec, I'm back on my Opera browser kick, and, to the best of my knowledge, the new Opera browser is still only 64-bit.  I even said "No" last night to a $140 mint condition Toshiba Chromebook 2 --because it wouldn't be Peppermint friendly.

I wouldn't mind having one of those Dell 13" XPSes either, but, as VinDSL says, they are "hideously expensive."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:55:03 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:18 am »
I'd be pretty confident he's just talking about the pre-installed OS but they should be okay for you to remove the 32bit OS and install 64bit instead .. as I said, nobody's made laptop/desktop CPU's without 64it support for many years.

All the ones I looked at from your link stated core2duo or "i" series CPU's .. ALL "core"and "i" series processors are 64bit, so can run either 32 or 64bit OS's.

I even said "No" last night to a $140 mint condition Toshiba Chromebook 2 --because it wouldn't be Peppermint friendly.

Everything I'm reading on the web suggests you can install Ubuntu on the Toshiba Chromebook 2, so  why not Peppermint ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:13:23 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:46 am »

I even said "No" last night to a $140 mint condition Toshiba Chromebook 2 --because it wouldn't be Peppermint friendly.

Everything I'm reading on the web suggests you can install Ubuntu on the Toshiba Chromebook 2, so  why not Peppermint

I've tried and used ChrUbuntu on what was then my, but is now my wife's, Acer C720 Chromebook.  The whole process is set up with a list of Ubuntu flavors you can choose from.  There are no derivatives on that list.  Unity works the best, but the other Ubuntu flavors are functional.  lend27, was somehow able to put Peppermint on a Acer C720 Chromebook, but lend27's technical prowess is way above my pay grade.

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2173.msg21083.html#msg21083

PCNetSpec, I really don't know how this process would work on a Toshiba 2 Chromebook.  I'd love to be able to remove Chrome OS altogether, and just run Peppermint on one.  By the way, you can't even boot up a flash drive on a Chromebook.  That's how user-unfriendly a Chromebook can be.  And, this is why I'm thinking of buying a small Windows laptop.  I want to remove Windows, and then replace it with Peppermint.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:43 am »
perknh,

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude 3340 with an i3 processor, 8gb ram and a 128 gb SSD for just under $300 not including tax from the Dell Business Outlet site (Shipping is free) with a one year warranty.  It is just like brand new and really is a very nice machine.  You might want to consider that.   :)