Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases  (Read 9938 times)

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7
New Purchases
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:46:08 pm »
In the next few years I'm going to require a new laptop, and have decided PeppermintOS will continue to suit my needs. This will be a pure PMOS machine (as my gaming-dedicated desktop has Windows) so I have been looking for a service that sells laptops without an OS. This should take around $100 off the price in theory, but my trouble comes in finding such a service.

My question to you, my friends, is where do you purchase your hardware? Do you have any reputable sites that you refuse to stray from? Are Ebay-like deals the best to look for an OS-less laptop?

BTC Donations: 1rAZZNAkKp3GS4uc15YsbSxSPnFbfErt6

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: New Purchases
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:58:41 am »
Are Ebay-like deals the best to look for an OS-less laptop?

I routinely buy my laptops on Fleabay, not only without an OS, but preferably without a drive - then, take them apart and retro-fit them with the parts I want.  Dells are great for this sort of thing, and NIB OEM parts go for pennies on the wholesale dollar, too.

The business laptop that I lug around retailed for $4000-ish when new.  I bought it on Fleabay for around $200.  After I preformed the mods - dual batteries, SSD, 4GB RAM, Peppermint OS, et cetera, I probably have less than $400 invested in it.  It's built like a tank (MIL-STD-810G), flies like the wind, and lasts all day on a charge.

Just be sure to take your time, do your research, and pick a reputable seller, before pulling the trigger.

Happy hunting...  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:12:12 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:04:33 am »
Fleabay is a new resource for me! Thanks!  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:56:32 am »
so I have been looking for a service that sells laptops without an OS. This should take around $100 off the price in theory

Well you'd think so wouldn't you .. problem is the stores seem to charge the same with or without Windows, just increasing their profit margins on the non-Windows machines ::)

There used to be a scheme where you could get the money back for the Windows installation if you refused to accept the license conditions (EULA) that were presented when you first turned on the PC, this was stated in the Windows EULA .. dunno if this still applies, nor do I know if it was just a European thing.

I gather the EULA no longer states you can claim back for Windows, it now states

By accepting this agreement or using the software, you agree to all of these terms and consent to the transmission of certain information during activation and for Internet-based features of the software. If you do not accept and comply with these terms, you may not use the software or features.
Instead, you may contact the manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy and return the software or computer for a refund or credit under that policy. You must comply with that policy, which might require you to return the software with the entire computer on which the software is installed for a refund.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10837-windows-8-eula.html#post129482

That said, I doubt the manufacturer will want the whole PC returned, so you may get something out of them...

Obviously the above ONLY applies to new PC's .. once you accept the EUAL you cannot change your mind.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows#License_refund_policy

This is old, but amusing
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7040
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:02:44 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 08:20:47 am »
In South Africa a laptop without Windows preinstalled cost more than a laptop with Windows.

Go figure.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 08:35:13 am »
In South Africa a laptop without Windows preinstalled cost more than a laptop with Windows.

Go figure.

Hi 10i,

My guess is that M$ is paying subsidies to keep the price down and encourage purchases.  >:(

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 09:00:37 am »
My guess is that M$ is paying subsidies to keep the price down and encourage purchases.  >:(

Sorry Slim, but I seriously doubt Microsoft would subsidise the hardware manufacturers at their own cost.

It's simply the shops are charging you for REMOVING Windows from PC's that came with it pre-installed.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 09:04:54 am »
If I'm not mistaken most PC/Laptop manufacturers such as Dell offset the cost of the Windows license by installing crapware like Norton or Mcafee or even a 30 day trial of MS Office etc so it makes no difference cost wise to the consumer whether it comes with Windows preinstalled or not in fact it could be the case that Dell make money preinstalling Windows even if they give it away for free

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14:24 am »
Though true, non of that makes any difference from your standpoint (or the law as based on the Microsoft EULA)  if you refuse to accept the EULA .. you're not going to be able to run the bloatware anyway  ;)

They could theoretically make you send back the whole PC, but they'd then need to re-image the drive, repackage, and re-ship to the next buyer (or offer it at a discount) .. I'd guess this would cost them more than just making you some kind of Windows tax refund offer, but who knows (I've never personally tried it)  :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:22:32 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 12:10:44 pm »
I don't know where the OP is located, or how comfortable he is with buying used electronics on Fleabay, but ...

I've bought refurbs online from these folks before:   http://arrowdirect.com/

They're a real company with real employees in a real building, with a real toll-free number, blah, blah, blah.

I've had a good experience over there.  Just pay close attention to the grading system (product condition). 

Personally, I always filter the results on 'A Grade' cosmetics - but, that's just me.   :)

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 12:59:37 pm »
I don't know where the OP is located, or how comfortable he is with buying used electronics on Fleabay, but ...

They're a real company with real employees in a real building, with a real toll-free number, blah, blah, blah.

I've had a good experience over there.  Just pay close attention to the grading system (product condition). 

Personally, I always filter the results on 'A Grade' cosmetics - but, that's just me.   :)
I'm in the Western United States. I have a healthy amount of frugality and thus will be looking for the best purchase. If it takes watching Fleabay or Arrowdirect for that purchase, it may come down to that.

It seems silly that you wouldn't save money on going with a free OS. Windoze really does have this business(slavery) locked down.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05:05 pm »
I must say I've also now taken to buying refurbs (Argos UK) .. heck you get the same guarantee anyway and they're only PC's either returned with a problem that gets fixed by an authorised agent, or simply online purchases where the've changed their minds and taken advantage of the 30 day cooling off laws that govern "distance selling" in the UK where they have to give you a full refund for ANY reason if you decide you don't want it.

Windoze really does have this business(slavery) locked down.

Agreed, but they're slowly loosing their grip on OEM's .. more and more they're starting to at least offer Linux as an alternative (even if it doesn't currently save you money .. I guess that's fair whilst they get Linux support in place.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:08:47 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:25:41 pm »

So Fleabay doesn't seem to be working properly, almost every input I give returns 404. Arrowdirect on the otherhand is quite a handsome site.  :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 02:18:21 pm »
I must say I've also now taken to buying refurbs (Argos UK) ..

Can't beat refurbs, IMO !

Example:  Let's say I was desperate for a laptop and didn't want to watch Fleabay for a month, hoping to run across a 'killer deal'.  I won't lug around anything with a display bigger than 14".  They won't fit properly on an airplane snack tray, or nestle nicely on your lap, sitting in a concourse.  I don't want ppl looking over my shoulder in meetings, reading what I'm typing.  And, I need something that fits in a hotel room safe, and so forth, and so on.  Intel i5 processors seem to work very nicely, soooo ...

I'd go over to ArrowDirect and buy one of these, and be done with it:  http://arrowdirect.com/dell-latitude-e6430-2-90ghz-intel-core-i5-gen3-320gb-4096mb.html

How can you go wrong ?   A $900 dollar (retail) Grade A Dell Latitude for $297 ...  Hell, I spend more than that per night on hotel rooms, when I'm on the trot.  And, I don't have to worry about scratching my new baby.  Somebody has already done it for me.   LoL  :D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:00:53 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
I'm impressed, VinDSL --that's a nice little portable computer. ;)

My concern, VinDSL, is with it being 32-bit.  Isn't Ubuntu, and therefore Peppermint, moving away from 32-bit?  Aren't we all moving into a 64-bit world?

I'm going to bid for a Toshiba 2 used Chromebook today, but I'm not holding my breath on winning this auction.  Lots of bidders have their eyes on this particular "used" Chromebook.  And, I still have my eyes on a HP 15" HP (the Red Flyer from Walmart), but, you're right, 15" is somewhat of a hassle to tote around.  And, yes, I could see a 15" laptop becoming a real pain in the tuchus traveling on a plane. (Every inch of luggage matters on a plane.)

I, too, am not adverse to purchasing refurbished or used.  I've got burned only once with one refurbished purchase from Walmart online --a Straight Talk Home Phone with extremely poor sound quality, as well as missing a bottom pad or foot.  Fortunately, I found a sympathetic clerk in a brick and mortar store who refunded my money.

Interesting thread!

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum