Choose style:

Author Topic: music manager/player recommendations  (Read 5330 times)

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
music manager/player recommendations
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »
I'm trying to decide on a music manager/player application. Guayadeque, which used to be the Peppermint default, appears to be no longer in development. Same appears to hold true for Clementine. I'd like something that allows me to create and manage playlists (and my audio collection) and also play music from sites such as rdio (and maybe podcasts, too). I also do not want to have to install a bunch of KDE or GNOME libraries, if that can be avoided. (My wife has told me I need to find something akin to MediaMonkey, which she uses in Windows and prefers to iTunes.)

At the moment, I'm looking at quodlibet (current version 3.51 / Peppermint version 3.0.2-3), Tomahawk (current: 0.8.4 / Peppermint: 0.7.0), gMusicBrowser (current: 1.1.15 / Peppermint: 1.1.12) and Audacious (current 3.7.1 / Peppermint 3.4.3-1). Any preferences out of these or any others I should look at? Ideally, I'd like to find one where the Peppermint version is as close to current version of the application as possible. I did notice quite a bit of lag between Peppermint's version of quodlibet and the current version shown on the project's website. I know that distributions usually lag a bit behind the project's most current version (for compatibility reasons and the like), but why so much difference? Thanks in advance for the input.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: music manager/player recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
I'd go with Clementine.

Not sure why you think it's not in active development .. maybe not *fast* development, but the last commit was only 4 hours ago
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine.

Thought don't expect any of them to get updated in the 12.04 repos

Another lighter option might be deadbeef
http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »
I'd go with Clementine.

Not sure why you think it's not in active development .. maybe not *fast* development, but the last commit was only 4 hours ago
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine.

Thought don't expect any of them to get updated in the 12.04 repos

Another lighter option might be deadbeef
http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/
Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but the website I went to (https://www.clementine-player.org/) showed the last version from 2013. And the version in the Peppermint repositories appears to be even older. Deadbeef hasn't updated since August, 2014, and I don't see it in the Peppermint repos. Even though I've used Linux a long time, I'm trying not to install much from outside sources so as not to mess up my Peppermint 6 install. Maybe I'm being too cautious?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 03:18:48 pm »
Like I said, don't expect the software in a 2012 distro's repositories to keep being updated forever .. LTS versions tend to only get updates to things like web browsers and security updates (opting for stability over bleeding edge). If you want the latest software you're going to have no option but to move to a more recent distro/version, or step outside the default repos.

That said .. if the version in the repos does what you want it to, what's the big deal in having the latest version ?

Deadbeef hasn't updated since August, 2014

Again, that doesn't mean it's a dead project .. there's still activity on their code with the last commit being 2 days ago
https://github.com/Alexey-Yakovenko/deadbeef
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:21:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:25 am »
Like I said, don't expect the software in a 2012 distro's repositories to keep being updated forever .. LTS versions tend to only get updates to things like web browsers and security updates (opting for stability over bleeding edge). If you want the latest software you're going to have no option but to move to a more recent distro/version, or step outside the default repos.

That said .. if the version in the repos does what you want it to, what's the big deal in having the latest version ?

Deadbeef hasn't updated since August, 2014

Again, that doesn't mean it's a dead project .. there's still activity on their code with the last commit being 2 days ago
https://github.com/Alexey-Yakovenko/deadbeef
I'm not so much looking to have the latest version, but I would like software that is relatively up to date so that it is likely to keep working as other applications and libraries get updated. (Perhaps that is an irrational concern, but I have had apps break as some of the required libraries got updated to versions no longer compatible.) With regard to Clementine, I went to what was supposed to be the Clementine home page, and I assumed (perhaps in error) it would list the current version rather than only the last LTS version. The same was true with Deadbeef.

Having said all of that, does anyone have experience with any of the four applications I listed? Are any of the options listed thus far (including Clementine and Deadbeef) any better/easier than others when it comes to adding *new* internet radio streams (for instance, Rdio, which is one I occasionally listen to or tunein feeds) or even simply in terms of overall use? I know I could install one and uninstall it if I don't like it, but some of these applications add in a bunch of additional libraries that I would not otherwise need/want, and I'm hoping to avoid a bunch of clutter if at all possible. I have enough clutter in other areas of my life as it is so I'd like to try as much as possible to get it "right" the first time. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:06:19 pm by WaltH »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »
I'm not so much looking to have the latest version, but I would like software that is relatively up to date so that it is likely to keep working as other applications and libraries get updated

They are highly unlikely to update libraries in the default repos that would break other software in the repos, unless of course you're getting libs from other sources.

In fact, using more recent software from OUTSIDE the default repos is MUCH more likely to give you dependency issues with the libs from the repos not being new enough.

I'm still  backing Clementine .. the only reason I'd not recommend Clement would possibly be for sapce reasons on a netbook with say a 4GB SSD where disk space is a premium.
Clementine is IMHO by FAR the best Linux music player/manager ;)

I'll shut up now and maybe some other will respond with their suggestions  :-X

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
I'm not so much looking to have the latest version, but I would like software that is relatively up to date so that it is likely to keep working as other applications and libraries get updated

They are highly unlikely to update libraries in the default repos that would break other software in the repos, unless of course you're getting libs from other sources.

In fact, using more recent software from OUTSIDE the default repos is MUCH more likely to give you dependency issues with the libs from the repos not being new enough.

I'm still  backing Clementine .. the only reason I'd not recommend Clement would possibly be for sapce reasons on a netbook with say a 4GB SSD where disk space is a premium.
Clementine is IMHO by FAR the best Linux music player/manager ;)

I'll shut up now and maybe some other will respond with their suggestions  :-X
I'll take a closer look at Clementine. I don't typically install from outside repos, but I have had things break in other distros, so I guess I'm basing my concern on that. How easy is it to add internet radio feeds to Clementine (feeds that likely aren't already present, such as Rdio or Tunein)?

One other question: is there a reason the Peppermint version of Clementine available in the repos is even older than the latest LTS version shown on the website (1.2.0 vs. 1.2.3)? I don't expect Peppermint to have bleeding-edge software, but I thought it might have current LTS versions of most software. Again, I'm sure there is a reason, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: After doing some additional looking around, it appears that Rdio (which I enjoyed listening to on occasion), filed for bankruptcy and was acquired by Pandora. So I guess being able to use Last.fm (or directly access Spotify) will have to do.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:48:46 pm by WaltH »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 01:28:18 pm »
Hi WaltH, I concur with PCNetSpecClementine knocks the socks off the other music players in its class.  I've been using the PPA version from their website since Peppermint Four.  It just works  ;).  On my little Acer Aspire One with its 8GB SSD, I use DeaDBeeF because it's light and the best in its class; even though it's a bit fiddly to set up.  Again, it just works  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »
As long as you know the stream URL, in Clementine just go to

Playlist > Add New Stream

Whilst in the radio/internet tab

then add your stream URL and give it a name .. done.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:42 am »
Hi WaltH, I concur with PCNetSpecClementine knocks the socks off the other music players in its class.  I've been using the PPA version from their website since Peppermint Four.  It just works  ;).  On my little Acer Aspire One with its 8GB SSD, I use DeaDBeeF because it's light and the best in its class; even though it's a bit fiddly to set up.  Again, it just works  ;).
Okay, I think I'm sold. Which website? Are you talking about version 1.2.3 from clementine-player. org, or is there another site to get it from? Thanks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:12 am »
Okay, I think I'm sold. Which website? Are you talking about version 1.2.3 from clementine-player. org, or is there another site to get it from? Thanks.
I setup the PPA from the official Clementine site.  It's for version 1.2.3: www.clementine-player.org.  Or you can run these commands in the terminal in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
followed by:
apt update && apt install clementine
You can guarantee the PPA is going to be good.  That's it - have fun  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:58:56 am »
I setup the PPA from the official Clementine site.  It's for version 1.2.3: www.clementine-player.org.  Or you can run these commands in the terminal in sequence:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
followed by:
apt update && apt install clementine
You can guarantee the PPA is going to be good.  That's it - have fun  ;).
Okay. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:43 am »
Audacious only needed 8,433 kB of additional space and installed audacious, audacious-plugins, audacious-plugins-data. It's my player of choice.

cmus is a good choice for a terminal based music player for a local library.

Admittedly I use vlc for streams but it will pull a bunch of qt dependencies.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:20:55 am by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
After a few days of contemplation, installing and uninstalling various players, et cetera, I've come to a conclusion ...  ???

I haven't been using any music manager/player in Peppermint, lately.  There are many reasons for this.  I have a couple of 1000 songs on my SoundCloud page, which I can access from any machine on Earth, hence nothing to install.  And, I DJ 24/7 on DubTrack.fm via bots, which I can also access from any machine, hence no maintenance or management involved.  Put another way, I have playlists all over the web.

The only thing I need a 'music manager' for is downloading and playing podcasts.  In other words, I need a 'podcatcher/podcast client''.

Truthfully, there are only a handful of 'music manager/players' that will support podcasts, and most of them are poorly done afterthoughts.

That said, look what I've moved back to ...

I know it ain't pretty (and it never hurts to try new things)  but Guayadeque is still the only 'manager/player' that works for me.   8)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:31 pm »
I'm trying to decide on a music manager/player application. Guayadeque, which used to be the Peppermint default, appears to be no longer in development [...]

I won't bother repeating what Mark said.  He's right about appearances being deceiving.

I don't know, for a fact, if Guayadeque has been orphaned or not, but I *suspect* not ... 

When I went over to the official Guayadeque site, it stated the following:

Guayadeque in Ubuntu Software Center

To install Guayadeque in Ubuntu 10.10 and later, you can now use the Ubuntu software center! (Not recommended!)

The official Guayadeque site suggests downloading it from their SourceForge site instead.  That's the source I used to install Guayadeque.

Here's the version I downloaded/installed from their SourceForge site:

╭─vindsl@Azrun ~  
╰─➤  apt-cache policy guayadeque                                          255 ↵
guayadeque:
  Installed: 0.3.7~saucy-1
  Candidate: 0.3.7~saucy-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.3.7~saucy-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.3.5~ds0-4ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe i386 Packages
╭─vindsl@Azrun ~ 
╰─➤

Judging by the results above, evidently it's version 0.3.7-1 (Last Update: 2014-02-20).  Ubu hasn't updated Guayadeque in universe since version 0.3.5 (gawd only knows how old that is, even though it says 'trusty').

Sometimes, we need to read between the lines.  If you look closely at the project activity on SourceForge, one of the tickets says:

Viktor Dick posted a comment on ticket #140

I have the same problem since the update to 0.3.7-2 (which was built on 30 May 2015),...

My best *guess* is, Guayadeque is still being maintained, but no matter.  Guayadeque 0.3.7-1 seems to be working just fine in Peppermint 6.  As a matter of fact, it works much better than the version I'm using in Ubu 16.04, which I probably installed from the Ubuntu repos, years ago, and the official Guayadeque site warns against using.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper.  Results may vary, depending on what your needs are ...   ;)

EDIT

BTW, I should mention...

The only thing I modified in Guayadeque was the conf file, so it loads and saves my music and podcasts to the partition where my Ubu dev build resides.

No reason to store this stuff all over my drive, in multiple folders, you know ?    ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:40:08 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »