Choose style:

Author Topic: old SSD can't wake from suspend  (Read 2722 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: i3lock/resume problems
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:20 pm »
Is the problem that the SSD doesn't wake from suspend in normal use ? .. or is this only apparent in a Live session from a LiveCD/Live USB ?

I doubt if this'll make a difference but have we tried changing to the xfce4 power manager yet (and made sure "spin down disks" is disabled

Have you also looked for something like "spin down disks" in the BIOS and disabled it .. or switched sleep power state from S3/S4 to S1 or disabled it entirely (again in the BIOS)

What's the make/model of SSD ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:02:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »
Yes, the SSD doesn't wake up from suspend in either scenario. The way I discovered what was happening was in a live session as the computer was useless when booted from the SSD, suspended and then attempting to resume. It seems to be this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/819096

I did try the xfce4 power manager but just did it again, noticing that "spin down disks" was enabled on battery power. I disabled it but it didn't help.

I can't see any of those options in the BIOS at all. Would there be an update that includes them? It's an oldish Acer Aspire V5.

The SSD is a Samsung MZ - TPA0640/0D1.

I tried the suggestion here:
http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SOLVED-M4-CT512M4SSD1-7mm-512Gb-SSD-too-slow-when-laptop-wakes/td-p/102666
All that happened was it hung on "verifying" after typing the password instead of just rejecting it. I then had problems booting it the next time so I've hopefully reversed that change now.

I have tried a newer (and also new) Toshiba 128GB SSD in this machine before and it worked fine (that drive is also in another place now). Does that mean it's probably something to do with the drive's firmware rather than the OS or the BIOS?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:09:34 pm by murraymint »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 02:01:36 pm »
I'd say yes .. I've never had a problem with SSD's in Linux, but you're right google suggests it used to be an issue with some of the older SSD's (including under Windows)  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: old SSD can't wake from suspend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:27 pm »
Tried this SSD again, booted in a USB caddy and it can wake up no problem from suspend that way. The caddy light remains on during suspend. While that's not much use in the netbook, I found it interesting nonetheless.

It seems fairly quick even over USB2. I might end up booting OSes from it on my desktop to try them out.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:59 am »
More good news with this SSD. I had to rejuggle drives in my Dell 760 e8500 desktop after an eSATA cable apparently failed. I copied my Peppermint 6 partitions to the SSD and found that it not only boots rapidly but wakes perfectly from suspend on this system.

In case anyone's ever reading this with the same SSD problem: try it in other contexts, you never know!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
Handy info .. must have been some kind of mutually excluding combination of motherboard / BIOS / and old SSD that just happened to stack up against you.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec