Author Topic: Nightly build - alpha Ubuntu 16.04 lts  (Read 1644 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Nightly build - alpha Ubuntu 16.04 lts
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:06:53 am »
Just had to be done  :)

and it is running extremely well - it bodes well for the future.  Still don't like the generic Ubuntu interface but for an alpha build it is very very good.  Everything I need to use is there and installed with no fuss.  Big thumbs up from me.  Lets see what the updates break along the way to the April 2016 release  8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:20:11 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Nightly build - alpha Ubuntu 16.04 lts
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:04:08 am »
I've been running Ubu dev builds for 6-7 years.  Xenial has been a snooze so far - and, I mean that in a good way.

Generally, I stay away from nightlies.  They're usually stable enough on LTS cycles, but I've been burned too many times by regressions and so forth, running nightlies.  They're kind of slapped together, in my experience.

Xenial has been running very nicely on my ancient iron.  The only thing that bothers me is the trend toward tying more depends together in the packages.  Often, during testing, you'll find that this or that won't work correctly.  It used to be simple to purge packages, downgrade them, and pin an earlier version, but nowadays doing that will strip the system back to bare bones, if you aren't careful.

Anyway, yes, Ubu 16.04 looks very promising.  Can't say the same for 15.10.  Wily gave me the Willies !

I am soooo glad we didn't go that direction in Peppermint 6 ...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:17:28 am by VinDSL »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:58 am »
NEW FEATURES IN UBUNTU 16.04

By Abhishek for It's F.O.S.S.

http://itsfoss.com/features-ubuntu-1604/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_features_in_ubuntu_1604_and_other_linux_stories

The more I look at Deepin DE, the more I see GNOME within it --as I do with Unity.  If you can't customize the top panel, at least put a dock on the bottom*.  I consider Deepin's DE a practical improvement over Unity, but that's just my opinion.  That said, I've never been able to resist trying out a new version of Unity LTS.  Four days to go, and Manjaro's Deepin DE will out of here.  I know I won't be able to resist the temptation of trying out Ubuntu Unity 16.04 --even if it's only to complain about it!  ;D

*  I know that Unity's launcher will be able to be put on the bottom now, but I believe Peppermint (LXDE) has it right by having the option of having an Application Launch Bar in the panel where one can make use of it --top, bottom, left, or right.  Unity's panel has proven itself to be pretty pathetic for a long time now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:19:04 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:32:47 pm »
NEW FEATURES IN UBUNTU 16.04

By Abhishek for It's F.O.S.S.

Wanna see something funny ?

From the article above ...

Good news is that Unity Launcher is no more immovable. Starting Ubuntu 16.04, you can move Unity Launcher to the bottom.

Now, check out the 2nd screenie in this post ...   :D

LINK:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771033&p=10880292#post10880292

Took 'em a while to figure it out, eh what ?

And, no, I didn't 'photoshop' that screenie !

Personally, I didn't like having it on the bottom, but everyone was complaining about the Launcher being pinned to the left side, so I did that to show ppl how ugly it looked at the bottom.   LoL

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »
And fugly it is...

I've never liked the Unity launcher, it always felt and looked like a dockbar that has glitched  ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »
No kidding, VinDSL. (I even have a saved copy of that cube wallpaper which was originally from Linux Lite.)

Are you saying that in 2011 you could put an application launch bar in Unity, and that in 2014 the Unity's launcher could already be moved to the bottom?

That's what it looks like to me!  :-\

Could it be that the biggest changes coming in Unity 16.04 will really be a newer kernel and the elimination of the Software Center?  Is that just about it?  If so, that will not be enough. ???

perknh

P.S.

I like the word "fugly".  It has a ring to it!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:22:25 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:13 pm »
No kidding, VinDSL. (I even have a saved copy of that cube wallpaper which was originally from Linux Lite.)

Are you saying that in 2011 you could put an application launch bar in Unity, and that in 2014 the Unity's launcher could already be moved to the bottom?

Yes !  It was always possible.

It was simply a Compiz hack.  Unity, itself, is just a Compiz hack.  So, I guess you can say it's a hack-of-a-hack.

The problem with hacking code is, every time they update the official version in the repos, you need to implement the hack(s) again.

Many times it isn't worth the effort, except for demonstration purposes, or something that really bugs you ...

Could it be that the biggest changes coming in Unity 16.04 will really be a newer kernel and the elimination of the Software Center?  Is that just about it?  If so, that will not be enough. ???

They've made a LOT of changes.  I wouldn't attempt to quantify it, other than to say it's a very pleasant release IMO.

I never liked the old 'Ubuntu Update Mangler', as some of us called it.  The latest iteration throws a notification , telling you when a reboot is necessary to complete an installation.  Experience teaches us this, and/or it's easy enough to determine from CLI, but  I think new users will greatly appreciate this feature.

Anyway, I think the biggest changes will come down to all the little changes, if that makes sense.   :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »
They've made a LOT of changes.  I wouldn't attempt to quantify it, other than to say it's a very pleasant release IMO....Anyway, I think the biggest changes will come down to all the little changes, if that makes sense.   :)

Yep, it makes sense.  It will soon be going on my computer as my secondary installation.  I hope it will run cooler and faster than it has in the past.  I still have a warm spot in my heart for Ubuntu's Unity DE --since it was the first Linux distribution I ever tried.

Thank you. VinDSL.  I'll be checking it out --muy pronto!  ;)