Author Topic: Ubuntu BSD  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Ubuntu BSD
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:33:31 pm »
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Ubuntu BSD
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »
Very interesting.  I wonder if Wifi works better in it than in FreeBSD.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:49:11 pm »
I saw this a couple of days ago.  I was in a rush for an appointment and completely forgot about it.  Yeah, that's an interesting video.  The installation looks straightforward enough.  I was hoping for a better insight to the bootloader.  Is UbuntuBSD using GRUB2 or Legacy GRUB?  Every BSD I've looked at uses the Legacy GRUB.  I'm curious because I was thinking of adding it to my multi-boot system.  You, know give it a run around the block, kick the tyres etc.  The Linux systems I have installed are all using GRUB2.  I know openSUSE three years ago still used the Legacy GRUB bootloader.  There's a way of dual booting openSUSE with GRUB2 distros.  I was wondering, would this be the same process with BSD based OSs?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:57 pm »
If I remember correctly, last time I tried FreeBSD, (specifically: GhostBSD) getting it to boot using Grub2 in Peppermint was no problem.  I think they fixed Grub2 a while back to where it can finally boot Grub Legacy partitions.

I have a "spare" desktop and part of me wants to try Ubuntu BSD, just to see if it's an improvement over FreeBSD.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:27:37 am »
Hi scifidude79,

I too find that to be a fascinating development. If that "UbuntuBSD part of you" does install and try UbuntuBSD then have him tell the "Peppermint OS part of you" about it and then post a little report here.  ;D I think there are a number of us who would read that with great interest.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Capivara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:58:38 am »

If my recent adventures with GhostBSD count for anything: no. Nice (not great) OS to play with on a computer with a wired connection. As a desktop OS, BSD is still many years behind. Not only WiFi support is sub par, so is support for reading/writing other files systems and video cards. On my systems with NVIDIA GhostBSD / PC-BSD proved to be impossible to install.

As far as I'm concerned BSD is great for building servers. In text mode.  ::)

If you are willing to take the plunge with UbuntuBSD, I'm in too. Let's put our spare systems to good use an pick it apart.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:53:40 am »

If my recent adventures with GhostBSD count for anything: no. Nice (not great) OS to play with on a computer with a wired connection. As a desktop OS, BSD is still many years behind. Not only WiFi support is sub par, so is support for reading/writing other files systems and video cards. On my systems with NVIDIA GhostBSD / PC-BSD proved to be impossible to install.

As far as I'm concerned BSD is great for building servers. In text mode.  ::)

If you are willing to take the plunge with UbuntuBSD, I'm in too. Let's put our spare systems to good use an pick it apart.

Yeah, that sounds like my experience with GhostBSD a while back.  I couldn't get WIFI to work at all.  My adapter was covered by the preinstalled driver and I could get it to turn on, but it wouldn't give me a list of networks to connect to.  I never even made it as far as my Nvidia driver.

Offline Capivara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 12:23:45 am »
I tried to install Ubuntu BSD on two machines. It failed to install on a machine with NVIDIA graphics. It did install on one with ATI/AMD graphics. Installation is text based but works as advertised.

I'm not able to write a decent review, let alone something positive. Ubuntu BSD falls short of even the lowest expectations. For one, it fails to update and returns a string of error messages instead. Logging out or shutting down the computer was not possible because both options were greyed out.  In short: I'm not sure where this is going. It's an early beta, it could well be that my expectations were way to high at this stage.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 01:16:47 am »
I couldn't get a clean install to a thumbdrive.  I tried the USB Image Writer and when that failed, I tried the dd method.  When that also failed to produce a bootable image, I gave up  :(.  Yeah, calling it a Beta is maybe a little optimistic.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.