Choose style:

Author Topic: An HP Flyer Red 15.6" 15-f272wm Laptop PC Running Peppermint  (Read 4635 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
An HP Flyer Red 15.6" 15-f272wm Laptop PC Running Peppermint
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »
Hello Peppermint Forum,

I just helped set this computer up for a friend, but I was very impressed with what I saw with little laptop.  Temperature-wise, it runs very cool.  The downside of this computer is, or course, that it comes with Windows 10. (Which, although it did wrestle me when updating, it did update better than Windows 8 and 8.1 from my one-time experience here.)  First, I realize the answers I receive here would be, at best, educated guesses, and I fully agree to take all risk regarding any possible changes I make to this product and the consequences thereof if I do so.  There, now, my question:  how hard would it most likely be to convert this Windows 10 computer to a nice little computer running Peppermint 6?

I did NOT go into this computer's BIOS yesterday, and I've never tried putting Peppermint on any computer that had not already run Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

Here's the computer:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Flyer-Red-15.6-15-f272wm-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-N3540-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46429958

Thank you,

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
    • Quora
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7
Re: An HP Flyer Red 15.6" 15-f272wm Laptop PC Running Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:37:03 pm »
My Acer Aspire E 15 came from Win10, and besides a minor hiccup (that is believed to be caused by full-disk encryption, which you probably wouldn't do) it's doing great. Does the friend want PM6 in the first place? And would this be a dualboot?
BTC Donations: 1rAZZNAkKp3GS4uc15YsbSxSPnFbfErt6

Offline darthlukan

• Developer
  • Sith
    • View Profile
    • Brian C. Tomlinson dot com
  • Peppermint version(s): DEV
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:06 pm »
Hello Peppermint Forum,

I just helped set this computer up for a friend, but I was very impressed with what I saw with little laptop.  Temperature-wise, it runs very cool.  The downside of this computer is, or course, that it comes with Windows 10. (Which, although it did wrestle me when updating, it did update better than Windows 8 and 8.1 from my one-time experience here.)  First, I realize the answers I receive here would be, at best, educated guesses, and I fully agree to take all risk regarding any possible changes I make to this product and the consequences thereof if I do so.  There, now, my question:  how hard would it most likely be to convert this Windows 10 computer to a nice little computer running Peppermint 6?

I did NOT go into this computer's BIOS yesterday, and I've never tried putting Peppermint on any computer that had not already run Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

Here's the computer:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Flyer-Red-15.6-15-f272wm-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-N3540-Processor-4GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46429958

Thank you,

perknh

Chances are, all you'd have to do is go into UEFI and turn off secureboot and/or set "Legacy Boot" to "On" if the option exists. If it's a regular BIOS system, you shouldn't need to worry about anything. The only possible difficulty is if the WIFI module is a Broadcom, but even then, support for common Broadcom chips is improving. What would be nice is if we could find a more detailed spec sheet for that hardware, then it's just a matter of looking up some of the lesser-known components and checking to see if the Linux kernel supports them natively. If so, then you're good to go, if not, some effort may be needed.
Team Peppermint | GPG: 3694569D | Github

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:20:22 am »
Thank you Razznak and darthlukan,

Does the friend want PM6 in the first place? And would this be a dualboot?

No, this computer would be for me.  I'd prefer not to have Windows on the computer at all.

The only possible difficulty is if the WIFI module is a Broadcom, but even then, support for common Broadcom chips is improving. What would be nice is if we could find a more detailed spec sheet for that hardware, then it's just a matter of looking up some of the lesser-known components and checking to see if the Linux kernel supports them natively. If so, then you're good to go, if not, some effort may be needed.

Yes, the Wi-Fi module would be my most important factor to consider.  I'd want to use this computer when I step out of the house.  Even the cheat sheet that came with this computer didn't have much information on it.

Thank you, Razznak and darthlukan.  I'm  now wondering whether or not this computer would be a smart buy for my purposes.  Yeah, it's Wi-Fi or nothing for this computer. :-\

Thank you.

perknh

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:13:42 am »
Hi perknh

Peppermint 6 64bit OS is 100% UEFI compliant - it installed on my Lenovo windows 10 machine no problem - dual boot is fairly straight forward and you should not have to turn anything off.

Leave windows 10 on it... you never know and as a fall back option at least you have something else to boot to should things go pear shaped in Linux for wotever reason.

My laptop specs can be found here http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1954.msg19027.html#msg19027

Which ever way you go - good luck
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »
Hello,zebedeeboss,

zebedeeboss, I've never tried dual-booting.  I don't know what happens to your hard drive after putting two different formats and two different OSes on your internal hard drive at the same time.  Would it be easy to reformat the entire drive if I wanted to go back to only one OS in the future?  I'll tell you, I'm still hearing very good things about this particular computer.  It's the Windows 10 OS on it that gives me the heebie-jeebies (and its Wi-Fi module), although I do like a little of what I see with it.  For instance, I'm a news junkie, so having its news app show me different stories, with lots of color and flash, does grab my attention.  Also, Skype looks a lot better in Windows 10 than in Linux.  But I wouldn't like having Windows' One Drive on my computer.  And I have no interest in having Cortana whatsoever.  Still, zeedeeboss, I can see the wisdom in what you are saying.  And, say this computer were to eventually make its way to the country of Panama (where I have family members), the school system there only runs on Windows.  Period!  In Panama, dual-booting with both Linux and Windows, if you love Linux but have a child within the school system there, would be a must.

zebedeeboss, thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences here.  I appreciate it. ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:47:27 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:15:51 pm »
how hard would it most likely be to convert this Windows 10 computer to a nice little computer running Peppermint 6?

Probably immensely easy, I have 2 recent HP Pavillion 15's (both UEFI) .. Peppermint 6 64bit flew onto both alongside Win8.1/10 ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:50:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:58 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Did you by chance get to see how the Wi-Fi worked on this computer?  That would be how it would be most likely used within my family. 

Yes, I have to admit it's a nifty little computer.  If I knew that what I was doing in Peppermint wouldn't somehow be crossing a threshold and going directly into Windows 10 One Drive, I be more likely to give this a try.  Or, better yet, if I could get rid of Cortana, and and also get rid of One Drive altogether --well, now we're talking business! :)

I could live with having the latest version of Skype and an easy-on-the-eyes news source!

(I know something's odd about Windows 10.  Since when do I need to have a 32-bit flash drive in order to make a recovery drive for Windows?  What the heck is in that OS that I have absolute no idea about? :-\

Thank you, PCNetSpec. 

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:40 pm »
Both of mine have RealTek RTL8723BE wireless adapters which was the ONLY issue I ran into with the installation .. wireless kept dropping out, but adding:-

options rtl8723be fwlps=0 ips=0

to

/etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

fixed that right up

Looking around the web suggests the model you're talking about has an RTL8188EE wireless, so I can make no promises .. but I've helped other with 8188's so if I had to guess.......

Have you tried simply booting it from a LiveUSB and seeing what works/doesn't ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 05:16:07 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Have you tried simply booting it from a LiveUSB and seeing what works/doesn't ? --PCNetSpec

No, I didn't, but that's a good idea to see how a live Peppermint 6 flash drive would work for me with this model of computer.  That said, I won't be able to try this with the computer that I had worked on.  This computer belongs to the girlfriend of a friend of mine in Europe.  Now, that everything is working perfectly well for her, I'm out of the picture again!

If I buy this computer my understanding is that it would have Broadcom Wi-Fi --which I guess can cause problems too. 

If it has wheels, or if it is Windows, it's going give you problems sooner or later --that's for sure! ;)

Thank you,

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
Not really, Broadcom chipsets are pretty well covered these days .. depending on the actual chip it may require proprietary drivers installing, but Broadcom are pretty good these days at making them available, they're even open sourcing newer drivers and have even been a member of the Linux Foundation since 2011:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2011/01/linux-foundation-announces-broadcom-new-member

The days of Linux struggling with Broadcom wireless chipsets are well and truly behind us ;)

I'd go as far as to say you're less likely to run into difficulties with a Broadcom wireless chip than some of the newer Realtek ones.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec