Author Topic: Trying to install Guitar Pro 6 for Linux  (Read 23829 times)

Offline globetrotterdk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
Re: Trying to install Guitar Pro 6 for Linux
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 02:23:38 am »
If it's some kind of in-built application updater I'd expect it to run into permission issues .. if you're running GP6 as a regular user, how can it update anything outside your home folder ?

I'm NOT at this point saying run GP6 with elevated permissions .. I'll test it and let you know.

If on the other hand the .deb added a repository and is attempting to open the system software updater .. I dunno, but again I'll attempt to figure it out in the demo.

They could always come with a password prompt to do the update at sudo level. The latest from my end is that their response was simply to download a new copy of the package. I pointed out that it would never be a pristine package getting installed as long as they insisted on including gksu in the dependencies.  I pointed out that it would be a simple thing for them to do to remove gksu so that the user avoids having the options of pest and cholera, i.e. group memberships and all sorts of things screwed up by installing gksu, or having to modify the package every time to get the little  bugger not to complain about not having gksu installed. I also pointed out that default Ubuntu systems used sudo. Then we could get back to the problem at hand. That was the 26th. I haven't heard anything from them for ten days. I sent them another message today pointing out that if they wanted me to install a pristine .deb file, removing the gksu dependency was the way to go. Let's see if they reply this time. Rather embarrassing for them as a company when they can't even reply to a serious support issue.  >:( (rant) Well, that is par for the course. - half hearted Linux support at best from the commercial products that do exist (rant finished).

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:19 am »
I haven't heard anything from them for ten days. I sent them another message today pointing out that if they wanted me to install a pristine .deb file, removing the gksu dependency was the way to go. Let's see if they reply this time. Rather embarrassing for them as a company when they can't even reply to a serious support issue.  >:( (rant) Well, that is par for the course. - half hearted Linux support at best from the commercial products that do exist (rant finished).
Linux and 99% of the programs for it are free, and like they say "you get what you pay for"....  I bet if that program was windows based, and you payed big bucks for the program, you would get support for it.... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 06:45:47 am »
He *has* paid for it .. it's a commercial application (including the Linux version)

I also disagree that you get the support you pay for .. ever phoned Microsoft support ? ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:38 am »
well then he should get support for it if he paid for it... Never had to call microshit in my life, so I know nothing about their support... But if it is anything like the support they have online where they answer questions in riddles, I wouldn't even bother wasting my time to call...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 06:57:16 am »
hit --> nail ---> head  ;)

They run you round in circles till you give up.
(all at your expense I might add)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline eFFeeMMe

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »
Hi! Thanks to all of you, I have gotten Guitar Pro 6 to work fine under Ubuntu 14.04. I didn't need to install ia32-libs, rather I installed gcc-multilib as suggested here.

As for the soundbanks, /opt/GuitarPro6/GPBankInstaller wouldn't run until I installed libqtgui4:i386

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 08:32:33 am »
Thanks eFFeeMMe .. I'm sure that'll help someone in 14.04 as ia32-libs is now depreciated, so no longer in the repos :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec