Author Topic: GdkPixbuf Warning [SOLVED]  (Read 2387 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
GdkPixbuf Warning [SOLVED]
« on: December 30, 2015, 03:58:26 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

I got this warning message within the terminal during two installations of Peppermint 6 64-bit yesterday.  I have no idea what it means.

I jotted this much down before I lost the message:

GdkPixbuf-WARNING
Cannot open pixbuf loader file...
This likely means your installation is broken.
Try running the command gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /user/lib/x86_64-linuxgnu/...

That's when I lost the message.  The installation had completed.  I hope this information might give you a clue as to what I was reading.

Personally, from what I can see, everything seems to be working fine, but I figure this warning message in the terminal is worth mentioning.

Thank you.

perknh
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:19:01 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: GdkPixbuf Warning
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:59:59 am »
It's a known bug DURING the installation that has no adverse affects once the installation is completed .. it seems that during the installation it can't find the loaders.cache even though it IS present .. see here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdk-pixbuf/+bug/619003

If you want, you can run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-devthen
sudo suthen
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cachethen
exitbut it's not really necessary
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: GdkPixbuf Warning
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:17:47 am »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I figure if you to went all of that work, I was definitely going to run the commands.

I needed to exit twice --because it was a tiered command structure.

Thank you.

perknh

P.S.

I see that this bug has been around for a while --taking us all the way back to the classic era of Ubuntu! ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:21:05 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline Degsy

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32 Bit
Re: GdkPixbuf Warning [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:22:56 am »
Interestly I noticed that warning too whilst installing Peppermint 6 on my Grandsons laptop, but as I had other problems getting the wifi working, ( sorted now thanks to PCNETSPEC), and it didn't seem to affect anything I ignored it.
I have just installed Peppermint 6 as a dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop and noticed it again, at least now I know what it is!

Degsy

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: GdkPixbuf Warning [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:01:53 pm »
Hi Degsy,

I know after you notice it, you can't not notice it!  The warning is repeated line after line after line.  Thankfully, the warning ends up being a nonissue after the installation has completed. :)

perknh