Choose style:

Author Topic: Problem Ripping DVDs with VLC [SOLVED]  (Read 14054 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Problem Ripping DVDs with VLC [SOLVED]
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:59:39 am »
Good morning everyone, how's it going.  I've decided that it is time to consolidate my DVD collection, (all of which are legally acquired) onto my HDD.  I've tried using several different packages, (S)Mplayer, Xine,  dvd::rip and VLC.  I can't get any of these to play a DVD let alone rip one.  I've deliberately avoided the CLI ones as, the GUI one are already awkward enough.  I've been searching around for solutions.  The advice I found is all in, "VideoSpeak"   ???.  I have no idea what they are talking about.  It  just adds to the confusion.  I use VLC as my default videa player and very nice it is.  I would like to use it as a DVD ripper too; if it possible.  Can anyone tell me how to set it up to rip DVDs/CDs.  Failing that, advice on any uncomplicated alternative software packages.  Bear in mind that my knowledge of DVDs is - "you put them in the machine and hit play".  Any idiot proof advice would be much appreciated.  Many thanks and have a great day  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:10:37 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Problem Ripping DVDs with VLC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:08:32 am »
Hi Andy

VLC is my default video viewer as well but I've never successfully ripped DVD's with it, I use Handbrake for that and it's a breeze, you wont find it in the repos ( I've never understood why) but you can download it here http://handbrake.fr/

Hope this helps

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:29:49 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:48:08 am »
Hi Graeme,  you must be a mind reader.  I found the ppa for the Ubuntu 12.04 version about an hour ago.  I'm testing it as I write.  It looks like a cracking good piece of software.   I just need to test it a bit more.  Its a CPU hungry beast though, that's for sure.  This old girl's maxed out!  That's video.  Video is a complete mystery for me.  Even when I worked for Adobe it baffled me.  I was fine with anything as long as it didn't move.  I still think its witchcraft   ;D.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:50:59 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:33:48 am »
Well good luck with it anyway, I've tried a few transcoders in the past and to be honest, never come across anything as good as Handbrake so long as you're happy with .mkv or .mp4 which is fine for me, it is cpu heavy but isn't every transcoder

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:38 am »
I use DVDFab version 8 but you need a windows machine for that....   it works the best....  one of the reasons I will never switch to linux on my main machine is they won't run my many windows programs like this one, if they did I switch overnight....  ;D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:10:05 am »
I think I can call this one SOLVED.  Handbrake certainly does the job.  Its perfect for what I need.  I guess it isn't in the repositories because of its dubious legality is some countries.  I guess distro developers want to steer clear of controversy.  That and the fact it is not well maintained.  Good enough for me though.  :)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Ripping DVDs with VLC [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »
one of the reasons I will never switch to linux on my main machine is they won't run my many windows programs like this one,

Oddly enough that would be my main reason for NOT using these programs because if these companies that produce Windows software are not prepared to support my OS of choice then they don't get my money

I will only use software that is written to natively run on my operating system (with one exception where I have no alternative) and preferably free as in libre even if it's not as good or as fully featured as some other Windows program and if we all did that maybe these companies would think again about porting their software to Linux

Graeme

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »
...if these companies that produce Windows software are not prepared to support my OS of choice then they don't get my money

Well said!   :)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:20 am »
Personally for audio CD ripping I use (or used to use, as I don't do much ripping these days) Asunder:
http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/

Available in the repo's

Previously I used sound-juicer:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=5642.0
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:12 am »
one of the reasons I will never switch to linux on my main machine is they won't run my many windows programs like this one,

Oddly enough that would be my main reason for NOT using these programs because if these companies that produce Windows software are not prepared to support my OS of choice then they don't get my money
Sorry but I disagree..  I blame the OS not the makers of the program...  The only reason Linux is not more popular then what 1% of the worlds computers, is the fact that they can't run the windows programs everyone is used to using...  If you linux people really want to gain a foothold on the worlds computers and give microsoft a run for their money, then you have to make linux run the windows programs, otherwise nobody is going to switch ever....  When I try to switch people from xp to linux that is the first thing they say, will it run this program and will it run that program, and when I say no it won't run those programs, they say give me vista or give me win 7 instead....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:33 am »
That's pure rubbish in so many ways.

a) 1% .. yeah right  ::)

b) why the hack should Linux attempt to run Windows applications .. and inevitably run them worse than when they're run natively, therefore making Linux look like a second rate Windows ?

c) Do OS X users winge about it not running Windows apps, or do they say it's a better ecosystem for it ?

d) Linux is ALREADY the world dominator in EVERYTHING except the desktop.

e) Windows is DYING .. why try to emulate a dying OS ? .. and BTW, what do you think will be left when Windows is gone.

f) AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh .. if Linux ever becomes Windows, I'm off

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
Everyone has their own opinion, and I personally like linux, but since it don't run windows programs I have no use for it as a daily machine, and run windows on a daily basis... If you want to get the masses like me to switch, that is what it going to have to be done.... Windows has the market share because everyone is hooked on their programs.... I don't care to debate this any longer, I am just stating facts as I see them in the world around me....  My daughter was given linux as her first machine and she hates windows, I asked her why she hasn't turned on her win 7 tower in 4 months she told me she likes linux better......  When I was given my first machine there was no linux at that time, there was microsoft dos and win 3.11 for workgroups...  So I was born and raised in dos and windows....  I said I would never switch from windows and I guess I really mean that, until someone makes my programs in linux format, or they make linux run any windows program....  until that happens My Main Machine will be windows.... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:22 am »
Sorry but I disagree..  I blame the OS not the makers of the program...  The only reason Linux is not more popular then what 1% of the worlds computers, is the fact that they can't run the windows programs everyone is used to using...  If you linux people really want to gain a foothold on the worlds computers and give microsoft a run for their money, then you have to make linux run the windows programs, otherwise nobody is going to switch ever....  When I try to switch people from xp to linux that is the first thing they say, will it run this program and will it run that program, and when I say no it won't run those programs, they say give me vista or give me win 7 instead....

Nooooo. Bogus!

As I am sure that someone with your apparent computer knowledge understands, vendors choose the platform upon which their offerings are built.  You can't blame the OS for that.

MS is not exactly known for releasing source code so that its various programs can be developed for use in Linux.  The OS can't be blamed for that,  either.

There are a myriad of copyright, propriety and other legal issues that come into play, as well.  The OS can't be blamed for that.

Etc, etc, etc. 

I'm not really sure who "you linux people" are or if giving "microsoft a run for their money" is really their goal. 

"They say give me vista or give me win 7 instead."  Their choice, uninformed as it might be, but still their choice.  If "they" would take the time and invest the effort in learning Linux, as they did in learning Windows, I don't believe they would say such things.  But they won't.  You can't blame the OS for that.

"You have to make linux run the windows programs, otherwise nobody is going to switch ever...."
I did. 

But, hey, to each his own.    :D

However, this is not really the place to extol the virtues of Windows.   >:(

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:10:07 am by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:51 am »
So I was born and raised in dos and windows.

I was born and raised on Farleys Rusks but I don't eat them any more :)

Graeme

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:03 am »
Hehehe .. I'll bet that confuses the Americans (?)

I do .. Farleys Rusks and Mild .. Oh Yeah :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec