Choose style:

Author Topic: Shockwave Flash Has Been Crashing In Chromium Browser Today [SOLVED]  (Read 1806 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Hello Peppermint Forum,

My Shockwave Flash Plugin, version 17.0 r0, has crashed several times in my browser today, and I have no idea why.  I finally disabled it for a little peace of mind.  I don't need Flash all that often, but sometimes I find it a necessary tool to have.  I'd like to have it run a little better if possible.  I'd prefer to keep running Chromium browser instead of Chrome, and, from what I've read, it wouldn't make much of a difference concerning Flash if I switched over to Chrome anyway.  I think Chrome and Chromium use the same Flash plugin --although I might be wrong about this. :-\

Might anyone know what is going on with Shockwave Flash in Peppermint's Chromium Browser today, or if there's a way I can possibly reduce the frequency of it crashing?

I've never encountered this problem before.

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

How refreshing to finally have a problem to report within Peppermint. :)   Maybe you've never noticed this before but I hardly ever talk about problems with Peppermint 6.  This is because I hardly ever have any to report!  This little vexation I've experienced this afternoon within Peppermint is making my day!!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:26:32 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Shockwave Flash Has Been Crashing In Chromium Browser Today
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:45:28 am »
Hi perknh,

Sorry to hear about the problems with Shockwave Flash. I cannot help you with that but I can tell you that I am almost 100% sure that the problem is not a PeppermintOS problem -- so your record of hardly ever talking about problems with Peppermint Six remains intact!  ;D

Hope you are having good weather for the holidays.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:10:24 am »
Hi perknh,

Sorry to hear about the problems with Shockwave Flash. I cannot help you with that but I can tell you that I am almost 100% sure that the problem is not a PeppermintOS problem -- so your record of hardly ever talking about problems with Peppermint Six remains intact!  ;D

Hello Slim.Fatz. 

Most likely it's Flash itself that is the problem, isn't it? 

Yes, Peppermint 6 has been the most loyal, user-friendly, and trouble-free distribution I've ever seen. 

Hope you are having good weather for the holidays.

Yes, thank you, Slim.Fatz.  You too!  It can be a dangerous time of year --visibility, driving, falling, hypothermia, etc.  Fortunately for us, the weather here has been dynamite.  First snow will be coming tomorrow, while the temperatures here on Christmas Day were in the vicinity of a record-breaking 17 to 18 degrees Celsius! :)  Currently it's -2 Celsius here.

Thank you, Slim.Fatz.  Have yourself a safe and Happy New Year!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:35:30 am by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:52 am »
Hi perknh,

Yes, I too think the problem is either with Chromium, with Flash Shockwave -- or with both of them!

Strange that until now no one else has reported this problem here in the forum.  :-\ Maybe all have stopped using Flash Shockwave (although I doubt that).

The weather here in the SW corner of Germany has been very mild for the last several weeks. Last week I was hiking in the Alps and sat around in the sun in a T-shirt at about 5,000 ft above sea level!!
 :o

Never did that before on Dec. 22nd.

Best wishes for the New Year, perknh -- above all I wish you a healthy 2016.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »
I have no problems with flash but just noticed there's an update for flashplugin-installer in Software Manager.
Maybe this will resolve the problem?  :-\
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »
Chromium should now be using the pepperflash plugin

run:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
then close and reopen Chromium

Then in Chromium, go to
chrome://plugins/
and it should list

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 20.0.0.228
Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:25:15 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.  That did it! :)

This is what I have now:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 20.0.0.228
Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
Name:   Shockwave Flash
Description:   Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
Version:   20.0.0.228
Location:   /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so
Type:   PPAPI (out-of-process)
    Disable
MIME types:   
MIME type   Description   File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash   Shockwave Flash   
.swf
application/futuresplash   FutureSplash Player   
.spl
Disable   Always allowed to run
[close]

I run updates and dist-upgrades frequently.  I wonder why Chromium hasn't picked up on this. :-\

My version of Chromium browser is Version 47.0.2526.73 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Peppermint 6 (64-bit)

Also, thank you, Slim.Fatz and GNULINUX. ;)

perknh

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:30:14 pm by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Shockwave Flash Has Been Crashing In Chromium Browser Today [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 08:42:49 pm »
I don't think the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package (that would trigger an update) has ever been updated in the Ubuntu repos so you'll have to run the update routine for pepperflash manually for now.

I'll look into the feasibility of pushing pepperflash updates via the peppermint specific PPA .. but there may be licensing issues.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:34:45 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.

To the best of your knowledge, is this one of those occasional cases where a proprietary Chromium-based browser, such as Chrome or Opera for Linux, would NOT have had this problem of having Flash crashing because of a lack of updates?

Is this an example of what you and Andy meant many months ago when you guys both said that things just seem to run smoother when running Chrome instead of running Chromium browser?

perknh

-- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:48:21 pm »
Can't talk for Opera .. dunno how they implement flash.

But Chrome comes with pepperflash built in .. in fact it's the ONLY way to get pepperflash. Google don't release pepperflash as a standalone plugin as they have to license it from Adobe and therefore get you to agree to an end user license agreement (which you have to agree to just to download Chrome).

The pepperflashplugin-nonfree package is just a clever little script that downloads Chrome in the background, rips out the pepperflash plugin, applies it to Chromium, then deletes Chrome.

So in short - Yeah, as far as the pepperflash plugin goes it'll always be up to date in Chrome, but need manually updating for Chromium.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:50:35 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 12:33:35 am »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.

In the future, for the senior citizens who I've introduced to Peppermint, I'm going suggest installing Chrome instead of using our default Chromium browser.  I can usually get people to update their OS (especially in Peppermint 6 where it's very easy to see when you're up-to-date) but, practically speaking, I'm going to find it impossible to get many people to do this one specific update for Chromium browser's PepperFlash plugin.  For the average senior citizen, this just ain't going to happen.  Of that, I am certain.

What a shame too.  This damn Flash plugin issue is true thorn in the side for us using Linux, and a real vulnerability too.  I was three versions behind with my Flash plugin --and I update and dist-upgrade my OS regularly too. ::)

PCNetSpec, thank you so much for this information concerning Flash --even if it comes as a real shocker to me! :o
-- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:41 am »
Hi perknh, this was one to the reasons I swapped to Google Chrome and because I could play Netflix natively.  Chromium Browser is great if you're a StalemaniteGoogle Chrome is basically the same, just without the legwork.  If you install Google Chrome, PCNetSpec wrote up this cool tutorial to convert all Chromium SSB's to Chrome ones: Changing ALL your SSB's to open in Chrome instead of Chromium.  It really saves a lot of time, even if it's just to convert the few SSBs that are present at installation  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 08:03:44 am »
Hello AndyInMokum,

It's funny but I was thinking about Stallman this morning --thinking that this probably the reason why he doesn't allow Chromium into the software repositories of the distributions within the Free Software Foundation, one being Trisquel --the distribution Stallman uses himself.  Adobe Flash is this one little quirky, out-of-the-system's-reach update that breaks a nearly perfect Linux paradigm -- the paradigm of updating and upgrading everything at once!  And this discussion is getting me to wonder how Stallman deals with Flash within the browsers of the distributions of the FSF.  Thinking about this, I realize I really don't have a clue! :-\

Linux's method of updating and upgrading everything at once within Linux is one of several reasons as to why we're so secure online using Linux.  Now Adobe Flash comes along and breaks this wonderful paradigm, and puts us all at needless risk.  Since it's proprietary, Adobe can exert its proprietary power arbitrarily and decide who can, and who cannot, have access to it --which is exactly what Adobe appears to be doing here.  But Adobe is only one of several reasons of why going completely open source will not work for most people.  Skype and LastPass password manager are two software exceptions that keep me from going completely open source.  And I realize others here have to deal with their own personal proprietary nemeses within Linux too!

Now I'm really beginning to wonder --how does Richard Stallman and the FSF deal with Adobe Flash?

Andy, I stayed up late last night and dusted off that link you're sharing with me here.  I recently installed Peppermint to a lifetime friend's "new" refurbished desktop computer. (Added all of the suggestions this forum had to offer her too.)  So yes, I will be changing her computer over to Chrome soon.  I won't let her computer become vulnerable to attack because this ridiculous Flash issue.

Thank you, Andy.

perknh
-- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:26 am »
...Linux's method of updating and upgrading everything at once within Linux is one of several reasons as to why we're so secure online using Linux.  Now Adobe Flash comes along and breaks this wonderful paradigm, and puts us all at needless risk.  Since it's proprietary, Adobe can exert its proprietary power arbitrarily and decide who can, and who cannot, have access to it --which is exactly what Adobe appears to be doing here.  But Adobe is only one of several reasons of why going completely open source will not work for most people.  Skype and LastPass password manager are two software exceptions that keep me from going completely open source.  And I realize others here have to deal with their own personal proprietary nemeses within Linux too!... :- perknh
Yeah, I try to use as much Open source material as possible.  I'm not going to forfeit functionality for some zealot's dream.  I like Skype.  Okay, I'm strong armed into using, Flash.  I need Team ViewerGoogle Chrome is a more convenient option compared to Chromium BrowserGoogle Docs is great.  Any private stuff is encrypted with Crypt Keeper.  I don't feel like I'm a traitor to the cause because I use some proprietary software where it's needed.  I'm all for Open source.  I think the philosophy behind it is enlightened.  Anarchy at its finest: progress by mutual cooperation.   I'm also a realist and can't walk around with my head in the clouds.  I say use proprietary software when you have to and don't feel bad about it either  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
Google Chrome is a more convenient option compared to Chromium BrowserGoogle Docs is great.  Any private stuff is encrypted with Crypt Keeper.  I don't feel like I'm a traitor to the cause because I use some proprietary software where it's needed.  I'm all for Open source.  I think the philosophy behind it is enlightened.  Anarchy at its finest: progress by mutual cooperation.   I'm also a realist and can't walk around with my head in the clouds.  I say use proprietary software when you have to and don't feel bad about it either  ;).

Andy, I don't think anyone can say it any better than that! :)

Thank you,

perknh

-- AndyInMokum