Choose style:

Author Topic: Installation Requires A Password  (Read 17013 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Installation Requires A Password
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:31 am »
/var/log/installer
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »
Sorry for the delay. I now consistently get to the 4th of 7 installation windows. The one which asks to choose a partition. At this point there is only one partition to choose in the pop-up and the [continue] button is greyed out.

Installer logs are here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8V6Xwa02yAAeC0yWjNHUXhSMUk/edit?usp=sharing

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »
What popup ?

You shouldn't be asked to choose any particular "partitions" unless you choose "Something Else" .. is that what you're choosing ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 02:06:42 pm »
I get to the window which asks how I want to install Peppermint. I chose "Alongside Windows", the next screen asks for the size of partition. There is a combo which only gives me a choice of one drive. There is a Quit button and Back button which are enabled. The continue button is disabled. Pressing Quit or Back gives me a pop-up saying that something is running and "do I really want to quit?" No matter how long I wait, the continue button is never enabled.

Before, I never got this far. Before I was not connected to a LAN and always chose to install MP3 decoders. The install would halt here. However, by connecting my laptop to my LAN and not checking the MP3 decoders I consistently get to the partition screen. The error logs I attached are for when I get to the partition screen.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »
I take it you get to a window similar to the one pictured below ?

Where there's only one drive in the drop menu ? .. that's probably because at present there IS only one drive.

You need to drag the partition divider to show how much you want to shrink your windows partition by, therefore allocating it to Peppermint.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 03:17:37 pm »
OK - some progress. I found that installing straight from the Live CD's boot menu does not work. I go past screen 1 (choose language), then whatever I choose on screen 2 (checks for disk space, internet connection, do i want to download updates, install MP3 decoders), the process then goes to the login screen. OK - I choose user "peppermint" and no password, but the process takes me to the Peppermint desktop, from which nothing works.

If I run the Live CD and first run the Peppermint OS from the boot menu, then click the install icon I get screen 1. I found that if on screen 2 I choose to  install MP3 decoders and/or am not connected to the internet, the login screen returns. I choose the user/pass as above and am returned to the Peppermint desktop. The installation process seems to abort and the install icon will not work again.

If I run the Live CD and on screen 2 DO NOT CHOOSE to install MP3 decoders and AM connected to the internet (via a LAN), I get to the next screen (3), which asks whether I want to install Peppermint along side Windows or overwrite Windows. From here I go to screen 4 (which you show above). However, until today the continue button was never enabled and I never saw disk sizes on the two partitions.

I discovered that a previous installation did a partial partition of about 50Mb! I think this is why screen 4 never worked. So I removed this smaller partition using XP and repeated the process. Finally, today I see the disk size according to your screen shot (however the OS names were NOT displayed!?). I choose "install now" and progressed (yay). There was a pop-up saying that this may take a while. I sat with the install for about 20 mins, then went for a coffee. I returned to find the d*** login screen again and when I entered the user/pass I was returned to the desktop and the install has aborted. Why the h*** is there a login/time-out on an install which is so d*** slow and will inevitably bring up the login-prompt and abort the install! Why does it abort the install! (Excuse my frustration, but this about the 20th time I have tried this install!)  Is there a way of disabling the login/time-out?

I tried to reboot the PC from the HD, but it went straight to XP, so I assume the install did not work.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:36:07 am by mac »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 03:22:42 pm »
Try again (from the desktop icon) .. but this time make sure you move the mouse every few minutes during the install.

Mind you, the screensaver kicking in shouldn't drop you back to the desktop  :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 03:36:29 pm »
Hi there,  just a quick thought about the screen saver kicking in.  Try disabling the screen saver before starting the installation process.  After you've booted into the desktop.  Go to menu>Preferences>Screensaver.   In Mode select Disable Screen Saver.   Hopefully that should stopped the screen blanking during the installation.  I hope this helps  :)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 03:38:13 pm »
Hi. I just sat here for 30 mins moving the mouse. I still get the login prompt during the partition creation. I rebooted to XP from the HD and ran DISKPART, but there is no new partition  :-\

Have just seen the new post. Will try and disable the screen saver. One more try before bed!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 03:55:54 pm »
As it seems to be crashing at the partitioning .. it might be better to see if you can use something else to shrink the Windows partition leaving unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.

The Windows partition isn't full is it ? .. ie. it has enough free space to be resized ?

Have you tried (in Windows) defragging Windows and running chkdsk to check the windows partition for errors .. BEFORE running the Peppermint installer (from the live desktop icon. ?
(I'm wondering if the installer is crashing because it's unable to resize the Windows partition for some reason)

[EDIT]

If that still doesn't work .. can you boot to the Peppermint live desktop, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and post the output from these commands:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
and
Code: [Select]
df -h
if the first command prompts for a password .. leave it blank and hit enter.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:01:27 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »
I disabled the screen saver as instructed. Closed and re-opened the Preferences window to double check the setting was saved. It was. Ran the install and still get the login screen after 10 after having started the partition.  :-[

The HD is pretty empty. I uninstalled all apps so I have a bare bones XP using 4Gb of a 30Gb. The disk is also defragged and ironically XP runs really quickly ;-)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »
As I said, why not try using something like Gparted (which is available in the Peppermint live session) to shrink the windows partition leaving free (unpartitioned) space AFTER the Windows partition.

Then try installing .. it should offer to install to the free space.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
I tried Gparted (nice app). Created a free partition. Ran the install from the desktop, which hung on the 2 install page (check disk space, internet connection) etc. Rebooted, ran the live CD, ran install from the desktop. Got to the disk partition screen. The install didn't offer to use the free space. I chose the manual choice, formatted the free space, choose the root device as "/" then proceeded to install. The time-out/login pop-up appeared after a few minutes and returned me back to the OS desktop.  :-\

I have tried to switch this off on the Preference panel, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. This is a real problem when the install is so slow.

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 08:51:46 am »
Hi, an update of sorts.

Background: My original aim was to make Peppermint dual boot alongside XP on an Acer EEE. This is my wife's PC and she didn't want to lose XP, but wanted something quicker for using the web. So before killing the EEE, I started experimenting on my own older Dell Latitude.

As stated in earlier in this thread I was unable to install Peppermint 4, so a few days ago I turned to something lighter - Browser Linux. This install screwed my XP boot and to be honest couldn't be bothered to fix XP. So, I turned to Lubuntu 14 Alternate Install. I did a full install (overwrite everything) as I had already kind-of lost XP and the install worked! I would suggest Peppermint developers take a look at their install. It runs in text mode, so is far quicker than Peppermint as it doesn't need to run a GUI environment, The Peppermint install thinks my laptop is 1024x768. when it is acutally 800x600 (I can fix it with xrandr), where as the Lubuntu install doesn't try to be so clever so early.

Having Lubuntu installed, I returned to Peppermint 4. This time I chose to install it alongside Lubuntu. The install went further than ever before and for the first time I got asked my location. However, the install failed again because it could not build a swap partition. Having got Lubuntu to install with a full (overwrite everything) install I tried this with Peppermint, but again it failed. This time with errors thrown by the GUI of the install, not disk issues. (I got a stack trace which was related event handling of GUI buttons).

The Latitude will now not boot. Does the Peppermint full install (overwrite everything) format the disk? How can I format the disk without an OS? Any suggestions on what to do now?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:36 am »
Seriously .. I'd just go back to Lubuntu (alternative install).

Peppermint don't do a text install version .. or wait for Peppermint five.

Have you tried a Lubuntu 14.04 (standard desktop edition - NOT Alternative install) .. if that'll install, so will Peppermint 5 which is due out soon.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec