Choose style:

Author Topic: Installation Requires A Password  (Read 16788 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Installation Requires A Password
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:17 am »
Hi lafual,  you can also use the small but powerful graphical partitioning tool, GParted. Once you have booted into the live session.  You will find GParted by navigating to menu>System Tools>GParted.  You will be presented with a nice graphical representation of your hard disk(s).  The Windows partitions are normally formatted as NTFS.  Linux partitions with be either Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4.  The most popular one being Ext4.  I really suggest you familiarise yourself with GParted.  It is a really useful and  powerful tool.  Still post the outputs that mac has requested though.  GParted is for your own convenience.  Have a great one  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 08:26:09 am »
(failed because the disk was written as 52X and the PCs disk reader is 24X)
I was in the duplication field many years and I can tell you this, NEVER burn a disc a 52X. If you want high quality you buy 52x discs and never burn them faster then 16x and for an operating system I never bun faster then 8x....  DVD's same thing you buy 16x dvd's and burn at 4x or 6x no faster....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:22:17 pm »
Hi guys,

blkid output

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="DellUtility" UUID="07D3-080E" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda2: UUID="605B-8F52" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sr0: LABEL="Peppermint Four" TYPE="iso9660"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="7028-24C5" TYPE="vfat"
[close]

fdisk output

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3648 cylinders, total 58605120 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb961b961

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              63       96389       48163+  de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2   *       96390    58589054    29246332+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdb: 16.2 GB, 16231956480 bytes
256 heads, 54 sectors/track, 2293 cylinders, total 31703040 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *          32    31703039    15851504    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
[close]

So it seems, I have a segment for Peppermint. What next? Remove the partition and try again with by X1 CD? If so please guide me on whether to remove the partition or just clean its content. I will need to the UNIX command (despite having used UNIX for 25yr) I have never ventured into system admin. So "rm" is the limit of my knowledge here.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »
Would I be right is saying you're booting with a 16GB USB stick inserted ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
The USB was inserted after the boot has finished in order to transfer the output to a PC with internet. (The Latitude has a PCMCIA Wireless Card, which Peppermint doesn't seem to recognise and the cable was too short plug the Lattitude directly into the router)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 05:35:50 am »
OK,

You HAVEN'T installed Peppermint yet.

So if it's the LiveCD that's asking for a password .. there's something wrong with the disk.

Unless of coursed you mean it's asking for a password at this screen during the installation:-

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:20 am »
Hi PcNetSpec,

I have never got the screen displayed in your post. To be clear, I have never successfully installed Peppermint from the live CD. I have attempted the install a number of times.
  • I loaded up the OS from a 52X live CD then chose install and the screen went blank and nothing more.
  • Loaded the OS from 1X live CD then chose to install. Was asked the language, partition size then I had a log in screen.
  • Loaded the OS from 1X live CD then chose to install. Was asked the language and then had a log in screen.

When you say there is a problem with the disk, do you mean the CD or my HD? The CD seems to be fine as I can use Peppermint OS from the live CD without any problem (other than the installation). The HD is fine in that on the other partition is XP, which works.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 10:22:20 am »
Ahh...

I bet whaat's happening is that the screensaver is cutting in .. which leaves you at the login screen

either

a) keep your mouse moving during the installation .. I think the screensaver tiemout is 10 mins by default

or

b) use these login credentials

Username = peppermint
Password = <leave it blank>

Other than that it MUST be a disk (CD) or image (ISO) issue .. just because it runs in live mode doesn't mean the installer isn't corrupt.

I suppose theoretically it could be a RAM problem .. but I doubt it would only manifest in the installer  :-\

Have you checked the MD5 checksum of the ISO image you downloaded ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:38:53 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 04:15:30 pm »
MD5 checksum is correct. I kept moving the mouse as you advised. The login still appeared. Entering user peppermint without a password  brought me back to the desktop with the "install peppermint os" icon in the top left. The CD did carry on for a bit then stopped. There was no alert to say that the installation had finished. When I rebooted from the HD, it went straight to XP.  >:(

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 05:53:06 pm »
OK, something tells me your system is having problems reading the LiveCD.

Is this a laptop or Desktop ?

Have you got another optical drive you can use ? .. or can your system boot from a USB stick ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:45 am »
The PC is a Dell Latitude Laptop (see the beginning of the thread for details). The OS works OK, as far as I can tell, from the Live CD. It is just the installation that fails. I have asked this a number of times, but have never got an answer. My first installation failed and just went to a blank screen. Could having a partial installation on the HD cause the problem? How can I erase the content of the partition and start again?

The laptop's BIOS does not allow a boot from a USB. As suggested earlier in the the thread, I tried PLOP. I was able to get Peppermint's boot menu to appear via a USB1 port on laptop start-up, but after choosing the installation option, nothing happened. I only have USB2 ports on this laptop via a PCMCIA card, and PLOP doesn't seem to like these ports.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 12:51:15 am »
Just because he cd works in live mode doesn't mean the installer or installation data isn't corrupt.

And your earlier attempt didn't create ANY linux partitions on your hard drive .. so NOTHING got installed.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 04:43:51 am »
This is the 3rd CD I have tried (52X, 1X and 8X) and I have MD5 checked them all. Can they all run Live OK, but all fail the install?

I think the disk has been partitioned. This is from the "inxi" output I posted a few days back?

Drives:    HDD Total Size: 46.2GB (24.1% used)
1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N030ATMR04 size: 30.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: Name n/a size: 16.2GB

Until I started this post, I never knew "inxi", I assume this means that the disk is partitioned, and I am 90% sure the partition only appeared after I chose the Peppermint install and chose the partitioning on the peppermint installation menu. (I say 90%, as I inherited this laptop a while back and it may have been partitioned when I received it and I never noticed.)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 05:45:55 am »
OK, let's be sure about this .. can you post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
and
Code: [Select]
sudo blkid

How far does the installer get before crashing/exiting ?

When the installer crashes/exits .. does thee whole system crash or does it leave you at a working desktop ?
(as if it's still running we might be able to check the installer logs to see where things are going wrong)

Are you electing to download updates during the install ? .. have you tried without selecting that ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:36 am »
Hi, I have already posted "fdisk" and "blkid" output on this thread (page 1? I am at work now and don't have the output to hand).

When running the installer, from the desktop after running the Live CD or from the boot menu of the Live CD, I get (a) the language choice (b) the confirmation of disk space and do I agree to install 3rd party MP3 encoders. (c) Only once did I get asked for partitioning. Then the CD works for about 5 mins, then the screen goes black and returns to the desktop with just the "install peppermint os" icon. I have tried with and without 'download updates during install'.

I also manage to get PLOP to understand my PCMCIA USB2. I ran the install from there, but after a few minutes I get a text error saying something along the lines of "no live media" found.

Installer logs definitely seems the way to go. Where can I find them?