Choose style:

Author Topic: Installation Requires A Password  (Read 16476 times)

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
Installation Requires A Password
« on: May 12, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Hi, I am installing v4 from an ISO CD. I have chosen the language and partitioned disk. Next I am prompted with a login screen. At the top is an icon with a blank head with the word Peppermint. Below is a combo with the only choice being "Other...". It requires a password, and below is another combo which only shows the value Peppermint.

Is this right? What is the password? I tried pepprermint. It is a new installation! None of the installation guides say that this will happen.

For your information, I am installing on a Dell Latitude laptop with a display of 800x600, but I think the install thinks the monitor is 1024x768. Maybe something is not being displayed. Any ideas? Googling and searching the forum hasn't revealed anything.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Installation Requires A Password
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:33:28 pm »
No you should not get this screen until after you've finished the installation.

Try selecting the "Peppermint" user and leaving the password field blank.

Of have you already completed the installation ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:27 am »
I had only every run the OS from the CD. This was the first installation to the HD. I got the partitioning page. Chose the default. Confirmed. Then it said, "are you really sure?". At this point I said "No" and went back a couple of steps and with a bit more confidence re-chose the default partition and full confirmed. Maybe going back and forward in the installation tipped the logic into thinking I had finished?

I also noticed that when I run it on this old laptop the wallpaper and peppermint icon are blue, where as when I run it on a new laptop, the screens and peppermint icon are red. I think the old laptop can only render up to 24bit color. Maybe I could be missing something on the screen by having the display running at 1024x768 instead of 800x600 or not rendering correctly in 24bit color?

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:23 am »
Hi lafual,
Welcome to the forum!   ;)

Are you saying that Peppermint 4 is actually installed on your computer's hard drive?  If so, is it operational?  Can you run commands in your terminal?

Do you know anything about your video card, chipset, memory, cpu, etc?  If so, could you share that information?

Are there any numbers beside "Dell Latitude" like Dell Latitude 1200, for example?  If so, what are the numbers? 

Did you download / burn the ISO yourself?  If so, at what speed did you burn and did you check the md5sum? 

What you described is very unusual so the more information you can give the better. 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:05:52 am »
Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I don't have the PC to hand at the moment, but from what I remember, it is a Latitude PP01S. The BIOS (version A9) will give a more accurate description and I can check it when I get home. It has a Pentium3 with 256Mb memory, 20Gb HD and running XP.

I downloaded Peppermint 4 ISO myself, but didn't run the checksum.  I made a USB ISO. I first used Peppermint on a newer Acer EEE laptop, from which could boot from USB in order to get some experience with Peppermint. The Latitudes BIOS is old and won't boot from USB, so I burnt the ISO using Windows7's built in ISO burner.

The first time I booted from the ISO disk on the Lattitude, I got the text start-menu. I immediately chose install. After a few minutes the install complained about a missing library but the CD continued working. After about an hour of a blank screen I assume the install wasn't working and pulled the plug. (So maybe I do have a partial install after all!)

I then tried to run the ISO disk and just see if Pepperming would run from the CD. Again I got the missing library exception. Then I noticed that the CD player on the Latitude is 24x and that my Windows7 PC is probably burning at a fast rate. Windows7's doesn't allow for the speed to change, so I burnt with ISOBurn at 1x.

With the 1x CD I was able to run Peppermint 4. Peppermint thought the resolution was 1024x768, but I was able to adjust it via xrandr.

I then ran the install using the 1X CD. It asked for the language, then about the disk partitioning, then I got the login. I was never asked about my region or keyboard.

And that about as much as I can tell with exception of what I was eating at the time  :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:36:50 am »
Hi lafual and welcome to the forums.  I have an idea that your old Latitude's cpu doesn't support pae. Peppermint OS Four doesn't support non-pae CPUs.  Peppermint OS Three was the last Peppermint release to support non-pae CPUs.  Also, the memory you have available, is really the bare minimum to run Peppermint.  After you boot into your Live session, (if it will allow you to do that).  Could you please run the following commands in the Terminal and post the outputs?  To open the Terminal, press, Ctrl+Alt+t.  Copy and paste into the terminal
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
Press enter. 

Do the same here
less /proc/cpuinfo
Press enter. Pessing q will exit you from cpuinfo. Post the outputs on the forums.  We will now have a better idea of what's going on with your machine and how to further advise you.  Good luck  ;).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:28:43 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 07:53:51 am »
And that about as much as I can tell with exception of what I was eating at the time  :D
Don't tell me....a bologna sandwich  ;D

Wow! That is old.  I believe Andy nailed it squarely on the head, though.  You might want to give Peppermint 3 and try, although, even if you get it up and running, it will be pretty slow.   Maybe something on the order of Puppy Linux or Tiny Core would suit your hardware a bit better. 

System Requirements for both versions three and four.....

The absolute minimum required specs are as follows:

192 MB of RAM
    Processor based on Intel x86 architecture
    At least 2 GB of available disk space

Again, do note that these are the absolute minimum required specs. We strongly recommend having something a little stronger to install on. Our minimum recommended specs are as follows:

512 MB of RAM
    Processor based on Intel x86 architecture
    At least 4 GB of available disk space

Taking it a step further, the preferred minimum specs on a candidate for installation are as follows:

1 GB of RAM
    x86_64 or amd64 compatible processor
    At least 4 GB of disk space

SOURCE

Run the commands Andy suggested and, like he said, we'll then know better how to further advise you.

Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:12 am »
Well if the machine can boot from a cdrom i would suggest making a PLOP boot manager cdrom so you can then boot your USB stick...
The guys above are right about the machine though, if you can add ram to it I would add the ram and run peppermint 3, However if the machine is maxed out at 256 megs of ram, then I suggest you try Antix mx14 and if you don't like the XFCE DE, you can do like I did and change the DE to LXDE in the metapackage installer....
Mine boots up to the desktop using about 55 megs ram this way...  Which should be low enough for a 256 meg machine....  good luck....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:19 pm »
OK I have the inxi and cpuinfo output. I also have a screenshot, because windows like the file manage render good but the terminal is not being drawn properly. Before I post this information, some nubie questions;
(a) how can I redirect the output of inxi to a readable format. I did
inxi -F > /tmp/inxi.txt
but the output is full of escape codes.
(b) how do I attach text and jpegs to this site? I click in the button above and just get some IMG tags.

BTW The laptop's response is OK when running from a CD. It picked up my USB stick fine, in order to copy the outputs to a PC with e-mail.

I will check out PLOP - sounds exciting

Please answer (a) and (b) and i'll post the output. THanks again for all the help !

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »
a) Simply copy and paste your output. To do that, highlight the output, right-click, select copy and then paste to the "Post Reply" window.

b) To post an image you must first host the image somewhere online (dropbox public folder, for example) and then post its public link between the IMG tags:
[img]your_public_link_here[/img]
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 04:45:12 pm »
Hi lafual, how’s it going again?  Firstly, are you booting up the Latitude into a Live Peppermint session?  You need to be able to do this. Once you have the Peppermint desktop open, open the terminal by using the key combination Ctrl+Alt+t.  You must first enter or, copy and paste the following command into the terminal window.:
inxi -F
Press enter.  You should have an output similar to mine.

View example by clicking the spoiler below

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
andy@andy-AMILO-Li3710 ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: andy-AMILO-Li3710 Kernel: 3.8.0-35-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Four
Machine:   System: FUJITSU SIEMENS product: AMILO Li3710 version: 10600987639
           Mobo: FUJITSU SIEMENS model: EF7 version: Rev 1.0 Bios: Phoenix version: 1.09 date: 03/27/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 2166.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.8.0-35-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:23:8b:63:4d:2e
           Card-2: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:22:5f:12:b6:40
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (28.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVX size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 4.7G (25%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 513G used: 194G (40%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.08GB (1%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0C mobo: N/A       
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 224 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1908.9/3871.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
andy@andy-AMILO-Li3710 ~ $
[close]
To copy the output, click and hold the left mouse button.  Drag the mouse to the end of the output and right click the mouse.  Select copy.  Return to Peppermint forum.  In the Peppermint forum editor, left click on the Sp, (spoiler) button.  Use the key combination: Ctrl+v to paste your terminal output inbetween the spoiler brackets.  You can check your progress by clicking on the Preview button, that is located under the post reply window on the right hand side.  Click on the, Spoiler (click here to view) to check your progress. 

Repeat the process for the command:
less /proc/cpuinfo
.  To make it easier, only post the the flags section as shown below:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm
[close]
That's it  for posting the terminal output :).

As mac has said, to post an image you need to use an image hosting site.  I use the free image hosting service, Postimage: http://postimage.org/.  You need to upload the image you want to use to the site,  After the image has uploaded, click on the view codes button under your uploaded image.  Copy the code for link or Direct Link.  In the Peppermint post reply window click on the Insert Hyperlink button.  It is under the italic I.  Check your post by clicking Preview and if you are happy , post the message.  I hope this explains it better for you.  Have a good one and always remember to have fun  ;)!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:20:31 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »
Here you go.

inxi output

System:    Host: peppermint Kernel: 3.8.0-33-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Four
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude LS version: 00h
           Mobo: Quanta model: Latitude LS version: 00h Bios: Quanta version: A09(J3K13) date: 12/07/2000
CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 497.838 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Neomagic NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV]
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: neomagic,vesa Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
Audio:     Card: Neomagic NM2200 [MagicMedia 256AV Audio] driver: snd_nm256 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.8.0-33-generic
Network:   Card: 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] driver: 3c59x
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:b0:d0:51:8f:cf
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 46.2GB (24.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N030ATMR04 size: 30.0GB
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: Name n/a size: 16.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 122M used: 32M (27%) fs: overlayfs
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 127 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 113.5/242.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ ^C
peppermint@peppermint ~ $
[close]

And procinfo

processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 8
model name   : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping   : 3
microcode   : 0x7
cpu MHz      : 497.869
cache size   : 256 KB
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 2
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips   : 995.73
clflush size   : 32
cache_alignment   : 32
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

[close]

Looking at the inxi output, it looks as if the disk was partitioned by the install.

I do have a query about the partitioning screen in the set up. One has a slider to change the size, but nothing indicates where XP is and where Peppermint will go. Which is which?

Thanks again for your interest.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:08 pm »
Wow, it is pae....
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse

Run the following...
sudo blkid
then...
sudo fdisk -l
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »
Wow is the word, when I saw pae in the output, you could have knocked me down with a feather.  We now know its not a pae problem.  I see that you were trying to install from the "start menu".  There are issues doing this.  Try booting into the desktop and use the Peppermint OS Four installer on the desktop. Hopefully that will be smoother for you.  I really want to hear you've got it up and running.  That would be awesome.  Good luck  ;)!!

Offline lafual

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:26 am »
Hi,

I have tried running the installation from the Peppermint desktop after booting the OS from a CD. It still goes "Choose Language" -> "Login". It now skips the partitioning. I looks from the "inxi" info I gave you that the partition has been done. I will run "fdisk" when I get home.

I am beginning to wonder if the first failed install on this PC (failed because the disk was written as 52X and the PCs disk reader is 24X) did a partial install. Maybe cleaning the content of the partition or removing the partition would fix it? I would need instructions on this. "rm -rf /" is limit of my cleaning knowledge on UNIX and I guess that is not permissible on some flavors of UNIX

Reiterating a previous question; when one comes to partition the disk. The default is in the Peppermint install is 50/50, but you can use a slider to adjust. However, the screen doesn't explain which partition is for Peppermint and which is for the existing OS (XP in my case).