Choose style:

Author Topic: Broken or strange Peppermint 5 installation  (Read 9793 times)

Offline harriskev

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 5
Re: Broken or strange Peppermint 5 installation
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 10:57:06 pm »
Greetings all. My acct got deleted so I made a new one. I'm happy to report my display problem was miraculous fixed- switched main source and it suddenly did 20 kernel updates, and wham everything displayed fine- all icons, all programs, photos, etc. It was strange cause it ISN'T  using the line I put in startup to force it to use SIS driver (in fact it says on boot up "FATAL ERROR-Can't Load SIS sriver- is there another driver present?", but whatever the latest kernels use, it all works. i'm up to 3.13.0-107 but there is also 3.19.0  .and a 4.2.0 possible. How much extra stuff (MB) do I have to install to move up to one of these versions, cause space is brutally limited??

I've got another question- I installed the new 64 bit AMD Skype Alpha (~160MB), which all worked but I'm getting the dam UNLOCK DEFAULT KEYRING error, which if I recall wanted and Older password. I've tried 3 back with no luck, but there was a way to defeat that warning. It does seem to all work- real 64 bit Skype was a longtime peeve among many. Thanks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:13 am »
Greetings all. My acct got deleted so I made a new one. I'm happy to report my display problem was miraculous fixed- switched main source and it suddenly did 20 kernel updates, and wham everything displayed fine- all icons, all programs, photos, etc. It was strange cause it ISN'T  using the line I put in startup to force it to use SIS driver (in fact it says on boot up "FATAL ERROR-Can't Load SIS sriver- is there another driver present?", but whatever the latest kernels use, it all works. i'm up to 3.13.0-107 but there is also 3.19.0  .and a 4.2.0 possible. How much extra stuff (MB) do I have to install to move up to one of these versions, cause space is brutally limited??

I've got another question- I installed the new 64 bit AMD Skype Alpha (~160MB), which all worked but I'm getting the dam UNLOCK DEFAULT KEYRING error, which if I recall wanted and Older password. I've tried 3 back with no luck, but there was a way to defeat that warning. It does seem to all work- real 64 bit Skype was a longtime peeve among many. Thanks.

I'm not understanding why you're getting 20 kernel updates  :-\.  The updater should only give you the latest kernel.  What's the output from:
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep linux-image
For practical purposes, you only need to keep the newest kernel and the last working kernel as your backup.  If you've 20 kernels on your machine, 18 of them are redundant and hogging space  :o.

Try this to fix the keyring issue.  Run the following commands in sequence in a terminal window:
mv ~/.local/share/keyrings ~/.local/share/keyrings-old
Followed by:
mkdir ~/.local/share/keyrings
When you're asked to unlock the keyring again, leave it blank and click Ok.  it'll pop up warnings and complain, ignore these.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline harriskev

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 11:12:05 am »
I only have only one kernel, but I had a bad source and wasn't getting it updated for months; didn't know what was wrong; when I switched the source to MAIN (S. Africa?) it jumped from -78 to -99.

I may be stupid, but you are moving the new keyring onto the old, which then deletes the new one; or you combining them so they are all in one place? What if you moved the old onto the new-  would that combine them all in the same place and solve all problems? And then you remake a clean new one? Which has no password, so can't block anything?  Is that defeating my main password or any password protection?? I really don't want warnings- just want to fix it, specifically for Skype. Is there a way to do that? Why is a new installation enamored of an obsolete password anyway. The one existent when Skype was first installed? Never for this OS, I think.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:57 am »
That's just backing up your keyrings in case something goes wrong.

The new Skype is asking for its own password, nothing to do with anything you may have used in the past. If you press Enter it will be a blank password, which is not really putting you at any greater risk, although you can make up a password for it if you really want to type it each time. It's got nothing to do with your Skype login password. Does that make sense?

Offline harriskev

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2017, 11:39:32 pm »
Sure the Skype has it's own password. Well if I close the warning the Skype loads, and loads contacts, but doesn't seem to be able to connect to anyone. Does that default keyring warning block anything from working??  Will that backup procedure give me warning on many programs??

re: KERNALS  i'm up to 3.13.0-107 but there is also 3.19.0  .and a 4.2.0 possible. How much extra stuff (MB) do I have to install to move up to one of these versions, cause space is brutally limited?? The main moderator gave me a whole pile of libraries and stuff to install for 3.19- I would like to try 4.2-  know what else I'd have to install for that, and how much space it might take.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:44:15 pm by harriskev »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 08:21:10 am »
I'd really recommend installing Peppermint 7 instead, although I know that doesn't address your questions directly. Most people here won't be running Peppermint 5 so it's not easy to test for, eg, compatibility with the new Skype.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:00 am »
a) Skype - With Skype closed, do what AndyInMokum suggested here:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2841.msg49229.html#msg49229
to rename the keyring folder .. then when you next run Skype it will prompt for a NEW keyring password .. LEAVE IT BANK, or whatever you enter will need to be entered every time you want to use Skype.

BTW, the "keyring" password is NOT the same thing as your Skype password unless you choose to make it the same.

b) In Peppermint 5 stick to the default 3.13 kernel series .. it is an LTS kernel and the ONLY kernel series still fully supported for "trusty" and therefore Peppermint 5.

c) If you want/need a more recent kernel (and that begs the question why? .. is something not working that is supported by a newer kernel series?), I'm with murraymint .. by far your best bet would be to move to Peppermint 7.

The other option would be to use the LTS Enablement Stack .. but I'd strongly advise Peppermint 7 as the better route.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:49:00 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harriskev

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »
Thanks. Oh, once you do it once you won't get any more warnings?   Actually a few days ago Skype had a new Alpha update and that all works fine if you just close the keyring warning.  Except it doesn't let you call real telephone numbers only online Skype people. 

OK I'll settle for that kernel, if it's got better support. Do you see anything on Pep 7 in that etc/display?? file about disabling SiS video chips? What else is radical or new enough about it that wouldn't work with a 10 year old junker.