Choose style:

Author Topic: Broken or strange Peppermint 5 installation  (Read 9803 times)

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 5
Broken or strange Peppermint 5 installation
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:48:52 pm »
Hi all, I installed 64 bit AMD Peppermint 5 on an old ACER  in a small partition w XP on C, with LAN Internet connected and “download updates” checked, and it seemed to go OK, except for a notice that I didn't have pixbuf and my installation was “likely broken”, but it reached the end saying: no errors. After, I did install pixbuf in the terminal- 76Mb more. I rebooted, did the update, upgrade, program installation (FF, VLC, LibreOffice, Thunderbird  ..all in the Terminal; Skype didn't work) , extras. When I did the reboot, everything seemed to be displaying OK. I did update, upgrade again in Terminal, and installed some more programs. Then after another reboot, I did the standard SOFTWARE UPDATER program and was surprised that it had dozens of security updates and new Linux kernel- huge gap from 0-29 to 0-71??

After that + reboot (I think) everything went screwy. Many PREFERENCES items- Synaptic, Software+Update, Disks, only opened up an empty white box, with a few items appearing when you put the cursor over them. The icon pics disappeared on Programs, shutdown, and others on the Panel; network status indicator disappeared (and you couldn't add it), Network connections, Software Manager, or Power wouldn't open, the desktop background picture wouldn't display; the WIFI, added w Broadcom code, lighted up, but couldn't find anyplace to see available networks. Ah, a blank box now pops up that displays available networks. At some point, I got some warning about OpenGL damage or problem- seems to be a display problem (I hope).

Most programs- FF, Writer, notepad, etc, seem to work OK. UPDATE: After tweaking some setting in Default Apps for LX session, most programs then displayed- somehow everything got unchecked in Software Sources. Tried Gnome checkbox on Lx session/Settings/Dbus, didn;t do anything... but think I need to change icon display to Gnome. After changed the source to US site, got the -73 kernel update from -71. But still have no icons, no background pic, several programs don't open at all after they want password- Bleachbit, Tweak, Software Manager, ClamAV. Need to clear space with the first 2, cause even after deleting old kernels, have little space.

Please help- I really don't want to go through installation all again.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Broken or strange Peppermint 5 installation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »
Why Peppermint 5 and not 6 ?

what's the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -C display

you do not need the gnome icons unless you;ve changed to them from faince (or whatever they were by default in Peppermint 5)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
Well, I had Pep5 already burned and thought a newer one would just have more my computer couldn't handle.   

*-display UNCLAIMED     
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
       vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm agp agp-3.0 vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:e2100000-e211ffff ioport:a000(size=128)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:03:29 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Encapsulating output with [code] »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
The SiS drivers are rubbish in recent versions of Linux .. they haven't been updated for years and as far as I know don't work with recent versions of xorg.

If this is a desktop I'd suggest getting a different graphics card.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »
Afraid it's a laptop. I thought Linux, especially Ubuntu, had drivers for everything and anything by now. Anything I can do? That wouldn't cause programs to not open though, would it?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:08:07 pm »
Maybe try an old distro/version .. but I'd expect you to need to go back quite a way.

There's nothing "ubuntu" can do about it .. xorg moves on, and if the manufacturer doesn't keep the drivers current they'll stop working .. ubuntu (or the kernel devs) can't be expected to do open source drivers for every piece of hardware, particularly ones that aren't in use much any more, and where the manufacturer didn't make the code available ;)

maybe this will help:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis

Peppermint 3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 .. but you might want to try that configuration in Peppermint 5 first .. you never know...

[EDIT]

BTW, welcome to the forum .. even if things are off to a bad start :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:11:04 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »
But it all displayed OK after first installation, with the 0-29 kernel???  So it can't be a compatibility problem with the whole OS.

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:46:15 pm »
- display UNCLAIMED sounds big and obvious, so should be easier to fix?? You mean it really doesn't know what to use for driver and is just guessing??

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »
Thanks.  Is this a fix- it lists Ubuntu 14.4 and my video module: SIS M760GX ???
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man4/sis.4.html

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:40 pm »
Is there any output from:
lspci -vnn | grep 1039
if not, what's the full output from:
lspci -vnn

[EDIT]

I'm guessing the output from the above commands will suggest you need the sisfb (framebuffer) driver .. the problem is that driver is blacklisted for various reasons, which is why it's not being loaded .. I'm putting this link here for future reference:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/697731/despite-configuring-modprobe-and-un-blacklisting-why-does-sisfb-module-not-load
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:39:59 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
Well I got this message alot when I tried to instal things in Terminal (this time trying to install Skype in Synaptic):   YOU HAVE HELD BROKEN PACKAGES, UNABLE TO INSTALL......   Tried to fix broken packages in Synaptic, said dependencies satisfied. But again, everything displayed fine when I had 0-29 kernel.

In that link you gave, is this applicable? I have no xorg.conf file in that folder.
>I then found that my splash screen became garbled and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file was renamed to xorg.conf.11282015 (today's date in MMDDYYYY format), I lost my resolution and the colours were all funny. I managed to fix >this with the command sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.11282015 /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rebooting.

lspci -vnn | grep 1039
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760 Host [1039:0760] (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge) [1039:0002] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:02.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] LPC Controller [1039:0963] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus [0c05]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2/3 SMBus controller [1039:0016]
00:02.5 IDE interface [0101]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 IDE Controller [1039:5513] (prog-if 80 [Master])
00:02.6 Modem [0703]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller [1039:7013] (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller [1039:7012] (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB controller [0c03]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller [1039:7001] (rev 0f) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
00:03.1 USB controller [0c03]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller [1039:7001] (rev 0f) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
00:03.2 USB controller [0c03]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller [1039:7002] (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
00:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet [1039:0900] (rev 91)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter [1039:6330] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 02:30:45 pm »
Is that guy's fix usable in Peppermint- what is different, or what should I try exactly?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
Does everything STILL display properly in the original (29) kernel ?

Hold shift immediately after turning on your PC to access the GRUB menu .. then select the 29 kernel (probably under the "Advanced" submenu)

If it does, we have 2 options .. set the 29 kernel as the default, or try an even newer kernel (or both)

[EDIT]

Or you could just try Peppermint 6 ;)

[EDIT 2]

Do you want to try installing the more recent 3.19 kernel and xorg stack and see if that helps ?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:40:58 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline harrisk

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »
Sorry, I suddenly realized all the updates had zeroed out the space and deleted both older kernels before I remembered that the first one worked. Why in the world would a newer Pepper,mint work with an antique driver?

Sure, more recent kernel + Xorg stack- how do I do that? But does that ASK guys fix directly translate to Peppermint- that sounds easier first? Or, since I get these broken packages warnings, how about just reinstalling Xorg, or whatever else handles display??? Since it worked initially. I am HOLDING BROKEN PACKAGES, bad for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:04:42 pm by harrisk »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:04 pm »
Why in the world would a newer Peppermint work with an antique driver?

It wouldn't necessarily .. but you're telling me your system worked with kernel 3.13.0-29, and the sisfb driver would have been blacklisted there too, so I can only assume that the vesa drivers worked better with that kernel and your hardware .. which makes me wonder if it's simply a kernel regression in 3.13.0-71 and any other kernel would work .. Peppermint 6 has a later kernel (3.16 series).

But does that ASK guys fix directly translate to Peppermint- that sounds easier first?

Erm YES .. but from what I'm reading he never fully got the sisfb driver fully working

and NO .. it's NOT the easier option .. moving to the new kernel (3.19.0-39) would be the easiest option but it will (at least at first) require you to have room to install it .. how much room do you currently have ?
df -h
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:04:24 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec