Choose style:

Author Topic: Reasons to be thankful  (Read 1544 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Reasons to be thankful
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »
Hi guys

I was watching last weeks Linux Action Show which was based on reasons to be be thankful for Linux and open source in general and there was a few projects put forward such as openssl and apache etc,

for me Linux and open source flies in the face of the general rule that "you only get what you pay for" which is generally true but FOSS is one of the few things in this world (possibly the only thing) that is actually free with no strings attached and for that I am extremely thankful

So I'm just curious what FOSS projects are you guys most thankful for  ?

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Reasons to be thankful
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:19:27 pm »
Blender.  I love doing 3D CGI, but I can't afford right now to buy new software.  Since Blender is FOSS, I'm using it, which helped me kick Windows to the curb. I also really like GIMP and Inkscape, which I also use for CGI.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
Blender.  I love doing 3D CGI, but I can't afford right now to buy new software.  Since Blender is FOSS, I'm using it, which helped me kick Windows to the curb. I also really like GIMP and Inkscape, which I also use for CGI.

So if you could afford it would you bin Blender and use some other proprietary program ?,

I only ask that because as much as I've tried I just can't get my head around Blender or Inkscape but I can see their potential if only I had the intelligence to use them, but you're right about GIMP, I love GIMP and I can use it to some extent  and ok it may not be as good or as feature rich as Photoshop but it's brought quality photo editing to ordinary people like me who just want to try creative stuff with family photos so I think we definitely have a lot to be thankful for GIMP

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:51:30 pm »
Talking of Blender .. I'd love a 3D Peppermint logo (preferably on a transparent background so it could be reused over and over on anything up to 2560x1600), so if anyone knows how......
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:53:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:35:00 pm »
I'm most thankful for Peppermint Linux OS --with its outstanding A-Team right here.  And within Peppermint, I really appreciate Chromium browser.  Peppermint forum is my favorite place on the Web. 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:07:58 pm »

So if you could afford it would you bin Blender and use some other proprietary program ?,

I only ask that because as much as I've tried I just can't get my head around Blender or Inkscape but I can see their potential if only I had the intelligence to use them, but you're right about GIMP, I love GIMP and I can use it to some extent  and ok it may not be as good or as feature rich as Photoshop but it's brought quality photo editing to ordinary people like me who just want to try creative stuff with family photos so I think we definitely have a lot to be thankful for GIMP

Graeme

I'm looking at Modo, which isn't FOSS, but it is Linux compatible.  Though, it also costs $1799 USD, which is a bit steep for me right now.  Blender is decent software, I'm actually getting reasonably proficient at it.  However, I just don't like how some of the tools work VS how they do in other software, such as Lightwave.  I used Lightwave for a few years and really like it, but it's not Linux compatible.

Talking of Blender .. I'd love a 3D Peppermint logo (preferably on a transparent background so it could be reused over and over on anything up to 2560x1600), so if anyone knows how......

I remember you sending me a message about that.  Unfortunately, I had since forgotten about it.  I sbould be able to whip something up on Tuesday, my next day off.