Choose style:

Author Topic: UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 5000  (Read 2812 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 5000
« on: December 07, 2015, 04:57:14 pm »
Hi all, I'm trying to help my son in Florida change the boot order on his Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series.  It's one these funky UEFI jobs.  I have no experience with these.  Does anyone know what he has to do, so he can fire up a Live USB stick?  It is the 64-bit respin ISO.   What will he have to do to install Peppermint Six  as a dual boot with Windows 10?  Many thanks in advance  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: UEFI on Dell Inspiron 15 5000
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »
I recommend EasyBCD.  It can be installed in Windows and used to easily modify Windows' bootloader.  You can simply add boot entries for anything and change the boot order.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:03:28 pm »
EasyBCD aint gonna work in UEFI mode .. the boot process is totally different:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/uefi/

He'll have to access the boot manager screen .. possibly the F12 key (immediately after turning on the PC)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:06:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:54 pm »
According to the EasyBCD website, it works with Windows 10 and UEFI.  But, I don't know more than that because I got off the Windows train before UEFI.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:06:40 am »
Thanks guys, he's managed to boot into a Live Session.  I'll probably ask again when he wants to dual boot.  I think he'll need to make a Windows 10 rescue disk or something.  I'm so out of touch with Windows.  I want to make a custom Partition Table with a separate /DATA partition for him.  I'll use good old Team Viewer for that.  That shouldn't affect how I use GParted  :-\?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:29:21 am »
According to the EasyBCD website, it works with Windows 10 and UEFI.  But, I don't know more than that because I got off the Windows train before UEFI.

Cool, they must have updated it then.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:55:11 am »
Thanks guys, he's managed to boot into a Live Session.  I'll probably ask again when he wants to dual boot.  I think he'll need to make a Windows 10 rescue disk or something.  I'm so out of touch with Windows.  I want to make a custom Partition Table with a separate /DATA partition for him.  I'll use good old Team Viewer for that.  That shouldn't affect how I use GParted  :-\?

Yeah, you always want to make a Windows Recovery disc before making any major changes to a Windows PC.  That way, if something gets messed up, he'll be able to return the computer to its original factory specs.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 Beta / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:55:16 am »
http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

nice graphical process of getting into the uefi bios settings where you can then alter the boot order of the hdd.   You can also do this by holding down the "shift" key as you click on "restart"

I would not recommend making any changes in Live mode to the partition structure using gparted if windows 10 is involved.   In windows 10 Disk Management reduce the size of the windows partition making the free space you want for Peppermint, unless you fully understand the laptops partition structure (I don't on my Lenovo) just reduce the main Windows partition and leave all the rest as is.   Then when you boot Live, install as normal (carving up the free space you made as needed) and it will dual boot just fine (My Lenovo did).

Good Luck...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 Beta x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:32:04 pm »
Hi zebedeeboss, thanks for the info  ;).  Yeah, you've just confirmed what I was hoping to hear.  I can reduce the size of the main Windows partition and then carve it up using the Something Else option in the Ubiquity Installer.  That'll make a nice custom partition table.  I'll get him to make a Windows 10 rescue disk before he installs Peppermint Six just to play safe.  Thanks again for the help.  We do have a great forum  ;).